• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Degtyaryov

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2013
    The RNC really needs to get their act together. Most of them are absurdly out of touch with values and needs of my generation (which are quickly becoming those of mainstream society), and refuse to change. They need to read the writing on the wall and focus on their primary goal of limited government and individual freedom. And stop running candidates who come off as basically pro-rape.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    The RNC really needs to get their act together. Most of them are absurdly out of touch with values and needs of my generation (which are quickly becoming those of mainstream society), and refuse to change. They need to read the writing on the wall and focus on their primary goal of limited government and individual freedom. And stop running candidates who come off as basically pro-rape.

Please pay attention. They came off as "pro-rape" because politicians and the media spun it that way. That's not reality, but you fell for it. You own that part.

Those Republican politicians who failed didn't fail because they were pro-life. The part they played in their failure was that they weren't politically savvy enough to answer the question without preaching.

That said, I agree that the Republican party needs to focus on small government/individual liberty. But that doesn't mean that individual candidates can't have certain views outside of that.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Please pay attention. They came off as "pro-rape" because politicians and the media spun it that way. That's not reality, but you fell for it. You own that part.

Those Republican politicians who failed didn't fail because they were pro-life. The part they played in their failure was that they weren't politically savvy enough to answer the question without preaching.

That said, I agree that the Republican party needs to focus on small government/individual liberty. But that doesn't mean that individual candidates can't have certain views outside of that.

He did say "come off as pro-rape." And... if the media spins it that way, well, that's how they'll come off.

The problem is that a lot of Republicans are still running the program old-fashioned and religious. New voters who would agree with a lot of Republican ideologies can't get over these humps. They're no longer pro-life, nor anti-LGBT. These are important issues for young voters, even if they're not for the old guard.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    The kicker is that Republicans have the ultimate out to gain these votes on losing issues while maintaining their personally views. That is they should defer to states rights. It's both the Constitutional way and the way Republicans won't lose votes pushing unpopular views on a national scale.

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    He did say "come off as pro-rape." And... if the media spins it that way, well, that's how they'll come off.

The problem is that a lot of Republicans are still running the program old-fashioned and religious. New voters who would agree with a lot of Republican ideologies can't get over these humps. They're no longer pro-life, nor anti-LGBT. These are important issues for young voters, even if they're not for the old guard.

So they don't want to be republicans until the republicans vote and think like democrats:dunno: I would just as soon not be like those new fangled democrats, maybe i'm just too old fashioned and religious.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    So they don't want to be republicans until the republicans vote and think like democrats:dunno: I would just as soon not be like those new fangled democrats, maybe i'm just too old fashioned and religious.

No, no. Just don't make those ideals the platform, and keep your personal beliefs off the table.

Espouse small government and states' rights. If someone asks how you feel about abortion, state that those are your personal beliefs and you'd rather not discuss them, but you are willing to discuss legislative manners pertaining to them. And know what bills are out there at the time that you support/oppose. Don't bring the morality into it, just the politics.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell

And just think where society will be in another generation or two. I'd wager many of the self-proclaimed, pro-liberty, new-fangled thinkers of today will be bridling with what their children and grandchildren think is cool. It seems to be a cycle that repeats itself.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    And just think where society will be in another generation or two. I'd wager many of the self-proclaimed, pro-liberty, new-fangled thinkers of today will be bridling with what their children and grandchildren think is cool. It seems to be a cycle that repeats itself.

No doubt. As you get older, it's harder to accept new ideas. I don't mean that as an insult to anyone, it's just that we become ingrained with what we think is right, and what the younger folks are doing is backwards.

Just look at the merits of the points, and if you have a disagreement, explain. Seems simple to me.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    No doubt. As you get older, it's harder to accept new ideas. I don't mean that as an insult to anyone, it's just that we become ingrained with what we think is right, and what the younger folks are doing is backwards.

Just look at the merits of the points, and if you have a disagreement, explain. Seems simple to me.

Another thing I've noticed: When I was younger, I thought I had the whole world figured out. I thought the old codgers were old stick in the muds that were resistant to change because they--well, just what you said. As I've grown older, *I* realized I wasn't as smart as I thought I was and those old codgers actually possessed quite a bit of wisdom.

Stickfight

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2010
    Dountoun ND
    “Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

- Socrates

Tell me more about how young people are sending the country down the tubes, and your plan to correct that by further alienating them.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    “Our youth now love luxury. They have bad manners, contempt for authority; they show disrespect for their elders and love chatter in place of exercise; they no longer rise when elders enter the room; they contradict their parents, chatter before company; gobble up their food and tyrannize their teachers.”

- Socrates

Tell me more about how young people are sending the country down the tubes, and your plan to correct that by further alienating them.

None of this happened until the generations after mine came along. :rofl:

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Espouse "state's rights?" Surely no one will spin that to make Republicans look bad.

Sure, someone will. But it's better to be hated by the left for supporting states' rights than to be hated by all for being "okay with rape."

Even if you and I both know what they meant, that doesn't matter. What matters is what makes you electable.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

You get to say he "comes off as pro-rape" when that's the natural way most people would take it. When politicians and the Media makes it into something it's not, it's their spin that comes off as pro-rape, and not what was actually said. You own how well you discern the difference. That's on you.

And, you'll be older. And some day you'll possibly converse with some younger person on whatever kind of forum they have at that time, talking about how you thought you knew everything about the world when you were that age. And he--it's almost always "he" because ladies usually don't have this problem--will likely think you're just a silly old man stuck in your ways.

Also, a given idea is either good or bad because of what it produces, not because it's new or old. All bad ideas were new at some point. So please don't use an idea's age as a measurement of worth.

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    Let's take a look at the article and what republicans are avoiding in their quest to become irrelevant.

1. Youth Vote Fatalism

"Conventional wisdom incorrectly holds that young people naturally favor Democrats. This is used primarily as an excuse for the GOP’s poor performance among young voters in recent elections… but in the 2000 election, George W. Bush only lost young voters by 2 points, while at the same time losing senior citizens (aged 65 and older) by 4 points. "
    The gop has essentially given up on young voters due a flawed perception that they're not available. The facts say otherwise. They're losing more aged voters than youth, who would be ripe for recruitment if the gop would stop what their currently doing and take a slightly different tack.

5. Identity Politics

“On the ‘open-minded’ issue … [w]e will face serious difficulty so long as the issue of gay marriage remains on the table.” Also: “Latino voters … tend to think the GOP couldn’t care less about them.” When respondents were asked to describe the GOP, “The responses were brutal: closed-minded, racist, rigid, old-fashioned.”
    This is one area that really gigged the gop last go around. And it's a perception that they really need to address and amend. Perception IS everything.

6. Brand Challenge

"It is not hard to find examples of Republican missteps in the 2012 election that enhanced this brand challenge. Whether the infamous '47%' remarks made by Romney or the 'legitimate rape' comments made by Rep. Todd Akin in his Senate campaign, there were numerous examples of Republican leaders making statements that were terribly out of step with where voters – particularly young voters – stand."
    Candidates, in all parties, need to watch what they say and how they say things. This is just common sense. We live in a world were cameras are everywhere and your words will be heard and broadcast for everyone to see. Any candidate that's out there needs to think first and then speak.

8. Flawed Messengers

“In the discussion about the 2012 election and the failure to reach young voters, many point to poor candidates and flawed messengers as a key reason why the GOP suffered.” (Pictured above: An example of a good communicator - Senator Ted Cruz.)

9. Winning Narrative

“Economic growth, tackling long-term challenges, and focusing on opportunity trumped narratives around the constitution, liberty, and American values. While those things are not unimportant, this generation is looking for outcomes – particularly economic outcomes – that are going to make them better off... A message focused on economic growth is a clear winner, but it must have the substance behind it in order to resonate and succeed.”
    Young republicans aren't interested in the endless war on on gays, abortion and the other myriad topics that concern the older generation who can't accept the world the way it is. They're much more interested in jobs and their futures. That's a message most people can get behind. They really want the social issues to take a seat in the trunk. Maybe even in a trailer and not in the car, at all. They're much more a live and let live group than the older republicans, but they can be easily driven away, (and the last election says the gop managed to drive many of them away). If the gop is to gain any headway and not implode, they're going to have to become a much bigger tent and segments of their base are going to have make concessions or they're going to continue to be seated at the kiddy table when it comes to power.

Bapak2ja

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Yet another group that the gop has chosen to write off lets the RNC know how badly they've blown it, (and continue to blow it). They continue to play to a part of their delusional base and insist on marginalising their future voters. If this continues the gop will go the way of the Whigs.

College Republicans Issue Scathing Report to GOP for Failing Youth Voters | Independent Journal Review

I hope the GOP does collapse. Then the RINOs will be exposed and a truly conservstive party will emerge.

Top Bottom