• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    I've read through the CMP rules on how to be awarded CMP Distinguished badges but I'm still confused and I'm hoping someone can sort me out. Let me put it how I understand it and someone please correct me if I'm wrong.

1) So you need 30 points to be eligable for a badge.

2) As a non-distinguished civilian I'm only eligable to shoot in 3 EIC competitions per year for points and one national match (ie Camp Perry) per year for points.

3) Please explain what "Legs" are. I understand the point system for gold/silver/bronze but I don't understand what a Leg is.

Thanks in advance!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    That is a match that is specified as one where you may earn points that will accumulate to help reach your 30 point goal. It is kind of a slang term.

Say you are at 22 EIC award (leg) points, needing 8 to (leg out). If you take a 6 point (leg) you are still short of legging out by 2, and have to finish in the points in another EIC award (leg) match. If you win that match and earn the 10 point award, you now have 32 points, more than enough so you just "legged out".

That is the kind of conversation you will hear around the shooters that are in the (leg) points race, as they are all trying to get to that magic number of 30 award points so they become DISTINGUSHED.

Don't let the slang be confusing, it is just a substitute word for pretty much anything having to with earning that award.

It is a lot of work, and you have to be at the top of your game to even get a 6 point leg. Add schedule conflicts, travel, match participation numbers, weather and other factors, and the goal gets tough. You can be top dog at you local club, go to State matches and find out you are only fair. Go to a regional or a bigger match and find out there are other great shooting guys just as hungry for points as you are. By the time you hit Camp Perry, you find out that you are on the line with 10 of the best shooters from every State, and all of them wants to win as bad as you do.

Most never make the 30 points. If you are able to earn even 6 points, you are a fine shooter, because you just beat 97% of the best of the best in the whole country to get that award.

There are a few walking around who legged out with service pistol AND service rifle. Those guys truely have a pair.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Very well said Leo. I have had 18 points forever. 8 from a leg match in Michigan and 10 from a leg match at Perry. I was on top that year then I lost my front sight and I have been struggling ever since.

Don't even start on the frustrations of the Presidents 100....

BTW, doesn't "leg" have something to do with 4 legs of a stool?

redwingshooter

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Mar 24, 2011
    Greenwood
    Thanks for the help guys, that makes a lot more sense now! I understand it will be very hard to get a distinguished badge and I make no claims to my shooting ability as I'm just getting into competitive shooting. Thanks again to both of you. Repp'ed

PMY

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 21, 2008
    Mishawaka
    Yes, the term "leg" comes from the three legs on a stool. That is, if you get three ten-point legs you earn the award. (And I guess finish building your stool or something.) The analogy kind of breaks down when you consider that you can also earn 4, 6 and 8 point legs, and therefore a lot of people need to get points in more than three matches to go Distinguished. But that's where the term comes from.

bigdaddy1427

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Also, You get the legs based on where you finish in the match. It goes on a percentage. If you are at a match and it has 30 shooters, They give away 3 legs. The top shooter gets 10, the second gets 8, and the third gets six. And you can't "leg out" by getting all 6 point legs. You have to have an 8 or 10 in there somewhere.
    Also, at the National Matches at Camp Perry, all legs are worth 10.
    Here is what they look like
    I got mine in 1998, and was the 1339th civilian since 1891 (I think) to earn one. I do not know what the count is now.
    Just go out and start shooting, a lot of fun.
    001_zpsd4ff10d5.jpg

002_zps49d10c70.jpg

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    It really is, isn't it? I want one. I have been fondling my service rifle all evening. Maybe a .062 front sight and a smaller rear aperature?

Mark are you going to shoot any HP this year? I miss our road trips....

bigdaddy1427

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I don't think so. I really do not find much fun in the frustrations of high power anymore.
    Cowboy action is so much more fun and laid back, and the range and pit hassles do not exist.
    Not NRA matches anyway. I will come back and shoot in 2016 and work my way back up to the expert class. I may still shoot the M1A match. The Garand match for FWRR was rescheduled so that it conflicts with the state championship cowboy shoot, along with the state championship high power matches.

Last edited:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Also, You get the legs based on where you finish in the match. It goes on a percentage. If you are at a match and it has 30 shooters, They give away 3 legs. The top shooter gets 10, the second gets 8, and the third gets six. And you can't "leg out" by getting all 6 point legs. You have to have an 8 or 10 in there somewhere.
    Also, at the National Matches at Camp Perry, all legs are worth 10.
    Here is what they look like
    I got mine in 1998, and was the 1339th civilian since 1891 (I think) to earn one. I do not know what the count is now.
    Just go out and start shooting, a lot of fun.
    001_zpsd4ff10d5.jpg

002_zps49d10c70.jpg

REPPED

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Oh yeah, rep the famous bigdaddy1427 for his fancy medal. :):I'll have you know that I have beat him in many matches over the years.

For example, he has never shot a perfect score in the 300 yard reduced prone slow fire. I have done it at Wildcat Valley and he tried to mess with me because he was in the pits on my target. He doesn't even feel guilty about it.... he still thinks its funny.

It is a pretty medal though. And I really do want one.... Hopefully he will be with me on the range when I get it done. He is a good friend and shooting companion. We have spent lots of nights sleeping on the floor of shooting range clubhouses to shoot in a match the next day.

I have to try the microsight, Mog.

Last edited:

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I second the Microsight insert. It is not perfect, but it is way better than anything else I have tried. I was to the point that I had a set with 4 different lens prescriptions for each of 4 rear aperature sizes. Prep time was spent second guessing lens/aperature sizes. Over the years, I bought enough little lenses, sight hoods, knoblocks, rangers, prescription glasses in several shades of tint, blinders and aperatures to have financed a fresh custom rifle build from Compass Lake. The $140 for the Microsight part seems cheap.

Last edited:

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I ordered one from Creedmore. It looks like a miniature scope. Does it have two lenses? I've done the same thing Leo. I just gave up.

Anyway, if its legal for NRA and CMP its good for me..It will be nice to see my front sight again.

Top Bottom