• ...and so much more!
  • MrBlue54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 5, 2012
    LaPorte
    Greetings INGO,
    So for reasons yet unknown I added a cold weather shooting session to my list of things to do today. I am thinking this is a "bucket list" item right? Anyway, I took two pistols, one a brand new SR9C, and gear to Kingsbury DNR. I was the first person on the range and that was nice. I did dress appropriately for the 22-degree temperature however I think that I underestimated the glove situation. This is where I struggled. I knew the gloves would be the liming factor today as I have "aged" to a cooler body especially my hands. Had I used better / warmer gloves I think I would have stayed longer, but I wimped out after 80-rounds.
    So how often do you venture out in the cold to go shooting?
    Do you have gloves that keep your hands warm while also allowing you to load and shoot?
    I will say that it was fun with the exception of cold hands. And yes I will do it again once I find the right glove.

Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to All,
    MrBlue54

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I have been known to shoot a bunch and then hold the barrel. I use Mechanics gloves and the shake'n bake hand warmers.

Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    "Hot hands" are your friend. Open one up as you get there and it will help a lot.

This! I haven't found any gloves that will keep my hands warm while retaining the dexterity I need while shooting. Also I use an insulated muff that I stick my hands in as much as possible and unless I'm shooting a particularly long string, don't have any problem with cold hands.
    I do most of my shooting in the cooler months, by choice. No bugs, no sweat, and if using a public range, less crowded.

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Best gloves I've found are wool fingerless with the mitten flipover thingies. They allow dexterity when you need it but complete coverage too.

Another good way to do it is a light pair of woven wool or jersey gloves and then big heavy gloves over. Just like the rest of your body, layers are important.

bulletsmith

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Apr 26, 2015
    Lake County
    Best gloves I've found are wool fingerless with the mitten flipover thingies. They allow dexterity when you need it but complete coverage too.

Another good way to do it is a light pair of woven wool or jersey gloves and then big heavy gloves over. Just like the rest of your body, layers are important.

:+1:

I've had a pair like this, for deer hunting, for years. I love them for the very reasons stated.

Oops, forgot the link...

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/prod...tion-shooting-glove-mitt-brown-camo?a=1498697

bobjones223

Master
    Rating - 98.2%
    55   1   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Noblesville, IN
    My all time favorite gloves are the simple military surplus wool glove liners....keep me warm wet or dry and still thin enough for shooting and fishing... If it is really cold and snowy they will get covered in a leather work glove.

Contender

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2014
    Lawrence County
    I used to shoot at atterbury every weekend from first of January until April before they rebuilt it. Dress warm in layer from insulated underwear to coveralls. Just wore jersey gloves, put my hands in my pockets between strings to keep warm. Some of them cold days kept the 45-70 Contender handgun in the case though. You feel that gun on a cold day.

indyrun

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2009
    Plainfield, IN
    We shoot trap all year long, my personal record, -7° at MCF&G a few years ago. I like Drummer's gloves found a a music store. Thin leather that cover your hand to the 1st knuckle. Also a Browning PreVent shooting jacket, thin, light, but oh so warm......

trucker777

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 5, 2014
    WESTVILLE
    I like to cold weather shoot occasionally, especially if I get a new firearm or make modifications/change lubricant- to any of my existing ones... I just like to make sure they will still work right in the cold.
    Shake n bake style handwarmers work for best for me, and well, like the song says: happiness is a warm gun.

rvb

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 14, 2009
    IN (a refugee from MD)
    keeping moving is more important than the right gloves, etc. I don't use gloves, too hard to shoot and load mags with. just stick hand in armpits every few minutes. and 22 isn't cold, wait til Jan. :)

I remember practicing this feb/march... tarp to keep brass from disappearing in the snow. didn't even use a target stand, just stabbed the sticks into the snow.

-rvb

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN

My son has a set of these for winter Mosin shoots. There's nothing else like shooting prone in the snow with old Finnish capture Mosins that may very well have been used in the Winter War. His hands stay warmer than mine, but I think freezing hands are part of the Mosin snow shoot experience. It's easy to say that though, when my truck is only 5 minutes away and there's a thermos of hot coffee inside. I'm sure if I were out all day long in the snow, I'd opt for the finger mittens too.

BTW, how cold is too cold for a snowy, cold range trip outdoors for everyone? I've shot on 8 degree days without gloves up at MCFG, but it was sunny with no wind. It did not feel cold at all unlike days that are warmer but with wind and rain.

Hop

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    Indy
    I've done several Winter Appleseed shoots. Two days of laying in the snow will teach you what works and what doesn't pretty quick. Wool works great! Those base layer undies work great. Snuggling up to a warm barrel works great. :):

MohawkSlim

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2015
    firing line
    Buy a box of latex food service gloves. Use them either alone or under a pair of thin gloves.
    This is an effective technique for short trips. However, I strongly advise against this for longer duration (more than a half hour or so) because they actually trap moisture inside the gloves and will saturate your hands, therefore making them more prone to freezing. (Think prune hands in the tub meets your freezer for a few hours. OUCH!) Frostbite sets in extremely quickly once fingers are wet.

Keep your hands dry. That's why layers are so important. If dexterity is an issue use thin gloves like Isotoners or similar and then layer them up with thicker glove liners and mittens. Whenever possible, gloves should be removed and hands placed inside coats against the body. Nothing wrong with sticking your hands down your pants or under your armpits. You want them to get warm air to them to dry them out and then cover them back up as soon as possible with dry gloves.

Even an exterior pocket on a heavy coat or bibs is better than keeping them exposed. And as rvb said, keep them moving!

I've done several Winter Appleseed shoots. Two days of laying in the snow will teach you what works and what doesn't pretty quick. Wool works great! Those base layer undies work great. Snuggling up to a warm barrel works great. :):
    The only real way to learn how to keep warm in winter is to spend time out in the field figuring out what works. Appleseeds are a great way to do that. I believe Ohio and Michigan are having a few Winterseeds this year.

My son has a set of these for winter Mosin shoots. There's nothing else like shooting prone in the snow with old Finnish capture Mosins

BTW, how cold is too cold for a snowy, cold range trip outdoors for everyone?
    That Mosin shoot sounds awesome!

It's never too cold or snowy for a range trip. We should all be out there at least a few times a year to figure out how our gear works in the weather and, most importantly, how WE work! There's no quicker morale killer than being tired, wet, cold and hungry. The human spirit has a hard time overcoming those and it's imperative we face them at some point so we know we can beat it!

The truth is, it doesn't really get that cold here in Indiana. Yes, it's cold. Yes, the wind sucks. But, it's not going to be -30 for a sustained period of weeks and weeks. The gear and supplies we need to survive and operate in our area isn't all that complex. We need good layers and we need to use them effectively by moving around and taking advantage of things like a warm thermos or a fire barrel. Taking quick warm-up breaks out of the wind can be a game changer. Hot cocoa saves lives!

I'm getting pretty excited. Where's the snow already???

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    keeping moving is more important than the right gloves, etc. I don't use gloves, too hard to shoot and load mags with. just stick hand in armpits every few minutes. and 22 isn't cold, wait til Jan. :)

I remember practicing this feb/march... tarp to keep brass from disappearing in the snow. didn't even use a target stand, just stabbed the sticks into the snow.

-rvb

Do you wear gloves when you're not shooting?

If someone is practicing for self-defense and they normally wear gloves when it's cold, I think it's a good idea to do at least some practicing wearing the actual gloves they normally wear, dressed as they normally dress.

If it's just shooting for fun or sport with no intent to have any other applications, then it doesn't matter as much!

Top Bottom