• Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Traditional old fashioned is my go to.
    Or jazz it up with luxardo cherries and black walnut bitters.

Or the always fantastic bourbon over ice.

Give me a three finger pour of buffalo trace over ice and a padron 64 cigar and I'm a very happy camper.
    My thing 2 tends to drink older drinks like Manhattans, What is the reason to buy a $20.00 jar of cherry's?
    I don't think I've seen them in any of the bars we have been to.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    My thing 2 tends to drink older drinks like Manhattans, What is the reason to buy a $20.00 jar of cherry's?
    I don't think I've seen them in any of the bars we have been to.
    Mostly bc $20 cherries taste better than normal(?)/cheap(?) cherries.

Much like expensive bourbon often taste better than cheap bourbon.

rosejm

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 28, 2013
    NWI
    Those luxardo cherries are also soaked in liqueur. Damn expensive though, and in some locations they're not very fresh (mushy). As an alternative, you can probably find good black cherries at the supermarket canned fruit aisle.

Maraschino cherries are only acceptable for ice cream sundaes and milkshakes.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Those luxardo cherries are also soaked in liqueur. Damn expensive though, and in some locations they're not very fresh (mushy). As an alternative, you can probably find good black cherries at the supermarket canned fruit aisle.

Maraschino cherries are only acceptable for ice cream sundaes and milkshakes.
    Thank you.
    I'll Amazon a jar for my kid.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    I'm embarrassed to admit this, but I was actually using two different vermouths, instead of a sweet vermouth and gin, when I was making negronis. I thought my stepson had a bottle of sweet vermouth and extra dry gin in the fridge, that I was using. Nope, I guess that's what I get for using them without putting on my reading glasses. Instead, I realized the other day that it was sweet and extra dry vermouth. So I've rectified that and tried both the aperol and standard negronis and I have to say, I really, really don't like gin. BLEAH!

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I had no idea that I was in the presence of such sophisticated gentlemen. All these fancy mixed drinks. I thought I was uptown when I switched from drinking Jack Daniels out of the bottle to Crown Royal straight up in a clean glass. Many moons ago.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I like a variety of mostly simple stuff with little personal preference variations…

my favorite that I try to not drink very often is what I call a White Jamaican. Basically a White Russian with Bacardi rum instead of vodka. I will sometimes use my wife’s vodka and if she has some vanilla vodka, I’ll substitute a little of that for straight vodka. The reason. I try not to have them too often is because the first tastes so good, I have a second and then forget making the third and the night usually gets sleepy after that.

My main summer time boat drink is rum and root beer. I do like ru and coke but prefer root beer more. After experimenting I found that I like Bacardi white and A&W root beer the best. I will sometimes substitute Sprechers cream soda from Menards.

I do like a good margarita too, but I’m too lazy to make them properly, so I’ll have one when my sister in law makes them at the tiki bar.

And I will make n old fashioned occasionally too. I like them sweet, so I do a 2 or 3 to one ratio of usually Bulliet bourbon to simple syrup. A few shakes of bitters and a cherry with some of the juice. I tried the orange bitters but can’t really taste much orange with it, so I have gotten a small bottle of orange extract and put a drop or two of that in.

Oh, one last one that is a great, light summer mixer. Sprite and Bird Dog Blackberry whiskey. The whiskey is super sweet and thick, about like cough syrup by itself but with the sprite it’s light and crisp. Funny thing is if you make it in a clear glass, the coloring in the whiskey thins out and it’s a pink bubbly drink!

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    A favorite for cooler nights is mulled wine. Great thing is that you can make it your own by using specific wines, liquors, juices, spices, etc.

I made some last night and here's my recipe:

Bottle of red wine (whatever you prefer)
    Orange liqueur (I used Grand Marnier)
    handful of whole cloves
    a few cinnamon sticks

Add everything to a pan and put on the stove on low heat. Heat at a simmer or lower for ~25 minutes to let it warm up and to let the spices mix with the drink. Some of the alcohol will burn off, so if you prefer it stronger, add the orange liqueur (or brandy, or whiskey, or whatever you prefer) into the mix about a minute before serving. If you like it sweeter, you can add citrus juice (orange works well with the spices) or sweeter liqueurs like peach schnapps. Alternatively you can use simple syrup, or even brown sugar as it'll dissolve as it warms up.

Here's a recipe I found on YT, as well as another for Wassail, which I want to try sometime:

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Sweet martini

1.5 ounces of sweet vermouth
    1.5 ounces of gin
    1 - 2 dashes of orange bitters
    Garnish with a orange peel after expressing the oils over the cocktail

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    cereal shooters are an interesting drink for parties or family get-togethers; 1:1 shot of RumChata and flavors
    - for Fruit Loops, Three Olives Loopy vodka
    - for Cinnamon Toast Crunch, Fireball
    - for Honey Nut Cheerios, Jack Honey

A favorite cocktail is the White Russian

My go-to brunch drink is a pint of Guinness but with a shot (or two) of espresso added

SheepDog4Life

Natural Gray Man
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 14, 2016
    SW IN
    Speaking of a White Russian (or Jamaican), a cocktail channel I watch on YT recommended a coffee liqueur called Mr. Black and I picked up a bottle the other day. Used it to make a White Russian and oh my! Very, very tasty.
    This sounds interesting... did you just sub the Mr. Black for the Kahlua in the traditional recipe (with Vodka and cream)?

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    My version of a dirty martini:

Muddle two jalapeno stuffed olives in your mixing glass
    Add 60ml gin
    add 15ml dry vermouth
    add 15ml juice from olive jar
    add ice
    stir for 30 - 45 seconds

Add jalapeno stuffed olive on a toothpick or skewer into the bottom of a chilled martini glass, the strain stirred mixture into the glass. Enjoy.

This is very savory and goes well with food.

"Perfect" martini

Add 30ml sweet vermouth
    add 30ml dry vermouth
    add 60ml gin
    add 2 dashes orange bitters
    Stir for 30 - 45 seconds

Strain into chilled martini glass. Express oil from orange peel over the glass and drop peel in. Enjoy.

This is a bit sweeter, without being as sweet as the sweet martini.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    Eggnog with a little Skrewball mixed in. A little festive drink while I make a batch of chili for lunches this week and some Italian beef for sandwiches tonight

Top Bottom