• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • w_ADAM_d88

Master
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Apr 10, 2009
    Greenfield
    If I keep a loaded pistol in a locked box under the seat of my car in extremely cold temps, will/does it have any effect/affect on the guns reliablity, accuracy, functionablity, or anything else that you could think of? Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with guns in extreme temps?

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If your firearm can handle the explosion inside the chamber and several thousand PSI every time it's fired...

It'll handle a little cold. I promise.

-J-

Big 30

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 19, 2009
    Michigan
    If your firearm can handle the explosion inside the chamber and several thousand PSI every time it's fired...

It'll handle a little cold. I promise.

-J-
    +1
    On the other hand it would not hurt to spray it down with a quality preventive like Birchwood-Casey Barricade, Weapons Shield or any other good sauce you like.
    Then wipe it down clean thoroughly and it will be ready to go again for another period of time.

Not to bust bubbles but PM is a major responsibility of firearm ownership in my opinion. :yesway:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Going from cold, to warm and humid, back to cold can cause problems. Moisture can freeze, causing stuff (like firing pins, hammers, springs-important stuff) to stick. It's happened to me with my EDC (just kidding) muzzleloading rifle.
    Also, you may want to switch to a lighter viscosity cold weather synthetic lube. It'll keep things from getting sluggish in sub-zero weather.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I will agree that the formation of condensation, and subsequent freezing of said condensation may very well cause a problem or two.

If it were a hammer-fired weapon, I'd not even worry about that.

I'd be a little more concerned about it somehow keep a striker from releasing, but have you ever bothered to move the firing pin as it sits in the slide? Takes quite a bit of force to move it rearward. Similarly, it would take a fair amount of ice to lock the FP in place after the trigger has been pulled.

I think a larger concern would be the cartridges in the magazine and/or the slide lock.

However, I'm confidant that, barring the pistol being frozen solid in a block of ice, that the shock of shot #1 would knock the other stuff loose anyhow.

In short, don't worry about the cold/freezing/ice.

Worry, instead, about the moisture causing rust and/or corrosion.

-J-

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    accuracy

I recall reading that some rounds could perform differently in cold weather, but the article was referring to competitive marksmanship, not self defense.

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    As far as reliability, it won't likely cause many problems (other than the freezing moisture mentioned above). Also if you're using some sort of grease that isn't designed for cold weather use, the action may drag enough to cause the gun to not go fully into battery after your first shot.

As far as rust prevention, leaving a gun in a car is almost as bad as just leaving it outside. The car is cold, you start it up and drive to work and the car warms up, all the while melting the snow off your shoes and evaporating that (raising the humidity). This warm humid air circulating around the car will cause condensation on the gun and it will cause rust. To prevent this I would recommend that you frequently wipe down any parts that are vulnerable to corrosion.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    GLOCK%20on%20Ice-200.jpg

:eek:

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Minor surface rust is of little concern to me.

What is of concern to me is function. Whether or not your gun will function in the cold will depend on the gun itself, the lube you choose to use and how much you use of it, and how cold it is.

The only way to know is to leave your gun in the cold the way you choose to keep it in the box, then take it out when you're at the range and see if it functions in the cold weather.

One would behoove one's self by choosing a lubricant that is relatively unaffected by the cold. In my experience down to -11 F, both FP-10 and WeaponShield are no different in the cold. For a grease, the only one I know that is unaffected by temperature is TW25B. A variety of products may have claims that they are okay in the cold, but I can only report on what I know based on my experience.

Again, you can get all the advice you care to hear, but you don't know about your gun until you test your gun under the appropriate conditions.

If I keep a loaded pistol in a locked box under the seat of my car in extremely cold temps, will/does it have any effect/affect on the guns reliablity, accuracy, functionablity, or anything else that you could think of? Just wondering if anyone has had any problems with guns in extreme temps?

SMiller

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jan 15, 2009
    Hamilton Co.
    I use slide glide light no difference shooting in 110*+ in Florida and with a windchill of 12*- here in Indiana and I like a lot of lube.

IDCC

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Orange County
    I think there was a thread over at 10-8 a while back about certain cleaners and lubricants forming a gunk in the firing pin channel of handguns. Apparently when subjected to freezing temps this gunk would harden and greatly impede the firing pin.

Top Bottom