• ...and so much more!
  • samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    :rockwoot:

Everyone can help by becoming a member & or donating to the NFATCA.
    This is the ONLY organization working directly with ATFE to help us civys enjoy are NFA Hobby :yesway:
    Heres what i have so far ! This is from the Exec Director of the NFATCA.

I am pleased to report that all branches and offices within ATF have given the official okey dokey to eliminating the CLEO signature requirements for NFA Forms. This includes Counsel's office and the National Sheriffs' Association! The package has been sent on to the Department of Justice with recommendation for approval. The package will include:

1.Elimination of CLEO signature requirement.
    2.Institution of CLEO "notification" similar to an FFL application. (A copy of the form will be sent to the CLEO as opposed to asking for permission.)
    3.Trusts and LLC's and corps will still be available for use.
    4.In the event of #3, a NICS check will be required when the weapon is physically transferred.
    Unknown is whether the Citizenship Compliance form will be eliminated and merged into the various NFA forms instead of being a separate nuisance. ATF is leaning toward elimination.

Last edited:

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    I really don't like the idea of them having a copy of my Form though. It basically means that they will have a register of the weapons I have.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    I really don't like the idea of them having a copy of my Form though. It basically means that they will have a register of the weapons I have.

I agree. But its better than having to have them sign to aquire NFA items !!

While they abhorred having to fulfill a federal obligation without compensation or resource, they still wanted the appearance of being in the loop. Truthfully, there is no mandate or requirement for what happens *after* the notification. Most will simply shred the document because long term storage of the data is a metric pain, especially since the data is already available for trace at ATF.

samot

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 9, 2009
    Your mamas house
    so Samot... what benefits are with the membership? or is it really just a way to donate?
    There are no benefits except what we see happining like with the CLEO sig!!
    The benefit is a organization devoted solely to helping us civilians legally obtain NFA items without so much BS !!

As a member you recieve a monthly newsletter & some inside info before it happens as well as the honor of knowing you helped the NFA hobby as a whole:patriot:
    Im working on some ways to donate that will be a little easier on the wallet then the anual fee !
    When people start seeing results like this, i think more will help the cause due to the fact they are actually getting stuff done :rockwoot:

kevinj110

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 5, 2009
    home
    I agree. But its better than having to have them sign to aquire NFA items !!

While they abhorred having to fulfill a federal obligation without compensation or resource, they still wanted the appearance of being in the loop. Truthfully, there is no mandate or requirement for what happens *after* the notification. Most will simply shred the document because long term storage of the data is a metric pain, especially since the data is already available for trace at ATF.
    True I am probably just over thinking it and worried about nothing. I didn't see anything about finger printing so we will still have to go there to have it done.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    True I am probably just over thinking it and worried about nothing. I didn't see anything about finger printing so we will still have to go there to have it done.

Yep, but if you go to the Franklin PD (since you're from Franklin) they only charge you for 1 set of prints even when you do 2 sets. :rockwoot:

MTC

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    2.Institution of CLEO "notification" similar to an FFL application. (A copy of the form will be sent to the CLEO as opposed to asking for permission.)
    :noway:
    I really don't like the idea of [STRIKE]them[/STRIKE] anyone other than is currently required having a copy of my Form though. It basically means that they will have a register of the weapons I have.
    (added)

Certainly looks like it. If it is as reported here, while it may help those in areas where CLEOs refuse to sign, it would replace one smaller part of the permission process with local registration. What is presently for me a minor annoyance in scheduling a short but decent conversation with the Sheriff on my way for the still required prints, all while not letting that form out of my sight, would be replaced with sending a copy where it was not left before. While nothing may come of it, parties in addition to ATF and FBI would have copies of your personal info, which was formerly at least limited in documentation and dissemination.
    :noway:
    Maybe your local newspaper might like a copy. Hmm...

revsaxon

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2010
    Plano, TX

I know my PD makes a copy of the form I bring to get signed, so this really changes nothing for me. The CLEO in my town is a really great guy though, so I don't mind going to see him. Besides its always worth it for the "What did you buy now" look I get.

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I see this as a win all the way around. When the CLEO signs your form now, even if s/he doesn't make a copy of your form, s/he probably notes down what it was s/he signed. The "registration" of which you speak already exists, or at least can do so, and even if not, as noted, ATF will already give them the info if the ask for it.

Removing the requirement of a signature is a good thing all around, especially in more restrictive states where the CLEOs don't like signing despite the law not prohibiting ownership of such things as suppressors or SBRs

Thanks for sharing it, Samot!

Blessings,
    Bill

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    The biggest thing that has kept me away from NFA is the fact that my CLEO has to be involved. What happens if I have a warrant over a miscommunication? Are they going to send the swat team to serve it because I have NFA? Also, my CLEO is the county sheriff. I've made my beliefs known on various political issues in my county. What if the sheriff takes offense to that? What if I choose to actively campaign against his opponent? Sorry, I shouldn't have to fear a politician to exorcise my 2nd amendment right.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    The biggest thing that has kept me away from NFA is the fact that my CLEO has to be involved. What happens if I have a warrant over a miscommunication? Are they going to send the swat team to serve it because I have NFA? Also, my CLEO is the county sheriff. I've made my beliefs known on various political issues in my county. What if the sheriff takes offense to that? What if I choose to actively campaign against his opponent? Sorry, I shouldn't have to fear a politician to exorcise my 2nd amendment right.

Well, currently you need them to sign-off to even get NFA. And if this goes through you just send them a copy to keep them in the loop, but no longer need their blessing. I'd say that's a step in the right direction.

But if you want to nitpick it and still see it as a negative, then that's your call. :twocents:

Top Bottom