• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • padishar123

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 27, 2009
    Leo, IN
    Is anyone familiar with the legalities of "Cold Guns"? I.e. a gun that someone else bought through a FFL dealer, then sold cash to you.

I was wondering what the liability to me would be if i sold someone one of my guns just for cash. i know person to person sales in Indiana are legal (no registration required) but i was wondering what would happen if a crime was committed with the gun down the road. would the govt/ATF backtrack from the original owner through the people that had owned it to find out where it came from?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    This question comes up here a lot...

And it's exactly this scenario that some folks like to write out a "bill of sale" for said firearm and have each party sign a copy; and each party take a copy. Or at least you, as the seller, maintain the copy.

-J-

Taipan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2009
    Greenfield, IN
    One of the things that I see a ton of on the guns for sale section of this board is LTCH required for purchase. That covers your posterior in that you have a reasonable notion that the fellow is not a felon/loony.

The Meach

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 23, 2009
    Nobletucky
    Well if the intent was to buy the gun from the FFL for the expressed purpose of selling to somebody else, I think that counts as a straw purchase....?

Any Lawyers in the house?

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    I won't buy from a private party who requires a bill of sale. If I'm buying from a private party, I don't want paperwork. If I'm going to have paperwork, I'm going to have the advantages of a gunshop, too. A bill of sale is advantageous only to the seller. It does nothing for me.

Top Bottom