Close family member with a shady past asks for a huge favor...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hustlehard

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    Noblesville
    So I have this cousin that I'm really cool with. and yesterday he asked me if he can take one of my guns to the range (taurus pt25) Now he's never asked before and I've NEVER seen him at the range...flags! he does have a history of reckless use, what would you guys say?

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    No

If you aren't 100% certain about loaning out one of your guns then don't do it. The fact that you are asking on here says that you aren't certain. Go with your gut feeling and say no.

gmviso

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 3, 2009
    NE Indiana
    I assume he does not have a carry permit. Why would you let him take it? Also, if he were to use it for some nefarious purpose, would you not be luable, and bear guilt? I say NO WAY!

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    Family or not, it would be irresponsible to let anyone take possession of a firearm without being certain of their legality and intentions. I believe you know this or you wouldn't be questioning it. However, it appears that there are many of us willing to reassure you about what you already know.

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    If he doesn't have a LTCH he can't legally take the gun anywhere. If you don't have your LTCH you can't take it to the range either. Many threads here explain the legality. If you have the smallest of doubts I would say NO.

indianajoe

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 24, 2009
    Fishers
    I'd say absolutely not, and refer to Indiana Code:

IC 35-47-2-7

Prohibited sales or transfers of ownership
    Sec. 7. (a) Except an individual acting within a parent-minor child or guardian-minor protected person relationship or any other individual who is also acting in compliance with IC 35-47-10, a person may not sell, give, or in any other manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun or assault weapon (as defined in IC 35-50-2-11) to any person under eighteen (18) years of age.
    (b) It is unlawful for a person to sell, give, or in any manner transfer the ownership or possession of a handgun to another person who the person has reasonable cause to believe:
    (1) has been:
    (A) convicted of a felony; or
    (B) adjudicated a delinquent child for an act that would be a felony if committed by an adult, if the person seeking to obtain ownership or possession of the handgun is less than twenty-three (23) years of age;
    (2) is a drug abuser;
    (3) is an alcohol abuser; or
    (4) is mentally incompetent.

Hope the right answer is screaming out loud to you.

ezdubbin97

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2009
    Lafayette
    Absolutely do not give it to him. Think about how you'd feel if he used it to commit a crime...not worth it. If he wants to try it out, just do as someone else suggested and take him to the range with you sometime.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    I've always found that most of the time "IF YOU HAVE TO ASK WHY THERE IS ABOUT A 90% CHANCE THAT YOU SHOULDN'T and you are just trying to make up an excuse for WHY!"

disengaged

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 16, 2009
    Madison County
    Yeah, go with your gut. I doesn't sound like you really want to give it to him.

I like the idea of going with him to the range. If he doesn't bite, then he was probably up to no good anyway.

Woodsman

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 19, 2009
    New albany
    If he has a shady past, I'm not sure if I would be responsible for providing firearm training either. The fact that you felt there were some flags is proof there might be potential blow-back on this request.

Family or not I would say sorry, can't help you.

Arm America

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2009
    West of Greenwood
    Same here, I'd pass until he went with you and you felt comfortable that he
    understood all ramifications and responsibilities that go with possession of a handgun.

Possession of a handgun carries a great responsability with it.

jennybird

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Martinsville, IN
    So I have this cousin that I'm really cool with. and yesterday he asked me if he can take one of my guns to the range (taurus pt25) Now he's never asked before and I've NEVER seen him at the range...flags! he does have a history of reckless use, what would you guys say?

:lmfao: Ahhh family... God love em!

So you're probably like most people and feel uncomfortable telling someone "no". Lemme ask you this... how comfortable are you going to feel saying "I'm sorry your honor, I didn't know he was going to do that with my gun!"???

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 21, 2009
    In a fog
    No way. Offer to take him to the range with you, but under no circumstances just hand over one of your guns to him. Too many things could go wrong under this scenario.

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008

No

If you can't afford to buy it, you can't afford to borrow it.
    If you can't afford to give it away, you can't afford to loan it out.
    Words to live by. You won't be sorry.

Top Bottom