• Which do you prefer

• Total voters

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    I'm a Mr. Coffee guy all day long. I like a strong flavorful cup of joe. The Kuereg coffee tastes like instant coffee. :noway:
    Y'know what, there was always a taste to the Kuerig at work that I could never put my finger on. You just nailed it. I have my Mr. Coffee at home (wife loves the smell but hates the taste), fresh ground beans (usually), and full cream

Also I just can't justify the price difference in the coffee. My Mr. Coffee is fairly cheap to run, and easy to clean. The same cannot be said for the Kuerig

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Mmm... Bacon and coffee, two of my favorite things. I prefer the old school prep methods for both.

Gluemanz28

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Mar 4, 2013
    Elkhart County
    We have a Kuerig that we use everyday for one or two cups each. We are both is sales and traveling throughout the day and will pick up a Dunkin latte between 2-4 pm for $.99 or an iced coffee.

I had an issue with my first Kuerig about a year ago. I called them and they sent me a new unit out within two days. That is great customer service.

We use a Gevalia unit for larger gatherings and an insulated carafe that we will fill and keep running pots through the Gevalia to fill the Carafe. My wife has to have lots of flavored liquid creamer in her coffee. I tell her that she is drinking a milkshake, not a coffee.

jrogers

Why not pass the time with a game of solitaire?
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Central IN

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Keurig for me. I had a nice Mr. Coffee at one point a few years ago, but the consistency always varied a bit, where I get the same thing every time from Keurig. I like very strong coffee, so I usually drink Green Mountain Double Black Diamond, or a small size cup of Dark Magic or Big Easy Bold. I love the convenience of the Keurig over the Mr. Coffee style coffee makers. Because of acid reflux, I can only drink one or two cups a day, so the Keurig works out pretty well for me. I'm taking notes of a couple of the coffee varieties mentioned here so I can try some different things soon :)

Oh yeah, I have the old style Keurig with only two cup sizes, 7.25 oz and 9.25 oz (or something like that). I'll be really sad if it ever dies on me cause all the new ones are 6, 8, 10 and 12 oz for the sizes (or some mix of those).

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I use a Procter Silex for ordinary mornings. Makes enough for the wife and I to get through the day. When it cools too much in the insulated pot, we just nuke and enjoy. We pick up bags of Starbucks that have passed their "sell by" date for 50% of the original price. Makes a great cup of coffee and is a great way to start the day.

I keep a good supply of international coffees from my travels to Asia and the Caribbean for when we want the good stuff. Sumatran Kok Tong and Jamaican Blue Mountain top the list at present.

When we want a really, really good cup of coffee—like when the kids come home—I get out the Jamaican Blue Mountain beans, grind up the required amount, and brew a pot win the old percolator we inherited from my mother-in-law. I find the old percolators make a far better drink than any of the current drip makers we have tried. It is a lot more complicated to set it up and clean up than the drip coffee makers, so we reserve it for special occasions.

I have had Keurig brews in various retail shop waiting rooms. The quality is based on the type of water used, the state of cleanliness of the maker, and the brand of coffee offered for use in the Keurig. A family member also use a Keurig on a daily basis. I have tried it during visits there. Using their good filtered and softened water with a good quality of coffee, the Keurig makes an enjoyable cup of java. The only problem there is that the cup is too small and it takes too long to make the second cup, and the third. :rolleyes:

CindyE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    north/central IN
    We have the Cuisinart version of the Keurig K-cup coffee maker. It is good for busy mornings, or evenings when you want just a cup. I order K-cups in bulk from Keurig, so it ends up a bit cheaper.
    My favorite is the French Press, especially when hubby makes it and brings me a cup when I'm still in bed on the weekends. :)

MrSmitty

Master of useless information
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jan 4, 2010
    New Albany
    French Press FTW!

frenchpresscoffee.jpg
    French press coffee is the best!!!!

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I'm a Mr. Coffee guy all day long, but then again, when I drink coffee I guzzle it by the gallon. Seriously, I will drink a full pot over the course of a day no problem. And I like Folgers or Maxwell House. I rarely splurge on the good stuff.

I like the taste of the Kuereg, but I simply can't drink just one cup of coffee and I feel guilty burning through 5-6 k-cups in a day. It's wasteful and expensive.

If the Mr. Coffee style tastes watered down, just add an extra scoop of grounds before brewing.

On work days, I drink a full pot before I leave the house (and I leave the house by 5:15 a.m.), and then another cup or two after I get to work. On my days off, I'll have a pot and a half (at least) before breakfast. I'd go broke if I used a Keurig.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    Can't go without my Keurig. Every morning, on the way out the door, pop my travel mug in the Keurig and push the button. By the time I get my boots tied my coffee is ready to go. BAM!

Fresh, hot, delicious - every morning.

The K-Cups are kind of pricey, but worth it for the convenience. On weekends, I grind my own and use the adapter for a truly fresh cup.

tmschuller

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Feb 25, 2013
    Grant county
    I have some Dominican coffee that brewed right is awesome.. cant find it here in the states very often, I worked there on a mission trip , got to go thru the mill. That's why it probably tastes so good.. peculator is the only way to brew this to get the flavor... where we were at they boiled coffee and unprocessed sugar together and it was like a dessert.. google dominican pots.. real simple and different.
    I have some small packages is anyone wants to try it.. pm me and I will drop one in the mail.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    I have seen several mentions of "fresh" ground coffee. When I lived in the City of Chicago, I had a girl friend that would only buy about 1/2 lb of fresh beans per visit at a shop that specialized in coffee. Sometimes she would buy green coffee beans and roast them. She would literally grind them right before making coffee. Whatever the variety she purchased tasted really good. Some times she would prepare it in a cappacino machine, sometimes a drip style coffee maker. The process is important, but the quality and freshness of the coffee is paramount.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Depends on your volume of consumption.

Single Cup Drinker:
    • Keurig is quick and easy and makes a decent cup of coffee once you find a K-Cup you like (Dunkin Dark for me). Can be expensive but not too bad if you drink in moderation.
    • Starbucks/local coffee shop/gas station if you have the time and want to drive thru each morning. Can get expensive quickly if you do this daily and you have to find a place that taste good to you.
    • French Press takes time and is messy but makes a great cup of coffee, especially if you grind your own.
    • Aero Press is even better than the French Press and much tidier without grounds all over the place.
    • For me it is the Keurig on the weekdays and the Aero Press on the weekends.

Gallon Coffee Drinker:

• Go with the drip coffee maker otherwise you will go broke. If you find a local coffee roaster you can improve your pot of coffee by buying better beans that are freshly ground.
    • Also a good option if there are multiple coffee drinkers in the house.

French press coffee is the best!!!!

If the OP wants to test the French Press experience you can go to Starbucks and get a pot. They call it something else and it may not be prominent on the menu. Bonus is you get to pick your coffee beans. When travelling I will do this. Sit and sip one cup of coffee and get a To Go cup for the second cup in the pot.

Enjoyed the French Press until a friend got me an AeroPress. It's like French flavor with German engineering.

p1320_column_grid_12.jpg

Top Bottom