• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cg21

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    May 5, 2012
    OK so we went to the range with my wifes brand new ruger p95.... I am responsible for cleaning all the guns.

Keep in mind I am new to firearms also. As I was cleaning spraying that power blast crap on the all the dirty looking parts. Some dripped out and got onto the polymer? frame and it discolored the grips anyone have a similiar problem and or solution? I am sure the cleaner wasnt supposed to drip onto the plastic.

geronimojoe85

Master
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Nov 16, 2009
    Well, some solvents just do that. Question is how bad is it?
    Rugers are tough knock-around guns anyway, wear it proud as a badge of honor, or get a sharpie or some black nail polish and call it good.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Are you using "Gun Scrubber"? If so, get the one that is Polymer Safe. I used the regular one and it discolored a small spot on my P95 that I had. Afterwards,I made sure to get the polymer safe one just in case. Everything has been fine since.

This ^^^^^^^

There was a thread on here a few years back where a guy actually severely damaged his P95 with regular Gun Scrubber. Said it was melting the poly and making soft spots:eek: I have a P95 great gun but even the 1/2 of poly ( OK it's not really that thick) is vulnerable to the chemicals in Gun Scrubber. Hoppes will do ya just fine. I am sure by now you have cleaned off the rest.

Great guns. Just use Hoppes 9 or use Hoppes on the poly part and whatever on the rest. OR DON'T CLEANT IT! Currently running a torture test on mine; 850 rounds with only bore snaking between range trips.
    '
    Stopping at 1,000. ( If I can afford to shoot 3 more boxes of 9:xmad:)

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Outers foaming bore cleaner. Stuff works miracles.

Just rinse it out after it's done cleaning. Water then and air compressor, or gunscrubber, either is fine.

Cygnus

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    New England
    Outers foaming bore cleaner. Stuff works miracles.

Just rinse it out after it's done cleaning. Water then and air compressor, or gunscrubber, either is fine.

Really? I am supposed to use water? I just usually run patches through until they come out dry (I clean the barrel with Hoppes prior to the Outer's when I use it.)
    Am I potentially causing any problems by not rinsing it?

Sorry for the :hijack:

M67

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    Southernish Indiana
    Really? I am supposed to use water? I just usually run patches through until they come out dry (I clean the barrel with Hoppes prior to the Outer's when I use it.)
    Am I potentially causing any problems by not rinsing it?

Sorry for the :hijack:

And looks like I :hijack: myself and misread the OP.

My eyes are fubar, I thought he asked how to remove all the crap within the internal parts, and for that the foaming bore cleaner works great. Water is just convenient and super cheap to use for rinsing and as long as it's all gone when you put it back together, you're golden.

I didn't see the discolored frame part until now. Woops.....long day.

Sometimes you can get a discolored frame backa bit by using Flitz gun wax. Doesn't work all the time, but sometimes you get lucky.

Tombs

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    Martinsville
    Why don't you get a sonic cleaner?

If you're not comfortable with detail stripping guns, it's about the only way you're going to honestly get all the crud out of it.

Top Bottom