• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I'll wait and see how the price/value shakes out. My really old 1911 (1914) is fired every now and then.

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    i fire this on special occasions only with 750fps handloads......1918 Remington UMC .....

14keh03.jpg

IndyGlockMan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Fishers
    I will be a couple years before they come up for sale, but it's a good thing and it's to have them in our hands vs. sitting in a tax payer funded warehouse.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I am curius on how the CMP will handle sales. It should be luck of the draw, just like all the years when DCM ran things. Luck of the draw for everything.
    I believe some will be luck of the draw, but the desirable and hard to get will go on the auction block. And like now with the CMP only those with thick checkbooks will own the desirable and rare at the auction.
    You young guys will never know how good we had it before Clinton privatised it. Bullets by the case and drum, brass and so on. Cheap...

Last edited:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    This is really good news. Sure, the pistols may be tired and may not be a great deal when finally sold, but it's a victory in that these historic pistols will be turned over to American citizens for safe keeping instead of being melted in the fires of a gun control agenda. I will most likely end up taking one home to give it a good life in retirement.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    M1911's where the soft ones with no heat treat.......A1's would be fine........but i wouldn't be after a shooter anyway.....just history.....

It will be interesting to see what surfaces, but I will say I never did see any 1911's when I served, only 1911A1's. 70's-80's
    And I have read more than once that there were no more 1911's in our stockpile.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    How much were they? Do you think CMP prices will be close?

They were sold about 55 years ago. Back then Garands were 65 +- bucks.
    My wife and I bought Garands in 81 or 82 and they were 121.00 each
    It will be interesting to see what they do sell for. They go for very good money right now. If they sell them cheap it will hurt collectors, but they could auction every single one and the market could go up even higher than it is.
    If you own a minty gi 1911 in the kraft box it tends to sell for 2 to 4 grand, and easily higher depending on maker and condition.
    Time will tell.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Have they ever done pistols before?

Certainly.

How much were they? Do you think CMP prices will be close?

My memory is $165 (at the end). They shipped from Pennsylvania. Chambersburg or the like? There was an arms depot there. Memory is fuzzy. Perhaps 17 remembers more accurately.

*EDIT* Called my dad. He remembers paying $85 for his first DCM 1911. He was still in (reserves) and had just got married, so 1964ish.

17 squirrel

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 15, 2013
    I did the same thing with my Dad, he didnt remember what they cost, My dad has his dad's and I have two from great uncles that left them to me. But neither my dad or I have any paperwork that states what they cost. My GFather was a conductor on Trolly Cars and then drove buses in DC until he retired in 73.
    As a kid he would drag me downtown to shoot bulleye and rimfire at the old NRA building. I remember there was always stuff for sale there in the sixtys. I grew up in Bethesda, MD just outside of DC. I'll root around some more.
    Even if they sold for under a hundred bucks that was still a chunk of cash back then.

Top Bottom