Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    And there's why ammo is expensive. Warehouses sitting on the stuff to keep prices high. I bet they paid pennies on the dollar for all that. Only specific people will get to purchase any of it too!

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I plan on jumping on this when it becomes available. I only got a box of the armor piercing and I think 2 boxes of the Greek stuff, so I certainly could use more.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    And there's why ammo is expensive. Warehouses sitting on the stuff to keep prices high. I bet they paid pennies on the dollar for all that. Only specific people will get to purchase any of it too!
    I don't believe that is that case, as to why ammo is expensive.

I'm almost certain this was/is (military) surplus Ammo. I have asked a few key people I know. No answer yet.

Only specific people get to purchase?? If your saying those of us that have been or are CMP competitors ? No that's not the case, anyone can purchase ammo/targets/gun parts without having met the CMP requirements. But if you want to buy a surplus rifle, you have to meet 2 requirements, belong to a CMP affiliate club/program & shoot in 1 CMP sanctioned match.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI

I'm almost certain this was/is (military) surplus Ammo. I have asked a few key people I know. No answer yet.

Only specific people get to purchase?? If your saying those of us that have been or are CMP competitors ? No that's not the case, anyone can purchase ammo/targets/gun parts without having met the CMP requirements. But if you want to buy a surplus rifle, you have to meet 2 requirements, belong to a CMP affiliate club/program & shoot in 1 CMP sanctioned match.
    Thought i read it saying club shoots and members were able to buy and they wanted people to sign up to be members. I didn't see any mention of the public or just anyone could buy.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI

2nd reply. And yes i did read it correctly. Only specific people or groups get access.
    “The CMP plans to make the ammunition available to our loyal constituents sometime this spring, after the surplus ammo goes through all CMP in-processing procedures,” said Mark Johnson, CMP’s Chief Operating Officer and Director of Civilian Marksmanship. “Purchase limits and restrictions will be set to ensure that the mission of CMP is well served.”

The CMP intends on maintaining a surplus ammo inventory large enough to support CMP Matches for the next several years and to provide discounted surplus ammo to competitors attending CMP events.

BigMoose

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Apr 14, 2012
    Indianapolis
    Okay. I will post this here.

This is a 1994 Army ammunition technical manual. It describes every cartridge in the Army system at that point. (Even the old WW2 stuff)

Under 22 we have...

CALIBER .22 CARTRIDGES
    Cartridge, Caliber .22, Ball, Long Rifle .......................................................................................... 3-3
    Cartridge, Caliber .22, Ball, Long Rifle, M24.................................................................................. 3-5
    Cartridge, Caliber .22, Ball, Hornet, M65 ....................................................................................... 3-7
    Cartridge, Caliber .22, Tracer, Long Rifle, M861 .......................................................................... 3

Also listed.

Cartridge, Caliber .30, Ball, M2

And finally for 30 Carbine
    CALIBER .30 CARBINE CARTRIDGES
    Cartridge, Caliber .30, Carbine, Ball, M1 ....................................................................................... 4-3
    Cartridge, Caliber .30, Carbine, Grenade, M6................................................................................ 4-5
    Cartridge, Dummy, Caliber .30, Carbine, M13 .............................................................................. 4-7
    Cartridge, Caliber .30, Carbine, Ball, High Pressure Test, M18...................................................... 4-9
    Cartridge, Caliber .30, Carbine, Tracer; M27 ................................................................................. 4-11

M2 Ball was the only thing specified by name... so I have to wonder what curiousities the other stuff might be.

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    2nd reply. And yes i did read it correctly. Only specific people or groups get access.
    “The CMP plans to make the ammunition available to our loyal constituents sometime this spring, after the surplus ammo goes through all CMP in-processing procedures,” said Mark Johnson, CMP’s Chief Operating Officer and Director of Civilian Marksmanship. “Purchase limits and restrictions will be set to ensure that the mission of CMP is well served.”

The CMP intends on maintaining a surplus ammo inventory large enough to support CMP Matches for the next several years and to provide discounted surplus ammo to competitors attending CMP events.
    Specific people/ groups , I believe this this is there double talk to help keep anti gunner at bay. Or a politically correct way of saving we don't sell 9 year Olds only adults.
    And if the CMP says competitors attending CMP events.....come join the "party" , the matches are fun, the people you competitive with will bring out the best on you (and be friends for ever), & you get to brag to your buddies about it!

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Specific people/ groups , I believe this this is there double talk to help keep anti gunner at bay. Or a politically correct way of saving we don't sell 9 year Olds only adults.
    And if the CMP says competitors attending CMP events.....come join the "party" , the matches are fun, the people you competitive with will bring out the best on you (and be friends for ever), & you get to brag to your buddies about it!
    Dont have the funds to do any that stuff and my aim these days certainly wouldn't make the cut to be competitive

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy

marvin02

Don't Panic
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Jun 20, 2019
    Calumet Twp.
    Only specific people will get to purchase any of it too!
    Here are the CMP purchase requirements. I have no idea if they will restrict this ammo any further than normal.

The Indiana State Rifle & Pistol Association is a CMP affiliate.

@Kirk Freeman is a director of ISRPA

Check with your local range if you belong to one to see if they are an affiliate.

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Do you have $25 per year to join the Garand Collector's Association? That and your LTCH would pretty much qualify you to buy from the CMP.

At different times i would have that lil bit but no ltch which i dont plan to get now that the law changed. I was lucky a lil over a month ago to get a used walther pps cause i sold a couple snowblowers so I could buy.
    Here are the CMP purchase requirements. I have no idea if they will restrict this ammo any further than normal.

The Indiana State Rifle & Pistol Association is a CMP affiliate.

@Kirk Freeman is a director of ISRPA

Check with your local range if you belong to one to see if they are an affiliate.
    Dont necessarily belong to a range an don't belong to any clubs either. Wouldn't have the money to travel to the places. I have back problems so I'm a bit limited. I volunteered at the ingo fun shoot at winamac about 5 years ago or something in that time frame. Was pretty sore the next few days afterwards.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    At different times i would have that lil bit but no ltch which i dont plan to get now that the law changed. I was lucky a lil over a month ago to get a used walther pps cause i sold a couple snowblowers so I could buy.

Dont necessarily belong to a range an don't belong to any clubs either. Wouldn't have the money to travel to the places. I have back problems so I'm a bit limited. I volunteered at the ingo fun shoot at winamac about 5 years ago or something in that time frame. Was pretty sore the next few days afterwards.
    Well, if you don't have $25 for the GCA, then buying ammo is a moot point, is it not?

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    Well, if you don't have $25 for the GCA, then buying ammo is a moot point, is it not?
    Guess so being you have to do several things to get some. Trying to save money to get 9mm at the moment. Things like this kinda **** me off. A company comes in and buys what our tax dollars already paid for. They charge a membership to make extra money or only sell to special groups which should be to the general public without jumping thru hoops like any other businesses does.
    I read thru all the stuff just to join...ridiculous

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Guess so being you have to do several things to get some. Trying to save money to get 9mm at the moment. Things like this kinda **** me off. A company comes in and buys what our tax dollars already paid for. They charge a membership to make extra money or only sell to special groups which should be to the general public without jumping thru hoops like any other businesses does.
    I read thru all the stuff just to join...ridiculous
    Well I'm sorry you feel that way. I've had nothing but good experiences with the CMP from ammo to rifles. You may be better off just looking for 9mm from other online sites.

Top Bottom