• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • moosebag

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Leaks a small amount of water on the floor every now and then. Not every cycle though and not much water, maybe two cups or so. I have checked the back end and found no indication of any issues there. The washer is a Sears Kenmore and is about 8 years old. Last week it vibrated horribly when a load of blue jeans got out of balance. After that is when we first noticed signs of water. What could it be and where do I start first? :dunno:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Make sure all of the connections for the hoses are tight. Especially check the drain hose at the washer because it is down low and usually held on by a spring clip.

Brown

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    Brownsburg
    had the exact same problem with mine. White Westinghouse that is 15+ yrs old. only leaked on the spin cycle.

Here is what I found :
    Open the top of the unit and get down to the top of the drum. there will be a "cap" on the top of the tub that goes up under the lip of the top inlet where you load the clothes.

The seal that is under that cap between it and the tub was deteriorated. that is why on spin cycle it would leak. Warning it is a ^*(Q#$)^ to get that top off. Once I did decided with the age of the washer and cost of a new seal that silicone sounded about right.

worked like a charm. no leaks and wife not complainin

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    Leaks a small amount of water on the floor every now and then. Not every cycle though and not much water, maybe two cups or so. I have checked the back end and found no indication of any issues there. The washer is a Sears Kenmore and is about 8 years old. Last week it vibrated horribly when a load of blue jeans got out of balance. After that is when we first noticed signs of water. What could it be and where do I start first? :dunno:

You need to get her to a doctor FAST!!!

:D

GREEN607

Master
    Rating - 99%
    99   1   0
    Apr 15, 2011
    INDIANAPOLIS
    Unlike the internal workings of a dishwasher..... washing machines do not 'recycle' water during their operation.... thus there are no 'connective' hoses.

Like 'Brown' above said, it is likely that agitator seal.

I'm not a "Maytag repairman"... but I play one on the internet. ;)

Suprtek

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 27, 2009
    Wanamaker
    I can't be sure but this might be worth checking. Most washers have some sort of a trap in the plumbing under the drum. If it gets clogged, it may not be pumping out enough water before it spins resulting in water splashing over the top of the drum and running down. Sometimes this can cause it to not complete a cycle or take longer to complete a cycle. I've found coins, hairpins, and even small rags stuck in there before. Good luck and let us know what happens.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    We have a Whirlpool Cabrio that's about seven years old and ours has started to vibrate as well and leaking a little. We got an electical problem fixed yesterday and the tech said that our bearing is getting bad and that there is a seal by the bearing that starts to leak.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    You might want to watch it through a cycle or two to see when it starts to leak to get some clues. I'm thinking I had Kenmore one time that developed a leak in the water pump. As memory serves, it wasn't too hard to change out.

Nayls47

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 26, 2009
    Noble County
    Depending on where the drum stops (toward the front or toward the back by the water inlet) water starts filling the tub and water will splash out and over the top of the tub. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't. It's a real pain in the rump.

danbb

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 31, 2012
    Cedar Lake
    I had it where the drain hose coming out of the water pump had a pinhole, right after an off-balance load. Only during the spin cycle does the water pump push the water out through that hose, so it only leaked during spin, and only a cup or two. I believe it was on a whirlpool

Mackey

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    interwebs
    You might want to watch it through a cycle or two to see when it starts to leak to get some clues. I'm thinking I had Kenmore one time that developed a leak in the water pump. As memory serves, it wasn't too hard to change out.

Same thing happened to me, replaced a pump and all was well. It was a plastic job and developed a crack in it.

Scarecrow

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 25, 2009
    Grissom
    Depending on where the drum stops (toward the front or toward the back by the water inlet) water starts filling the tub and water will splash out and over the top of the tub. Sometimes it does it and sometimes it doesn't. It's a real pain in the rump.

This was also our problem. I tried moving the water inlet as far forward as it would let me. If it got off balance, it could have weakened the springs so the drum doesn't stop exactly center.

ROLEXrifleman

Master
    Rating - 100%
    55   0   0
    Feb 7, 2009
    NW Indiana
    If the leak is coming from the front of the machine and only happens when it's draining the water it's most likely the drain pump.
    Did one on the inlaws over the summer, $26 and 45 minutes of my time.

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwV71h86Gxw&feature=youtube_gdata_player[/ame]

Btw, the inlaws' was a 4 year old Kenmore. Replacement part was available at the Kmart service center.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    My GE was leaking a few months ago and since we don't have a water softner it was due to calcium buildup on the sprayer during the preload and rinse cycles. The plastic sprayer was getting clogged and not able to shoot the stream as hard so the excess was running down the sprayer, down the back of the drum and onto the floor. I removed, soaked in CLR and fixed my issue.

aclark

Master
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Apr 22, 2009
    The 219
    Open the top after it happens and see if its wet. I know ours sometimes gets out of balance and splashes water onto the lid. Sometimes it will drip down outside the drum and down onto the floor underneath. Not really leaking, just splashing.

moosebag

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    Indiana
    Good news... Found the leak!

Big thanks to "ROLEXrifleman" video. It gave me confidence to tear into it myself. Found out the water pump seal is leaking when draining water. Ordered a new pump today $30.00. Saved a service call and labor. Big thanks to everyone's great advice. :rockwoot::rockwoot::rockwoot:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    thatjimboguy
    Top Bottom