• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    How safe are the new imbing stands? Been looking at the Summit stands and they look well built. Got picked to a deer reduction hunt and thought that may be a good option since I had planed on a ground blind but they are not allowed. I have a hunter safty system I use on my ladderstands.

remauto1187

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 25, 2012
    Stepping Stone
    How safe are the new imbing stands? Been looking at the Summit stands and they look well built. Got picked to a deer reduction hunt and thought that may be a good option since I had planed on a ground blind but they are not allowed. I have a hunter safty system I use on my ladderstands.

Ive been using a Summit Razor since 2006/7 and Ill never go back to a ladder stand. You will fall asleep in the Razor! They are that comfortable and very easy to hook up and then go up the tree. Worth every penny! I usually sit at 23-25ft+ off the ground. Ive got this wicked buck call that sounds alot like snoring!

IndianaSlim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Summits are good stands. But mine hasn't left the garage for 2 years. For something portable I went to a lone wolf assault and 4 bucksteps strapped to it. My problem with climbers is there is NEVER the right tree where I want to be. With the setup I described above I can get 20-22 ft every time and hang it faster than most people with climbers.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I love my climber. Started using it for the first time last year. Mine comes with a ratchet strap so when I am where I want to be, I am locked in. I find that I would have to climb out of the stand, which is not easy, to fall out of it. As mentioned above, I typically fall asleep for a while prior to sunrise.

I have used it back in PA where there are more hills and have gone up above 30 feet. The view is amazing. Finding the right tree can be a little challenging from time to time.

I feel they are the safest of all the tree stands when used with a ratchet.

selinoid44

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 11, 2010
    northern Indiana
    I love my Summit Viper SS! Is it safe? Heck yes. The most comfortable stand Ive ever sat in period. You learn pretty quickly the dos and donts. For example when you drop something from above, sometimes the only way to retrieve it is go back down. Be prepared, make a list and have what you need before you get up there. Also once your at the hieght you want to be, getting the space right for your sitting position vs your standing position is critical for a comfortable sit. (the distance between the platform and where you sit) Also you can make your rope that you pull your bow up with 25' or the distance you want to climb, and then you know how high in the tree you are.

neeltburn

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    Thanks guys, what is the stand to ger now? Looking at several of the summits just now sure how I will like it as I prefer ladder stands. I just am thinking for these two hunt this year it may be a good option.

buckstopshere

Master
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Jan 18, 2010
    Greenwood
    I love my Summit Viper SS! Is it safe? Heck yes. The most comfortable stand Ive ever sat in period. You learn pretty quickly the dos and donts. For example when you drop something from above, sometimes the only way to retrieve it is go back down. Be prepared, make a list and have what you need before you get up there. Also once your at the hieght you want to be, getting the space right for your sitting position vs your standing position is critical for a comfortable sit. (the distance between the platform and where you sit) Also you can make your rope that you pull your bow up with 25' or the distance you want to climb, and then you know how high in the tree you are.

Great reminder here. Couple years ago, I must've still been half asleep as I grabbed my rope, tied it off to my stand, got up to about 30' and started reeling in. It was a bad time to realize I failed to tie off my bow! Had to climb back down and start over. Sucked!

TheBigTim

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 20, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Summit is a great stand! I am pushing 300# and feel very safe in my Summit. Best sleep in the woods you can get.

The issues everyone mentioned are right on. You need a straight tree without limbs. (Not always easy to find, especially in the dark)

The flexibility of having a stand on you back is great. Set up wherever you want. But it is one more thing you have to haul with you in the woods.

Also they are a bit loud to set up. Because you have to hook it up to a tree and climb with it. (compared to a latter or lock on that is already set up). That being said I have shot plenty of deer out of my Summit.

No one tree stand is perfect for every situation, thats why you have to have lots of them.... or at least thats what I tell my wife.

nkhrfh

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Feb 21, 2012
    I have a summit viper and have had no problems. I would recommend not choosing any slick bark trees as a climber wont get a good bite and it makes for an exciting/scary ascent and descent.

MRP2003

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 50%
    1   1   0
    Aug 16, 2011
    Greenwood
    I love my API. I do not have to worry about the straps wearing out since they are basically plastic coated chain. Not sure what the straps are made out of on the Summits but they seem like they would wear out quicker. That said, I have never heard a bad thing about the summit stands.

I would recommend making back straps to carry your stand in. My wife bought me a backpack type carrying system. It is 10 times better than anything else I have ever sen or used. It has the strap that goes around the waist just like the big heavy back packs. Makes the stand feel 15-20 lbs lighter which is huge if you like to hike in 1 to 2 miles to hunt on the reserve hunts. The system is made of all military grade straps and buckles. Made in Erie, pa and there are models for each brand.

bstewrat3

Master
    Rating - 100%
    142   0   0
    Apr 26, 2009
    Beech Grove
    I used a Summit Viper for several years before I bought a Lone Wolf Assault climber. As many have said the Summit is very comfortable and it is relatively light weight, but the Lone Wolf is even lighter and a little quieter to set up. The cable on the Summit gives a good amount of adjustment for different diameter trees, but the belt on the Lone Wolf has even finer adjustments. The downside to the Lone Wolf is, if you like to nap in the tree make sure you have good fall protection and have it adjusted correctly to minimized your fall because there are no rails to catch you. As far as the rubber coated cables of the Summit go, I somehow managed to wear through the coating on two sets.

Whitsettd8

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 15, 2011
    Floyd Co
    I hunt the Summit Viper been using it for 5 years now and love it. I don't have a lot of experience with other climbers so I can't say it's the best out there. I'm 250lbs and feel perfectly safe in mine. I haven't had any issues with slippage although sometimes it will bite and get stuck in the tree causing some frustration when climbing. I did replace the shoulder straps on it. The originals are .75 inch nylon web and they start to hurt after carrying it for a while. I replaced them with 2 gun slings I rigged up and has worked out nicely. The top and bottom stack together nicely and I can tuck my hunting pack in the back on top of it all and I'm good to go. Get one of the lighter models if you have a good hike weight adds up fast especially when your dragging a deer.

Kernal1984

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 15, 2012
    Scottsburg
    Only thing I've ever owned is an API high point and I love it. Almost everyone else I know has a summit climber but when I was looking it just seemed like the chain would grab the tree better than a cable.

If I ever get another it will be the biggest one I can get cause even though it's heavier the extra room would be nice up there

bdybdall

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 11, 2012
    I had a Summit Shooter II Boss and it was very comfortable, but you know how it is. You always want something different. Now I've got an Ole' Man climber stand. Another great stand.

shooter1054

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    South Indianapolis
    On public land I like the climbers. On private land I love the ladderstands. Set them up and be done with it. Climbers have their place and do very well. But having hunted on private land, it's so nice to not have to carry an extra 25 lbs on my back up those hills. Summit makes a great stand. So does API and just about any other big name company. Ladder stands, I'm not so concerned with the name. As long as it is sturdy and looks well constructed, I'm good with it. Untill I see a problem(welds cracking, difficult assembly, comfort issues,etc.)

Top Bottom