Mar 7, 2012
    Indiana
    Boresnake_2.jpg

canav844

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 22, 2011
    x2 on the boresnake, I spray a little CLP on the cleaning part run it through and I'm usually G2G right from that point, run it through again if I don't think I got it all. Both were in stock at my local Gander right next to each other on the shelf.

Richwon4

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 13, 2011
    Northern IN
    I see them different places, but it looks like the tip is not smaller than my .17 cleaning tip and that once loaded with a partial patch has a tough time getting down the bore of the 22.

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    I think more damage is done to .22 bores and crowns by cleaning them, than by leaving them alone. When I feel like I must clean one, I use a piece of plastic line trimmer. On one end of the line, I melt a ball. I cut the other end of the line at a sharp angle, so a cloth cleaning patch can be pierced and threaded onto the line. I use solvent and/ or Kroil on the initial patch, let it sit and then use clean dry patches. I never use a metal bore brush or snake on a good .22 bore. I only use a bronze brush (.25 caliber) to scrub out the chamber.

walker

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 10, 2010
    Terre Haute
    Pull the cleaning rod thru instead of trying to push it thru. Thought I was going to kink the cleaning rod the first time I cleaned the.17.. Run the cleaning rod down the barrel, attach brush, pull back out.

XDLover

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2012
    Delaware County
    I have thin metal wire, I wrap cleaning cloth on the end around it and put Hoppes on it and pull through. My 17 is a bolt action and I just drop the bolt. After its set I pull a clean cloth through and repeat til clean. For my 22 I have a smaller patch head that my grandfather made (he was a tool maker) and its small and causes no issues.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Unless you've got a REALLY mucked up bore... A pass or two of a dry boresnake is all you're likely to need.

The action, however, especially if a semi-auto, is where you want to stop & smell the roses & take your time, so to speak.

-J-

Top Bottom