• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    Went to a local indoor range today to get rid of some stress and have some fun with a Glock 36 and Colt 1911. All was going great having a great time and shooting some nice groups. After about 75 - 80 rounds this came flying back at me:

picture.php

It glanced off my left arm, dinged the sheetrock behind me and landed on a shelf. I didn't really know what it was or how big and sharp the shrapnel was when it hit me. We've all be hit by back splatter and the occasional bit of lead but this sucker was substantial. Yes I always wear eye protection, just for this reason, but if it hit me in the face it would have been a trip to the ER for sure. I sometimes forget that no matter how safe we are, accidents happen when you are using a firearm. Multiple controlled explosions causing rapid expulsion of a projectile can still be dangerous.

I'm not quite sure what it was from, I didn't hit the target carrier, ceiling or floor. The best the range master and I could come up with was that my round hit something laying on the backstop and set it flying right back at me.

Always be careful when around firearms. Although I often refer to them as toys, they are not.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    WOW! That sure is enough to freak you out! I am pretty sure I know where you were. I have had the same thing happen there more than once. One time actually did hit my face. It was just a minor scratch, but caught me off guard. Glad you are okay.

BTW, how is that range these days? It has been a couple years since I have shot there.
    What, was it too cold for Roush today?! ;)

Armed-N-Ready

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Ft. Wayne
    WOW! That sure is enough to freak you out! I am pretty sure I know where you were. I have had the same thing happen there more than once. One time actually did hit my face. It was just a minor scratch, but caught me off guard. Glad you are okay.

BTW, how is that range these days? It has been a couple years since I have shot there.
    What, was it too cold for Roush today?! ;)

Thanks John, yep a bit too chilly for Roush. Glad you were not hurt too bad either. The range has improved a bit, new target carriers, working fans and temperature was not too hot or cold inside.

bullfrog4ever

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 21, 2010
    AKA: IN_Sheeppuppy
    This happened to me at a local indoor range as well. I was shooting and got hit with something in my stomach. I brushed it off, thinking a hot shell casing had hit me. As time went on, everything was fine, until I had a huge chunk hit me in the neck very hard. It wasn't too far from my carotid artery. It was about the size of a quarter as well. I went investigating, i checked my target and holder and everything was accounted for. I asked the guy next too me, figuring he was hitting the holder since he was making head shots. Nope. His holder and target was fine, all rounds accounted for. So when checked the next lane, 2 lanes down from me. Brought the holder back down and what did we discover? A large half moon shape missing out of the target holder!! It was about the size of a half dollar!! Well, as it turns out, the couple that had just left that lane, the guy was teaching his girlfriend to shoot, telling her stupidly to make headshots when she barely knew how to use the weapon. I thought nothing of it at the time, when I was shooting, thinking, what a fun date that would be. But, a lot of her headshots were high, hitting the holder, making the shrapnel and hitting me a few times 2 lanes away! By the time we figured this out, they were long gone.

The moral of the story, don't teach headshots to someone whose brand new and always wear a flack jacket w/ neck guard and Kevlar to the range!

Glad you're OK. Glad I'm not the only one this has happened to.

JohnP82

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks John, yep a bit too chilly for Roush. Glad you were not hurt too bad either. The range has improved a bit, new target carriers, working fans and temperature was not too hot or cold inside.

Sounds good! That was a nice size piece, none of the ones I got hit with were quite that big.

I like the idea of them getting some better fans! :yesway:
    I remember spending hours on end in there and the ventilation was not the greatest.

malern28us

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 26, 2009
    Huntington, Indiana
    Glad to hear you are ok. I have always been wary when shooting since seeing that video of the guy shooting a .50 cal with his buddies at the quarry. When that round ricochets and knocks his ear muffs off, I got sick to my stomach.

rphutchi

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 11, 2011
    Have no experience w/ indoor range shooting. Have always had access to rural property w/ natural backstops. How common is this.
    P.S. Glad to hear your injuries were minor.

Top Bottom