CO police cuff, search dozens of innocent people at gunpoint in frenzied manhunt

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    AURORA, CO — Seeking a bank robbery suspect with no description of the culprit, police barricaded an intersection, ordered dozens of people out of their cars at gunpoint, handcuffed every adult, and performed a warrantless search of all vehicles in the perimeter.

The incident occurred on June 2nd, 2012. New details are being revealed nearly 2 years later in joint federal lawsuit being filed on behalf of 14 people.

“We didn’t have a description, didn’t know race or gender or anything, so a split-second decision was made to stop all the cars at that intersection, and search for the armed robber,” Aurora police officer Frank Fania said.

“Nonetheless, the officers demanded that all vehicle occupants hold their arms up and outside of their vehicle windows,” the lawsuit states, adding that motorists were not even permitted to “shut off their vehicle’s ignition, put their vehicle in park, or lift their parking brakes.”

Those caught up in the dragnet were “detained, removed, searched, restrained — and terrified,” according to the lawsuit.

“They got behind shields. They had M-4′s, shotguns out; taser guns, everything,” said witness Ben Barker to ABC-7 News.

“They brandished shields and pointed assault rifles directly at innocent citizens, including children under ten years old. Officers with police dogs were at the ready. No one was free to leave,” the lawsuit says.

“Officers, weapons still drawn, proceeded to each vehicle,” the lawsuit states. Cops paid particular attention to those who appeared “overly nervous or anxious.”

The meticulous vehicle-to-vehicle search lasted 2 hours, “despite having no probable cause or reasonable suspicion that any particular individual had committed any offense.” All the while, people were left shackled and corralled helplessly on the sidewalk.

Tim Olson, a Denver mechanic, was one of those drivers trapped in the police dragnet. He told FOX-31, “Suddenly there was a police officer straight ahead, takes a shotgun or rifle and aims my direction. You know never having been in that situation before it was extremely confusing, extremely intimidating.”

During the long detainment, Mr. Olson had difficulty kneeling on the hard sidewalk, and fell “face forward onto the pavement,” according to the lawsuit, as an officer “continued to scream at Mr. Olson to [kneel] while waving his shotgun near Mr. Olson’s face.”

“I was telling the officer ‘you’re hurting me. Let go,”" Olson remembered. “They said ‘quit resisting.’”

Colorado police cuff, search dozens of innocent people at gunpoint in frenzied manhunt | Police State USA

Darral27

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Aug 13, 2011
    Elwood
    How is this not kidnapping? These people were not even suspected of a crime. They were "paying particular attention to those that seemed overly nervous or anxious", seriously? I wonder what overly nervous or anxious is when you have guns pointing at you and your children. Whoever made the call to do this needs to be in jail, the officers that followed this order need to loose their jobs.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Servin and protectin, Rocky Mountain style.:rockwoot:

Destro will be along shortly to explain how this was not big deal. I mean, they did catch the BG, all the LEOs went home safe and the citizens rights were only violated for a couple hours.:stickpoke:

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Not supposed to be doing stuff like that in this country. How will this message be reinforced? Needs to be serious consequences to the offenders, serious damages to the victims.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I understand that the robbers were armed and thus officer safety an issue, but that pic of the guy, hands up, guns drawn down on him... That just screams some hepped up, over the top department full of Rambos BEGGING and CRYING for their first CONUS kill...

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    I just e-mailed the law firm and offered to be an expert witness against these thugs.

Good to hear!

I think there needs to be a strong distinction between "cop" and "carnivore". Sometimes, yes, you need SWAT, you need the carnivore to send into harm's way to defeat the enemy, take down the perpetrator. Most of the time, however, we need the cop: We need the person that will uphold the laws (law enforcement, revenue generation for the libertarian crowd), protect the innocent and serve the public trust.

Problem is, we have FAR too many cops that are in carnivore mode. Look at the guy holding the shotgun in that picture. Pure carnivore and for what? A guy that wasn't the robber. Pure carnivore to gain compliance of the citizen being bore down upon.

Last edited:

Kurr

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 18, 2011
    Jefferson County
    The fellow with the shield looks to be exercising good trigger discipline, guy with the shotgun looks to have his finger ON the trigger.

Bad enough when a firearm is pointed at me. Even worse when finger is on trigger. I don't wanna die due to a ND/AD. I doubt the skinny kid would have lived either.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    This disgusts me. Incidents like this pop up about every month now. Mass detainment, shooting up gals in pickup trucks, shooting dogs, wrong house no knock raids & shooting homeowners, forced rectal drug searches, beating officer chompy when he doesn't react fast enough, etc... WTF is wrong with these agencies? Can state politicians not control what's going on in their own states? Can the 99.5% of the good cops not influence the 0.5% rotton apples? It's stuff like this that makes the public angry about MRAPs and Tacti-cool "toys".

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    “Exigent circumstances” remains a dangerous loophole in which police may callously ignore citizens’ rights.
    Amendment IV
    The right of the people to be secure in their persons, houses, papers, and effects, against unreasonable searches and seizures, shall not be violated, and no Warrants shall issue, but upon probable cause, supported by Oath or affirmation, and particularly describing the place to be searched, and the persons or things to be seized.

What is and is not unreasonable is certainly debatable, even among reasonable, constitutionally minded men and women. Like other erosions of what we once considered to be "normal", "traditional", "reasonable", events of this sort seem repulsive to us now. But give it time...sooner or later, this sort of action will probably be considered acceptable by future generations.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    Didn't they do the same thing last year under the same circumstances? This thread feels extremely deja vu-ish.

Not the one I was thinking of but still:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...e-roadblock-warrantless-car-car-searches.html

Another similar incident: I said SIMILAR:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...ce-shoot-innocent-people-looking-suspect.html

Ah! Here it is:

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...217708-mass-detention-search-bank-robber.html

Wait a minute. . . . we already discussed/dissected this!!!!!!!!!!!!:rolleyes:

Must be a slow cop bash day:rockwoot:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom