• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    It's a little different on a .22 as they can be finicky.

For my carry and competition pistols, I clean them approximately every 5 THOUSAND rounds whether they need it or not. This tearing them down and cleaning after every 50-100rd range trip is just silliness (unless you just like doing it).
    ^^ This. ^^

I tend to clean the firearms after a range trip but, for me, that's more a matter of being 'part of the range trip experience'. It's my opportunity to re-familiarize myself with the workings of the particular firearm, check it for anything 'unusual', 'manhandle' it a bit. Just my own thing.

One thing I don't believe was mentioned: While I have it apart, I'll use a magnifying glass (jewelers loupe, actually) to scan over the various parts under a high magnification. It's an opportunity to, perhaps, spot the beginnings of a potential problem. A small crack in a spring, unusual wear in a particular spot, and so forth.

Obviously, not necessary to provide a good cleaning, but IMO it helps with preventive maintenance. For a couple older firearms, I keep an (almost) complete set of small replacement parts: springs, mag followers & springs, triggers, hammer / firing pin, grips, sights, ejectors, extractors, etc. Just any of those little parts that always seem hard to find when ya need 'em. If I notice signs of wear or something 'unusual', I just replace that particular part, then re-order that part to keep it on hand.

A bit OCD perhaps, but it's enabled me to keep a couple old firearms in 'showroom new' condition and trustworthy as EDC firearms. IMO, with older firearms, it's better to have 'that' spare part on-hand, rather than scrambling to find the part (which might be out of stock anywhere ya look) once the firearm no longer works.

I personally don't keep any 'safe queens' (nothing against those who do). They're tools, and all are regularly taken to the range and carried. So, IMO it just makes the most sense to keep them as 'new' and fully functioning as possible. No 'race' or 'custom' guns, no 'hair triggers', no modifications other than, perhaps, grips or night sights. Otherwise 'stock' or 'duty issue' in both appearance and function.

INDYFAN

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 30, 2009
    Fishers
    I don't think it has been mentioned here, but you should have your cleaning equipment on hand prior to the range session. You should clean the factory gunk and junk out before ever pulling he trigger. I have failed to do that only two times and had "operational difficulties" each time. When I did a good cleaning out of the box, no problems.

Top Bottom