• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Excuse my language but this sucks. Pretty sure the Germ Factory( volunteering to help with Concessions at the B ball Game at my wife’s school) waged an attack. Now pretty sure I have the flu. My wife had it and slept all day Thursday, Friday, and part of today. Normally I just deal with it, life on the farm does not afford the luxury of taking it easy.

So I was wondering what OTC remedies work for you? Seems like there is so much out there, I don’t need to feel normal just looking for something that will not cause drowsiness and will make the all over body ache subside.
    I always buy Claritin for my hayfever every year, it’s non drowsy. Gotta show ID to buy. It works great on colds. I didn’t have to use it this year because found out stinging nettle stopped the hayfever. My mom drank my nettle tea recently when she got covid and she swears it helped, drained her sinuses and after 3 days was up and going again. Next time I get flu or cold I will double up on the nettle tea and if that doesn’t work I have Claritin to go to.

Ziggidy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 7, 2018
    Ziggidyville
    Vitamin A (or beta carotene), Vitamin D3 and Zink. Take double the recommended dose. Also take this daily (regular dose) after cold/flu goes away to help prevent illness.

Alka Seltzer NIGHT for night time. Musenex if you have a loose cough.

Claritin (antihistamine) was mentioned and usefull on a daily basis and does not require an ID to buy. Claritin "D" will most likely require and ID because it contains psuedoephedrine (decongestant). If treating a cold, "D" is recommended.

Read all ingredients of everything you take, and precations. You do not want to accidently double up on some drugs. Also, you may aggrivate other health conditions by taking some OTC cold remedies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    My strategy is the old Barney Fife, nip it in the bud tactic. If I have any, and I mean any tiny symptom or are just around a bunch of people I do the following daily until I have no symptoms at all.

Boost vitamin D from my normal 4000 to 6000. Immune system boost.

Boost vitamin C from 2000 to 4000. Immune system boost.

Add zinc morning and night. Immune system boost.

Add one Quercetin. Respiratory system boost.

Take spoons of honey. Natural antibiotic and a great sore throat remedy.

Zinc lozenges. Great for sore throat.

Last edited:

1nderbeard

Master
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Apr 3, 2017
    Hendricks County
    I go to advil cold and sinus in the day time. Depending on your chest congestion mucinex DM 12 hour also works.
    Not for daytime, but I like a stiff hot toddy for sleep time. I can't do any OTC cold stuff at night anymore; they all cause me serious insomnia.

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Excuse my language but this sucks. Pretty sure the Germ Factory( volunteering to help with Concessions at the B ball Game at my wife’s school) waged an attack. Now pretty sure I have the flu. My wife had it and slept all day Thursday, Friday, and part of today. Normally I just deal with it, life on the farm does not afford the luxury of taking it easy.

So I was wondering what OTC remedies work for you? Seems like there is so much out there, I don’t need to feel normal just looking for something that will not cause drowsiness and will make the all over body ache subside.
    Ya, god forbid “we” get a vaccination against flu or Covid cause we all know it‘s the .gov’s way to put cooties in our dna.

I myself would rather get my wife and children, myself sick than take the devils drugs. “Not Purple” by design

An aside.
    My wife spent 4 days in intensive care with Covid. She just spent 2 days at home with a fever due to flu. We of course sleep in the same bed for 39 years. I ain’t caught expletive.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    Ya, god forbid “we” get a vaccination against flu or Covid cause we all know it‘s the .gov’s way to put cooties in our dna.

I myself would rather get my wife and children, myself sick than take the devils drugs. “Not Purple” by design

An aside.
    My wife spent 4 days in intensive care with Covid. She just spent 2 days at home with a fever due to flu. We of course sleep in the same bed for 39 years. I ain’t caught expletive.
    Ended up taking some DayQuil tablets, they seemed to help a lot. Normally I do not take anything but there is a time and place.

Top Bottom