• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I've used TW25B grease at -8 F (guns left in the car) with no problems (1911s).

Some guns are not going to function with just powdered teflon (Remington Dri-Lube). Browning BDMs would not (we tried it back in the 1990s), but then you never see those anymore.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Try Tetra gun grease. It works like a champ in the hot or the cold. I've used it in temperatures hovering between 120 and 130 degrees in a Beretta M9 and in temperatures in the low teens in a 1911.

Tanfodude

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 25, 2012
    4 Seasons
    I don't understand the love for the M&P's. I've shot them and they don't impress me. But then I'm not a pretentious snob.

I also use the Remington Dry lube and have never had a problem.

They have a much better comfort grip compared to other polymer handgun.

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    Haven't read through the thread, so feel free to chastise me if this has already been answered. What lubricants would you guys recommend for cold weather. I have been using CLP year round and haven't noticed any malfunctions but I would hate for it to happen when I need the firearm to go "bang" the most.

Soupcan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    The first time I tried to fire steel case rounds through my AR it was rather unsuccessful. It was pretty cold out. Can the cold effect something like that?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Haven't read through the thread, so feel free to chastise me if this has already been answered. What lubricants would you guys recommend for cold weather. I have been using CLP year round and haven't noticed any malfunctions but I would hate for it to happen when I need the firearm to go "bang" the most.

It depens on which CLP you are using. "CLP" is a general term for "cleans, lubricates, protects from rust," and is not unique to a brand or manufacturer.

Two CLPs that I know are fine in the cold (or hot) are FP-10 and WeaponShield.

If you need a grease for cold weather (or hot), TW25B.

rockhopper46038

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    89   0   0
    May 4, 2010
    Fishers
    My grease is tw-25b, my CLP is either Break-Free (if I'm trying to blow gunk out of a tight spot) or Weaponshield (if I'm applying it after a deep clean)

KW730

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 18, 2012
    It depens on which CLP you are using. "CLP" is a general term for "cleans, lubricates, protects from rust," and is not unique to a brand or manufacturer.

Two CLPs that I know are fine in the cold (or hot) are FP-10 and WeaponShield.

If you need a grease for cold weather (or hot), TW25B.

I should have known better, but all my army buddies have taught me to just call it CLP. Wasn't aware there were multiple manufacturers. What I commonly use is Break-Free brand.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    I should have known better, but all my army buddies have taught me to just call it CLP. Wasn't aware there were multiple manufacturers. What I commonly use is Break-Free brand.

The Army and other banches have had different supplier's CLP over the years, but they all served the same purpose(s). That's probably why they just call them all CLP. The most recent does not have teflon suspended in the mixture, whereas Break-Free CLP does.

Grunt

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    I have fired many military weapons in the winter time for prolonged periods of exposure to the weather. I've fired the M16, M60, M203, SAW, M1911A1, M9, MK19 and M2 without any cold weather related problems. The coldest temperature that I fired a weapon in was approximately -30 degrees in Alaska. I have used CLP and its predecessor LSA until we found out about WD40.

From what you describe, it sounds similar to what units experienced in the Korean War in the winter time. They attributed their problems to taking the weapons from the frosty outside to a heated area; condensation would then form in the weapons from the weapon sweating. When the weapon was warm and exposed to the frigid temp's again, they'd have problems with the condensation freezing. Unit SOPs eventually were created instructing that all weapons remain outside at all times and all oil was to be removed or substantially reduced from the weapons during the winter.

Did you take freezing weapons indoors which warmed them, and then back out into the cold?

SmokinSigs357

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    I realize that my screen name totally outs me as a SIG fanboy, but, with that being said, I'd sure like to know what SIGs had malfunctions. I can see dirtly striker fired guns, but the hammered P22X series should have no probs, just like the P30 had no probs. Also a proud P30 owner as well.

in625shooter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I realize that my screen name totally outs me as a SIG fanboy, but, with that being said, I'd sure like to know what SIGs had malfunctions. I can see dirtly striker fired guns, but the hammered P22X series should have no probs, just like the P30 had no probs. Also a proud P30 owner as well.

All firearms will have a malfuction at some point however, I was curious on that as well. I have shot, along with a whole team shooting SIG 228's hundreds of thousands of rounds in every type of weather over a 10 year period and while a couple issues developed most of the malfunctions were from the roll pin breaking and the breech block coming loose enough to cause a jam. It still shot longer than it should have though with the broken roll pin.

Makes me wonder what folks that do have an issue do to their SIG's since they use it a lot less and for normal shooting.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    The Army and other banches have had different supplier's CLP over the years, but they all served the same purpose(s). That's probably why they just call them all CLP. The most recent does not have teflon suspended in the mixture, whereas Break-Free CLP does.

Any idea what the reasoning was behind dropping the teflon?? Was it causing some issue, or was it a budget decision?

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Any idea what the reasoning was behind dropping the teflon?? Was it causing some issue, or was it a budget decision?

Not really! The specs for CLP are performance based. I'll bet that it was lowest bidder for a product that met the specs.

FP-10, WeaponShield, and Slip2000 do not have Teflon, so I'm not worried about not having it in any CLP.

thompal

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 27, 2008
    Beech Grove
    Not really! The specs for CLP are performance based. I'll bet that it was lowest bidder for a product that met the specs.

FP-10, WeaponShield, and Slip2000 do not have Teflon, so I'm not worried about not having it in any CLP.

I'm not overly worried about it. I was just curious, since one of the original selling points of CLP was that it left a teflon coating to lube and protect after the liquid had evaporated. If it no longer has the teflon, it would seem that the major selling point is somewhat no longer valid.

Top Bottom