• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    That's not the full story. He was a starter. His QB rating was in the bottom half of NFL starters, but there WERE several QBs who performed worse than him who still have jobs. So it's obviously not just about his mediocre performance. I used to think the same as you, watching some games he was in, and just concluding that he just doesn't have it. But then I looked at his stats and the truth they tell is that if his performance is the only reason he doesn't have a job, then there are several QBs with starting jobs now that shouldn't be playing either.

So I have to conclude he doesn't have a job for economic reasons. His value is diminished by the offsetting effect his negative perception of his character. I have no doubt that if he'd have just played last season like any other he'd likely still have a job, and if not with the 49'ers, with someone else. Maybe as a starter, maybe not. As it is, who wants to hire a QB who wore a Castro tee shirt in Miami, of all places. WTF was he thinking?

A value judgment I'm willing to make is that he is where he is because he put himself there, and there is nothing nefarious about why he's there. There is value in celebrities speaking out about causes they care about, but there are socially reasonable ways to go about it. His way was more divisive than healing, as is most of the way the left has dealt with their concerns.
    That's pretty much what I said, his playing performance does not offset the possible loss of revenue his actions may bring if he is signed. Again, if he were a Tom Brady caliber QB, he could have done much worse, and still be playing, because his performance would bring in more dollars than his actions would lose a franchise!

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    Moral of the story, when you're mediocre, media stunts are probably not a good career move!

A lesson Johnny Football learned the hard way. Prove you're THAT good when it matters and maybe enough people will overlook what an ******* you are so that you can stay employed.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Moral of the story, when you're mediocre, media stunts are probably not a good career move!

Mediocre, your contract is up and a team's offensive strategy has to be built around your specific style of play....

There were several factors at work here beyond politics and mediocrity.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Wonder how one would track how many fair weather football fans gave up on the NFL all together from CK's actions and all the BS surrounding it?

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Wonder how one would track how many fair weather football fans gave up on the NFL all together from CK's actions and all the BS surrounding it?
    I WAS a die hard football fan College and Pro, I've attended two Superbowls, an NCAA Championship, and a Probowl. I haven't watched a football game in two years, I've not attended a game, nor have I purchased any football goods. Every bit of reason why, is the grown assed infants that are in the games now! Can't stop smoking pot long enough to go to college for free? Can't control your temper around your wife, girlfriend, or random skank, long enough to collect millions for playing a game? Screw'em! Sundays are now free for range trips!

1DOWN4UP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 25, 2015
    North of 30
    I WAS a die hard football fan College and Pro, I've attended two Superbowls, an NCAA Championship, and a Probowl. I haven't watched a football game in two years, I've not attended a game, nor have I purchased any football goods. Every bit of reason why, is the grown assed infants that are in the games now! Can't stop smoking pot long enough to go to college for free? Can't control your temper around your wife, girlfriend, or random skank, long enough to collect millions for playing a game? Screw'em! Sundays are now free for range trips!
    yep...:yesway:

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    I used to be the same about major league baseball... until the big strike. I have never returned beyond, watching parts of a couple games each year.

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    You think that is all new? Other than the amount of money they make anyway.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    At a rally tonight Trump said any NFL player that doesn't stand for the Anthem should be fired.

I don't care what party you're from, calling for a private citizen to lose their job over their political beliefs is horse ****.

ddb40

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 19, 2011
    Brazil
    These sports figures have a job, working for an employer, providing entertainment to that business's customers. They are "On the Job" at the game, at every practice, and when ever they represent the team/franchise/owner/employer. When that Sports figure is off the job he/she can do what ever they choose, but when their working they are under the control of the employer and when they FAIL at their Job that employer has the right and responsibility to correct that failure. The Employer has the right and duty to see his product is of good quality and services the customer. The customer has the right to obtain or discard the product. When a business sees that it's product is not being produced well or is not selling, that business has the right to FIX the problem. The NFL is declining in ticket sales and media viewership because the owners are failing to exercise their business rights to demand every employee meet certain standards while at work. It DISGUSTS me to see my Flag, my National Anthem, my Nation, and all the citizens that have served it insulted I WILL NOT participate, support, finance, or waste my time viewing those individuals, their activities, or the entertainment business they are destroying.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    At a rally tonight Trump said any NFL player that doesn't stand for the Anthem should be fired.

I don't care what party you're from, calling for a private citizen to lose their job over their political beliefs is horse ****.
    Yep. :poop:

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    94   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    These sports figures have a job, working for an employer, providing entertainment to that business's customers. They are "On the Job" at the game, at every practice, and when ever they represent the team/franchise/owner/employer. When that Sports figure is off the job he/she can do what ever they choose, but when their working they are under the control of the employer and when they FAIL at their Job that employer has the right and responsibility to correct that failure. The Employer has the right and duty to see his product is of good quality and services the customer. The customer has the right to obtain or discard the product. When a business sees that it's product is not being produced well or is not selling, that business has the right to FIX the problem. The NFL is declining in ticket sales and media viewership because the owners are failing to exercise their business rights to demand every employee meet certain standards while at work. It DISGUSTS me to see my Flag, my National Anthem, my Nation, and all the citizens that have served it insulted I WILL NOT participate, support, finance, or waste my time viewing those individuals, their activities, or the entertainment business they are destroying.

You are not alone.

One of the reasons we elected this man is that he represents what we believe a lot of the time:

[video=youtube;Z753TSAnB8Y]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z753TSAnB8Y[/video]

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011

+1

amboy49

Master
    Rating - 83.3%
    5   1   0
    Feb 1, 2013
    central indiana

I'm not certain I believe what Kapernick, and others, are doing with the refusal to stand for the playing of the national anthem is a "political" belief. As I understand, it Kapernick believes there is a current socioeconomic "discrimination" occurring in the US. I don't equate that with a political belief. For those that believe Kapernick has a "right" to engage in a personal protest while on his employer's time, I say that's horsh*t.

Wonder how the Supreme Court will vote on the issue of whether a baker has a "right" not to bake a wedding cake for someone who doesn't share their religious views ? Not an employer/employee scenario, unless you consider the purchaser the employer and the bakery owner the employee. The baker owner ( employee ) has chosen to protest. Should he be allowed that right ?

Seems it's long past that protesters aren't required to be held accountable for their actions - but those being protested must be held to a different standard. As an aside, I saw a caption on a picture yeserday that read "Why weren't all of these statues offensive when Obama was President ?" A rather poignant question I thought.

Last edited:

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I got pissed when Obama took sides on social issues, I certainly don't think any higher of Trump when he does it.

And that's a separate issue from what the NFL should do with Kaepernick. First the NFL can perhaps sanction Kaepernick. Fines, watever. The team pays him. It's up to them to decide if his value is worth the negatives. It's not for the president to opine on, just like it was not for President Obama to lecture us about race, while faking a factually incorrect position.

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder

The NFL on the whole seems to be making a lot of bad decisions lately. Following in the steps of NASCAR for some reason.

I agree with Trump, fire them!

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom