• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 11B20

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2011
    Roughly how long does it take to get from Indianapolis to the CMP north store? I'm planning a trip up there.

4sarge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    FREEDONIA
    The Civilian Marksmanship Program has opened a store in Port Clinton, Ohio at Camp Perry, Bldg 2500. The CMP North Store phone number is (419) 635-2141 ext. 1115.

Looks like 4+ hours

tman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2008
    Indy Area
    I want to say 4.5 hours no matter which way you go.

we usually go I-70 to I-75 then take OH 105 East (Bowling Green exit) through the country to get to Port Clinton. On the way back we take I-75 to US 30 to Van Wert and Decatur, IN then to i-69 to mix it up. It is a pretty boring drive.

You can also go north to Ft Wayne and take the bypass East to US 24 to Defiance, OH then head to Port Clinton.

On one of the better trips we had no map and no one had GPS so there was a lot of head East until we hit I-75, that was fun.

Last edited:

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    what can you buy at their store?

One of these, or ammo, bayonets, stocks......this one came from the store, but the stock was almost black when I got it......
    picture.php

BogWalker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 5, 2013
    I know you have to have some CMP affiliated club membership to buy on line. Do you need one for walk ins? I think NRA counts, might have to get there great year membership deal.

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    My son and I just visited there last week and bought an M1. It's was right at 4 hours from the north side of Indy. Their website gives the requirements to buy, store hours, etc.

dobeluvr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    NRA doe NOT count. American legion and VFW does as well as a host of others. As per above their website gives this info. At one time, (and I do not know if it still applies), they would allow you to join an organization while at the store).

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    You can join the Garand collectors ass. for $25 a year, you get a nice magazine with the membership. Your LTCH covers the shooting part of the requirements also.
    Between My brother and myself we've bought about 20 using these as requirements both mail order and in store.

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I know you have to have some CMP affiliated club membership to buy on line. Do you need one for walk ins? I think NRA counts, might have to get there great year membership deal.
    No the NRA does not count. I am a life member of the NRA but had to send in a copy of my membership to the Linden Conservation club to Qualify. A list is available from the CMP website listed below. You also have to have proof of US citizenship. This can be a copy of your birth certificate or (current) Passport. You must fill out a purchase certificate and have it notarized. Dependent on age and/or military/ police service, you may have to have proof of Marksmanship (participation in a NRA sponsored competition). I became registered last year and bought Ammo. My son and I are going to drive to Port Clinton when he gets his tax return. The requirements are listed on the site here: Eligibility Requirements

Punkinhead

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 8, 2012
    I met both the club and marksmanship requirements by attending an Appleseed and joining the RWVA.

The price of the rifles vary by condition and rarity/collector appeal. We bought a mid-50's era HRA made M1 with a good muzzle and chamber (they'll help you gage them) and a stock that had apparently been used to drive tent stakes for $525. We could have paid more for a WWII era Springfield in poorer condition but we were looking for a good shooter. I'll probably replace the stock one of these days, but my son kind of likes the "patina". Pick up some ammo while you're there. Ammo cans of 200 for $98 is hard to beat for plinking and with all the panic buying it's nice to actually be able to buy ammo.

Top Bottom