• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I think it is poor product/chemical selection to use it for stupid stuff like grease-resistant French fry containers, though

Like when they used to put acetone in nail polish remover, just because it works doesn't mean it is the safest option, only the cheapest

Actually acetone is one of the few government approved solvents, it's not even counted against your air permit as a volatile. Chemists try to shove it in anywhere they can, but it's high evaporation rate makes it tough to use.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I think it is poor product/chemical selection to use it for stupid stuff like grease-resistant French fry containers, though

Like when they used to put acetone in nail polish remover, just because it works doesn't mean it is the safest option, only the cheapest

I'm not familiar with using fluorinated stuff as a grease barrier coating, back in the day we used cellulose acetate propionate for that.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I'm not familiar with using fluorinated stuff as a grease barrier coating, back in the day we used cellulose acetate propionate for that.

Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances in Food Packaging: Migration, Toxicity, and Management Strategies​

PFASs are known to be found in food packaging and other food contact articles (FCAs) used in the production, processing, transport, handling, and storage of foods. (7) Like many other food contact chemicals (FCCs), PFASs have been shown to migrate from different food contact materials (FCMs), such as paper and board and plastics, into food, allowing for exposure of the general public.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009

Per- and Polyfluoroalkyl Substances in Food Packaging: Migration, Toxicity, and Management Strategies​

We did what was known as FDA "extraction studies" to determine if anything outside limits was getting into the product that was packaged. A good product we made was for something as humble as bakery doughnut boxes that blocked grease transfer into the carton and also allowed the doughnuts to release from the carton easier. Never used fluoro surfactants for this as they were new and very expensive. Common soybean lecithin worked very well as a release and still does today.

It's the working ingredient in Pam cooking spray.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    “The administration’s move on wetlands appears to be part of a concerted effort to get as many rules and regulations as possible in place by the end of the year, in the event there is no second Biden term.”

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    “The administration’s move on wetlands appears to be part of a concerted effort to get as many rules and regulations as possible in place by the end of the year, in the event there is no second Biden term.”

Then Trump should do the same thing Biden did. Day one have a stack of EOs ready to sign to wipe all that nonsense away.

jwamplerusa

High drag, low speed...
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 21, 2018
    Boone County
    Then Trump should do the same thing Biden did. Day one have a stack of EOs ready to sign to wipe all that nonsense away.
    Really just need one big one. An executive order with a listing of all prior executive orders rescinding them and directing that any rules, regulations, or policy based upon them is to immediately begin the process of rescission through the bureaucratic process which created the rule regulation or policy.

The executive order then needs to explicitly state that no member of the executive branch May violate any provision of the Constitution under the most restrictive interpretation and doing so is grounds for immediate termination.

Next stanza would be to prohibit any executive branch entity from proposing a rule regulation or policy which was not explicitly directed by an enrolled act of Congress duly signed by the president of the United States.

The rest of the document can outline the restructuring of the government of the United States. Listing the agencies and departments to be terminated, and those elements of agencies and departments which would be consolidated with others. This would also be an excellent place to simply State everyone with a social security number that ends in an odd number is terminated X days after signature of the executive order.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I wish I understood this process better but the talking heads seem to say it is not that simple, and I suspect it is not. A practical side of me says it would be whiplash to go back and forth on on what congress should have legislated…

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    We did what was known as FDA "extraction studies" to determine if anything outside limits was getting into the product that was packaged. A good product we made was for something as humble as bakery doughnut boxes that blocked grease transfer into the carton and also allowed the doughnuts to release from the carton easier. Never used fluoro surfactants for this as they were new and very expensive. Common soybean lecithin worked very well as a release and still does today.

It's the working ingredient in Pam cooking spray.
    And that was a perfectly acceptable choice with few unwanted consequences. I don't know what is behind the expansion of such PFAS impregnated packaging, I just think it is unwise. The idea that greasy food shouldn't mean greasy packaging seems like much ado about nothing and maybe shouldn't generate that much concern given their prevalence and persistence in the environment. Perhaps limit usage to more important areas such as surgical implements and sterile packaging

Because it was nearby, I remember when discovery in a lawsuit revealed that DuPont had been knowingly polluting water supplies in Parkersburg WVa with PFOA since the early 1980s and had known no later than 1993 via their own captive studies that the chemical was a carcinogen for testicular, pancreatic and liver tumors in lab animals yet elected to keep using it because the products they made with it were worth $1 billion per year to the bottom line. When 3M phased out production they began manufacturing their own supply

I'm not really a believer that feeding mice doses of contaminants far over what they likely could ever accumulate in their lifetimes in order to speed up the appearance any deleterious effects is a valid methodology but neither would I willingly drink even small amounts on a regular basis. Dumping industrial waste in waterways (or indeed injecting it into the ground like PG&E) and then pretending that's the end of any concern is not good stewardship or good business practice

Top Bottom