• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    Not that we need an other open carry discussion thread, but I know a lot of us really like Colion Noir and have been following him for awhile. His sentiments in this video essentially echo my own. While I'm a strong advocate for open carry being legal in every state, I don't personally practice it about 97% of the time. I also think some of the youtube open carry commandos who bait police are people I would rather not have represent self defense advocates in general. It does sound like he's going to take on open carry from a practicality stance soon...I'm betting that will ruffle some feathers, but I don't think there's much in this video that most of us would disagree with.

Fair warning for some foul language:Open Carry Demonstrations | Mr Colion Noir

Colion Noir: Open Carry Demonstrations - YouTube

What do you think?

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I certainly dislike the stance of those who try to bait the police. That is just ridiculous and doesn't achieve anything, IMO. However, I disagree that it's a person's responsibility to consider how people feel about them open carrying a gun, within the limits of the law. Just like I would say a gun owner should not be a jerk and should know the law, I would ask the same of those opposed to guns.

I am very interested in hearing why CN doesn't OC, though.

horsehaulin

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 12, 2011
    Fort Wayne
    I agree with OC of a handgun, but I agree that carrying a rifle is asking for issues. I OC my handgun daily, but I will not carry a rifle. Besides, there's no blue helmets to target yet.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I am very interested in hearing why CN doesn't OC, though.

I am too. I don't personally OC most of the time for my own reasons, but I think there's a quite valid argument for doing so for many others. From what I've seen of him in the past he's generally a very reasonable and makes a compelling argument. I'm eager to see what he has to say on the subject, though I'm anticipating that it will ruffle some feathers. :)

111NMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I watched his video today. I pretty much agreed with it too. I believe in exercising our 2nd amendment RIGHTS, but at the same time worry that others are gonna be a little over zealous, and end up making us all look like nut-jobs.
    I also feel that at some point, somebody ( an anti-gun plant) will purposely do something stupid to try and tarnish the view of pro-2 amendment people.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    I really don't feel sorry for those that bait the cops, and seek attention for themselves. I feel most of those on youtube with the cop batting videos are only doing so for attention, not for any political point. I refuse to increase there view counts that they get off on.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne
    I agree with OC of a handgun, but I agree that carrying a rifle is asking for issues. I OC my handgun daily, but I will not carry a rifle. Besides, there's no blue helmets to target yet.

If I could CC a rifle easily I would. If you're going to OC you might as well bring enough gun. :)

Kedric

Master
    Rating - 80%
    4   1   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Grant Co.
    I dislike police baiters and attention seekers, on general principals.

Like Que said however, I also disagree that it is our responsibility to modify our behavior and actions for the sensibilities of others who are either easily panicked or who are merely woefully ignorant. I have a mild rant about this kind of stuff, but I won't derail the thread with it. :ingo:

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Can't say I disagree with him. I did think this was going to be about Open Carry Demonstrations. Rather, it was about "baiting" law enforcement and others in the hopes of getting something on film.

The Second doesn't give anyone the right to be a jerk. That is the First.

Actually, neither the Second NOR the First GIVE us anything. But I suppose that is picking nits.

citrigin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2011
    baiting the police is such a bad idea. I am all for the right to carry, but inconspicuously if at all possible.

indydrew1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Aug 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    I dislike police baiters and attention seekers, on general principals.

Like Que said however, I also disagree that it is our responsibility to modify our behavior and actions for the sensibilities of others who are either easily panicked or who are merely woefully ignorant. I have a mild rant about this kind of stuff, but I won't derail the thread with it. :ingo:

I agree 100% but if you are going to open carry, a long gun at that, then you do need to be aware of what others ignorance will bring on you. Not saying it's right, just saying you should expect some crap, as sad as that is. The you tubers are just looking for hugs from there daddies, attention whores.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Is this a debate about carrying long guns in public(no permission slip needed) or about OC/CC of your handgun(permission slip required) or is it about The Right of the People to bear arms shall not be infringed!.

Are we missing the forest for looking at the trees. We gun owners always want to point at the dumbing down of America, the low infomation voters, bleeding heard liberals… but fail to see the just how soft we can be. May not agree with how the Youtubers do it but glad someone is doing it.

Last edited:

jbombelli

ITG Certified
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 17, 2008
    Brownsburg, IN
    Regarding those who bait the police - it wouldn't be an issue if the police would refuse to allow themselves to be baited. If the police would just FOLLOW THE LAW AS IT'S WRITTEN, instead of being hard-ons, so many many of those videos you all get angry at watching would never have been posted.

If something isn't against the law, don't tell me not to do it. Don't tell me you'd appreciate it if I didn't do it. Don't ask me not to do it. Don't take the next 5-10 minutes lecturing me on why it's a bad idea. Don't tell me about the 5-year-old girls. Don't tell me you can arrest me if you want. Don't threaten to shoot me. Don't make up your own laws.

Just acknowledge that I'm complying with the law, wish me a nice day, and go away. That's all you gotta do to avoid looking like a jackbooted dumbass on youtube.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Regarding those who bait the police - it wouldn't be an issue if the police would refuse to allow themselves to be baited. If the police would just FOLLOW THE LAW AS IT'S WRITTEN, instead of being hard-ons, so many many of those videos you all get angry at watching would never have been posted.

If something isn't against the law, don't tell me not to do it. Don't tell me you'd appreciate it if I didn't do it. Don't ask me not to do it. Don't take the next 5-10 minutes lecturing me on why it's a bad idea. Don't tell me about the 5-year-old girls. Don't tell me you can arrest me if you want. Don't threaten to shoot me. Don't make up your own laws.

Just acknowledge that I'm complying with the law, wish me a nice day, and go away. That's all you gotta do to avoid looking like a jackbooted dumbass on youtube.

QFT

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI

And that is the other side of the argument. See, there is two sides of the story.

CTS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jun 24, 2012
    Fort Wayne

While I agree with that, there are some who intentionally try to look suspicious to draw attention. If you're going about your normal day and get stopped I have a problem with it. If you're standing next to the entrance of a bank with an MP5, you need a talking to.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    He looks suspicious because those actions are obvious yes not criminal. Wonder if a criminal intent on robbing the bank or assisting with the get away would be as obvious? Probably not.

Top Bottom