• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I am camping this weekend and I'm going to try to go with out a tent and try using a hammock that I just purchased. Has anyone on here ever camped in a hammock in sub 40 degree weather? If so did you use an under quilt? I have heard about them but don't want to spend $150 to get one.
    I am thinking about using clothes pins to hold an extra sleeping bag to the bottom of the hammock as a makeshift under quilt. Would this work or has anyone tried something like this? I will bring one of my tents along as a backup, but I really want to try out the hammock.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Might also try an "egg crate" foam pad if you have one.

And have an alternative sleeping spot should your set-up not suffice!

-J-

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    $7 closed cell foam camping pad from *mart. They are pretty stiff when new but once broken in they conform to the hammock nicely.

Honestly though, in cold weather I don't generally bother with a tent, I sleep on the ground with a tarp over me or strung up if it might rain. I do a lot of hiking/backpacking and a tent is for either when it is going to rain a lot with wind all of the time, or to keep the bugs off me when the weather is that warm. When it is too cold for the stinging and biting things I prefer to sleep in the open.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    [video=youtube;Nd2PNoATVbI]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Nd2PNoATVbI&feature=share&list=UU27nqmEhKz D9YHK1IFwG7qA&index=3[/video]

MarineOne

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Hendricks County
    I agree with IndyGuy and shibumiseeker......a good bag with a good closed cell pad underneath and you should be good. Should is the operative word though. You want something underneath you or the cold air will flow right across your entire back. Those pads pack away quite nicely, are lightweight, and will always work on the ground if you have to go that route. Always have a plan b.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I have heard that a pad is not enough under you as laying on it compresses the material reducing its effectiveness, that why i thought maybe a sleeping bag attached below the hammock so I don't compress the material with my weight.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have heard that a pad is not enough under you as laying on it compresses the material reducing its effectiveness, that why i thought maybe a sleeping bag attached below the hammock so I don't compress the material with my weight.

Open cell foam compresses. Close cell foam doesn't (much).

You can always build enough bulk underneath you to stay warm but it gets heavy quickly and limits how far from the car you'll get.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I spent a night in the Deam between 0 and 10 degrees in a Clark Ultralight with no quilt or pad. It was stupid cold.

If it's below freezing, I'm probably going to tough it out on the ground. I am totally sold on hammocks, having spent many nights in my Clark and slept like a babe through brutal heat, blistering thunderstorms and torrential downpours. I just think there's inherently too much to overcome when it gets really cold to make hammocks worth choosing when it drops below freezing.

That said, if you do try it out, let us know what you try and how it works.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I just bought the Equip one at walmart on a whim. Ive always wanted to try camping with a hammock since I backpack and camp a lot. I figured for $25, I'm not out much if I dont like it.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Take a bible in case it gets really cold. That way you can pray for the quick relief that only death can bring versus suffering a slow, lingering, miserable cold night. They are great for summer trips on motorcycles on logging roads in mosquito infested forests but even back when I did those, I decided I did not like the idea of sleeping in what was basically a giant sausage casing for predators. Watching my good freind "draw" his weapon in one and what happened next was priceless.

The video bwframe shared is good, that guy had a ton of material below him AND a wind break above. The wind will get you in a hammock fast. I stay on the ground year round.

draketungsten

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 30, 2012
    Hendricks Co.
    I've winter hammock camped many times in my Grand Trunk Skeeter Beeter Pro. Love that hammock. It's big and comfortable just like a Cadillac although it's heavier than most ...like a Cadillac. My preferred insulation is to pull up a down sleeping bag completely around me and the hammock. Thus there is no compression of the down underneath me. Kind of like a Speer Pea Pod. Looks like....Just Jeff's Hammock Camping Page

Also, I made my own version of the Speer Segmented Pad Extender....Just Jeff's Hammock Camping Page

Just Jeff from HammockForums has a pretty good site that demonstrates a lot of this and more. Just Jeff's Hammock Camping Page

kludge

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Word of caution... closed cell foam also acts as a vapor barrier. My 0 degree Alps Mountaineering mummy bag does a great job of "breathing" and letting out moisture, but it condenses on the foam pad.

When winter camping I put my 3-season bag between the pad and my mummy bag, not only for more comfort and insulation, but when the moisture condenses against the foam pad it will hold it away from my mummy bag.

Also, if it gets too cold for my 0 degree bag and I wake up, I can always zip the mummy bag inside the 30 degree bag, but I have never needed it.

I've never slept in a hammock in the winter, but I have thrown a tarp over my utility trailer and used the system as described here.

My sleepwear consists of Bass Pro 100% micro polyester thermal long johns, wool socks, and maybe a ski mask.

Mark-DuCo

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 1, 2012
    Ferdinand
    I ended up using a sleeping bag that i hung from the ridge line and went underneath the hammock and hung a tarp over the ridge line as a wind break. I slept in my 20 degree sleeping bag and was actually rather warm. I am definitely going to be using the hammock a lot more. Way more comfortable than sleeping on the ground.

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    I used my Warbonnet Blackbird recently in temps between 20-25f. I was paranoid so I used my therm-a-rest xtherm in the sleeve (Blackbird is double later model) and a 40 degree Enlightened Equipment quilt as an underquilt. I covered up with a 20 degree Jacks R Better quilt. I was as warm as can be. I found using the pad made it not as comfortable as without the pad. I did not inflate it all the way so it would conform to the hammock better but it still made it a little more difficult.
    I know many people use pads in the hammock and make it work and save money doing so. If you just lay the pad in the hammock and are a restless sleeper you will be chasing the pad around all night. I'd recommend getting a double layer hammock with a sleeve/pocket on the bottom to slide a pad in.
    Next time out I am going to just use the two quilts. I've heard many people say the underquilt is more important that the over quilt.

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I ended up using a sleeping bag that i hung from the ridge line and went underneath the hammock and hung a tarp over the ridge line as a wind break. I slept in my 20 degree sleeping bag and was actually rather warm. I am definitely going to be using the hammock a lot more. Way more comfortable than sleeping on the ground.

I will try something like that next time I am camping in the cold. Aside from not liking hammocks in the cold, I think they beat tents hands down for comfort the rest of the time. No more rocks, roots or uneven ground, plus I have woken up in the morning to 3" or water standing in my campsite and I was high and dry!

swampdonkey

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2012
    Bloomington
    wow i feel kinda pathetic after reading this thread and watching that video above! much respect gentleman! this sounds like a lot of fun! must try it!

Indiana Camper

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 16, 2012
    Westfield
    What I love almost better than sleeping in hammocks is having somewhere comfortable to sit while eating and relaxing. It beats some damp bug infested log any day.

PappyD

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 24, 2008
    Westfield
    Great thread! I'm really more of a 3 season hiker/camper and enjoy being comfortable more than "tuffing it out" thats for sure.

The one tip I would pass on is this- practice all this setup, etc, in your backyard. I bet most folks do that anyway so maybe this is stating the obvious.....See what works, etc.

I have a Hennessey Hammock. 2 of them. One of my sons will go with me and we'll hang 'em so our heads are close- kind of a vee pattern. I'll also rig a big silnylon tarp to cover both hammocks and provide a windbreak and extra rain protection. With the 2 hammocks up plus the big tarp/fly you can get pretty comfortable as you cook your chow, and get your feet up.

edit- got me thinking about warmer weather too. Wanted to add- get the "snakeskins" to make the whole process quicker. Roll it all up and back inthe stuff sack. I would think the other systems out there would have something similiar. The "skin" is just a long nylon tube that is pulled down over the rolled up hammock. Hennessey has great videos on their web site. Pretty cool!

Last edited:
    Top Bottom