• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    I hope you do too. If CMP keeps the 1 per customer limit on the IHC Garands, I'd say you've got a good chance. Time will tell, but for many of us, the CMP is really the best chance we have at a Garand with an IHC receiver, unless we feel like paying the Gunbroker premium.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    Congrads, totenkoph. You got a pretty nice one. I did okay. Not quite as many IHC parts as you. The receiver, barrel, op rod and front sight are IHC/LMR. Most of the rest of the parts are WWII era SA with the exception of a milled WRA trigger guard. I got the new CMP "pumpkin wood" stock which I'll swap with and extra arsenal replacement stock I've got in storage. So, I'm still delighted to finally add an International Harvester to my collection.

I'll post pics later. It is bed time for this fella!

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    My IHC arrived on Monday. I didn't get as many IHC "innerds" as some folks and she came clad in "pumpkin wood"; but, I am still delighted to finally add a "US Rifle Caliber .30 M1" made in Evansville, Indiana in 1954 to my rifle collection.

I'm not sure whether it was accidental or intentional; but, underneath the padding in the CMP hard case along with the usual booklet, chamber safety flag, enbloc clip and CMP Certificate of authenticity, I found a copy of the GCA's DVD "America's Rifle - The M1 Garand". I am a member of the CGA and already have a copy; but, still I thought it was a nice touch. It is a great video!

So any way here she is "back home again"...
    CMP-IHC-M120140623-01CaseAndGoodies_zpsb11ee24d.jpg

The LMR is dated 3-54, proofed and punched in the usual places. The chamber is "in the white".

CMP-IHC-M120140623-02LMR-BBL-4-54_zps06d952e2.jpg

I've been reading up on LMR barrels.

From an article "Holding the Line: The Story of the Line Material Corporation" by Bob Seijas, found in the GCA Journal:

"Although not immediately apparent, the quality of these barrels was significantly better than those made by other manufacturers. Several years later, however, LMR marked barrels would be in great demand by competitive shooters, who claimed they were more accurate and had less "whip" than even the SA National Match barrels. As late as the 1960s, rifle teams were contacting Line as well as the Ordnance Department hoping to scrounge LMR barrels in some forgotten corner of the system ". Bob further wrote, " the fact that the initial contract price of about $ 8.50 per barrel provided enough room to develop and employ techniques for superior accuracy. This included several added steps to insure perfect alignment of the barrel to the receiver, and more precise rifling procedures."

Apparently, LMR which stands for Line Materials Rifle(AKA: Line Materials Corporation of Birmingham, Alabama), began making barrels for the post war M1 rebuild program. Then, when International Harvester started making rifles, LMR was chosen as the designated barrel maker for IHC and the doubled their production capacity.

As you can see by the Armor's Tag, the barrel measures 2+ at the muzzle and 3+ at the throat...Lots of good shooting left in this one.
    CMP-IHC-M120140623-03BB-Tag_zps5e109cf1.jpg

The serial number in the low 5.1 million range indicated the rifle was made in 1954.
    CMP-IHC-M120140623-05IHCReceiver1954_zps52eacab2.jpg

Nice uniform stamping on the heel of the receiver.
    CMP-IHC-M120140623-06IHCPostageStamp_zps4ce88045.jpg

SA bolt...
    CMP-IHC-M120140623-07SABolt_zps77345f6e.jpg

IHC Op Rod...
    CMP-IHC-M120140623-04OpRod_zps905f3e06.jpg

Here is the barrel and gas system, I'm not detail savvy to know what manufacturer these parts are...
    CMP-IHC-M120140623-08BarrelHiHumpGasScrew_zps6682c189.jpg

It is my understanding that the "w" heat lot number clearly indicates that this receiver was made by IHC and not one of the many made by SA and HRA for IHC...
    CMP-IHC-M120140623-09RecRightSide_zps9cb1ce46.jpg

A milled Winchester trigger guard...
    CMP-IHC-M120140623-10WRATrigGuardMilled_zpsfc1e1969.jpg

WWII(...I think) SA Trigger group with mostly SA bits and pieces(...with the exception of the WRA trigger guard)...
    CMP-IHC-M120140623-11SATrigGroup_zpsb8aafcee.jpg

The old SA trigger group seems well used; but, in spec...
    CMP-IHC-M120140623-12SATrigGroup_zps370d834e.jpg

Again, I am not a fan of the "pumpkin wood"...I think she deserves better. I may swap it out for an extra post war Defense Eagle stamped stock that came on my WIN-13.
    CMP-IHC-M120140623-14LeftSide_zpsdd8960e0.jpg

Last picture...
    CMP-IHC-M120140623-15LeftSide_zps360bcfd6.jpg

Last edited:

totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    No doubt about it, that is one orange looking stock. But I bet she shoots nicely anyway. Congrats again Joker on making the cut. Also couldn't agree more about the GCA. Love getting my new GCA Journal.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I ran 24 rounds of Greek HXP through it last night with nary an issue. She's going to be a real tack driver.

Lucking into the opportunity to get this rare IHC M1 has made me one fortunate son...
    [video=youtube;70OMeZLPWrM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70OMeZLPWrM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

GunSlinger

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jun 20, 2011
    Right here.
    I ran 24 rounds of Greek HXP through it last night with nary an issue. She's going to be a real tack driver.

Lucking into the opportunity to get this rare IHC M1 has made me one fortunate son...
    [video=youtube;70OMeZLPWrM]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=70OMeZLPWrM&feature=youtu.be[/video]

:drool:

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    That was a bit different. The rifles in south Korea apparently belong to South Korea. So, to come back, they'd have to be sold to an importer and "imported". CMP rifles are returns from the MAP program which 'loaned' the rifles to Turkey, Greece, etc. From what i understand, many of the IHC rifles went to former allies in the middle east and were never seen again.

According to the GCA, these IHCs were among MAP returns from the Turkish Navy a couple of years ago. According to the CGA, of 8850 M1s returned, they found over 3000 IHC rifles. That said, I'm sure at some point "ole I don't need the will of the people, I have a magic pen" will put the kabosh on MAP returns as well.

There will be another shot at IHC rifles later this year. They say they've still got 2000 awaiting inspection.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I swapped out the "pumpkinwood" stock for something a little more correct. I got a WIN-13 M1 at the CMP South Store. It was wearing a nice period correct stock. It is most likely a HRA stock from about the same period of production. Although the stock is well used, it has a really pretty tiger striping. I also added a reproduction Korean war era canvas sling.
    CMP-IHC-M120140623-20DASEagleStock_zps8b775834.jpg

The 3/8" Department of Defense Acceptance Stamp on the left side of the stock.
    CMP-IHC-M120140623-21DASCartouche_zps550526ed.jpg

And the non-serif, circle P proof mark on the wrist.
    CMP-IHC-M120140623-22Proof_zps2cd99aa0.jpg

I couldn't bring myself to put the poor "Winny" into the "pumpkin wood. I have a finished Boyd's stock on the way from Dupage.

I'll take a family picture as soon as they are all properly accessorized.

totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    From what i understand, many of the IHC rifles went to former allies in the middle east and were never seen again.

According to the GCA, these IHCs were among MAP returns from the Turkish Navy a couple of years ago. According to the CGA, of 8850 M1s returned, they found over 3000 IHC rifles. .

Joker,

I'm thinking about writing the people up at TACOM in Detroit and requesting a search on my rifle's serial number. Odds are that my request will likely show it as a Turkish return, but that Summer 2013 GCA Journal article about the discovery of Navy and Marine Corps IHCs amongst the IHCs in stock at CMP has made me curious. I did it for one of my 1903s and found out that it had spent the decade before its return to the Army and CMP in service with a VFW post in New Jersey. It'd just be more icing to the cake if my IHC came back as a Navy or Marine Corps return.

TheJoker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 9, 2010
    Shelby County
    I wasn't aware that there was any way to determine a rifle's history. I'd me most interested to hear what you find out. I too was under the assumption that these IHCs were Turkish MAP returns.

I've gotten several interesting rifles from the CMP over the last several years. I'd love some insight into their history. A couple of years ago, I got a Model of 1917 from the CMP. It was made in 1918 at the Balwin Locomotive Works at Eddystone. It was apparently, barreled with a High Standard barrel during WWII. It has a rebuild cartouche some have traced to a GM plant in Kokomo. And it has Am Legion stenciled on the butt stock. Just think ... two World Wars and then Honor Guard duty.

Keep us updated on what you find.

totenkopf

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 5, 2012
    Will do. Here's a picture of both letters I received two years ago. I assume the addresses are still correct for those who might also like to try their luck. The first one was from Redstone Arsenal, the second from TACOM in Detroit. Redstone doesn't hold any records prior to 1975, anything that old or older, from my understanding, is housed in Detroit, hence why I wrote two letters. Didn't find out a whole lot more via TACOM, except that my 1903a3 came from a New Jersey VFW.

001.jpg 002.jpg

Also, this used to be up on the Rock Island Arsenal website (I've cut and pasted it from a quote on the CMP boards because the original link is now broken) :

Q: I have acquired a serial number ###### firearm. Can you tell me specific information for this serial number?

A. No, we do not have the records for specific information on serial numbered firearms or edged weapons. We may be able to tell you general information regarding a manufacturer date, depending on the piece in question. For more specific information on firearms only you will want to see the following information below:

1. The U.S. Army Materiel Command (USAMC) Logistics Support Activity at Redstone Arsenal, Alabama, can trace the history of ownership of military weapons at the organizational level. Records do not include the individual who was issued the weapon.

2. In order to obtain a copy of this information, you must submit a request in writing under the aegis of the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA).

3. You should include in your correspondence the following:

a. “Under the Freedom of Information Act, I hereby request that the records of Integrated Support Center, USAMC Logistics Support Activity be searched for the history of ownership of the following weapon.”

b. Include the model of the weapon and its serial number.

c. “I agree to pay for reproduction costs and research and review time.” You can include a monetary limit on what you are willing to pay for these services.

4. Your letter should be addressed to:

Commander
    USAMC Logistics Support Activity
    Integrated Support Center
    ATTN: AMXLS-IS (FOIA Officer)
    Redstone Arsenal, AL 35898-7466

Last edited:

Sgt7330

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 25, 2011
    Rush Co.
    My CMP/IHC 4.58 mil Postage stamp Garand. It came with IHC op rod, rear sights and trigger housing. My IHC bolt came today.
    IHCedit3_zpsb2000c12.jpg
    [/URL]
    IHCedit2_zps6f635a60.jpg
    [/URL]
    IHC45milheel_zps58f40a60.jpg
    [/URL]

Top Bottom