• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    If you've ever wondered what the 11 (actually 12) herbs and spices are well the wait is over. A nephew of the Colonel has spilled the beans and the recipe is a secret no more.

11 Spices – Mix With 2 Cups White Fl.
    1] 2/3 T. Salt
    2] 1/2 T. Thyme
    3] 1/2 T. Basil
    4] 1/3 T. Origino (sic)
    5] 1 T. Celery Salt
    6] 1 T. Black Pepper
    7] 1 T. Dried Mustard
    8] 4 T. Paprika
    9] 2 T. Garlic Salt
    10] 1 T. Ground Ginger
    11] 3 T. White Pepper

12] MSG

KFC recipe challenge: Tribune kitchen puts the 11 herbs and spices to the test - Chicago Tribune

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Gonna have to disagree. I did a research paper on it and you're gonna need a lot more references to change my mind.

I mean no offense, but a paper published in a journal? For a college class? What level of psper.

I avoid msg but might be interested in reading your paper to back up why.

Doritos are sorely missed.

TB1999

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 22, 2010
    I mean no offense, but a paper published in a journal? For a college class? What level of psper.

I avoid msg but might be interested in reading your paper to back up why.

Doritos are sorely missed.

No offense taken. It was a paper for college..which was not intended to be published. Although this was 15 years ago sso I'm sure there has been more research published since. Maybe if I did the same project today, I would have a different conclusion.

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Danville
    Man, if that's the real deal, then that nephew is a dork. He ruined great folklore and a family and commercial tradition. I guess that's the way things are going. No respect for anything.

I'm still going to enjoy KFC, as long as they don't use this as impetus to screw up their chicken.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Man, if that's the real deal, then that nephew is a dork. He ruined great folklore and a family and commercial tradition. I guess that's the way things are going. No respect for anything.

I'm still going to enjoy KFC, as long as they don't use this as impetus to screw up their chicken.

Maybe he was just being obtuse in sharing a cool family history moment. Maybe someone at Yum! pissed him off really bad and he finally found a way to strike back without doing something that would open the door for legal action like a flagrant disclosure as opposed to 'look at this really cool piece of history I found'. Hard to say, and I really doubt that he is going to give us an honest answer on the matter.

Now that I have been thinking about this for a while, this nephew is the nephew of the Colonel's second ex-wife. This would lead a person to suspect that some family baggage is coming into play with this choice as well, again, under conditions in which it can be attributed legally to being obtuse rather than malicious.

Last edited:

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Maybe look into Harlan Sanders and what he had to say about KFC after selling it. They stopped using his 'secret recipe' a long time ago. It's mostly just MSG today. It ticked him off enough he had another spice maker recreate the original to compete against the corporate version, and opened a new chain to compete against his old one (which led to a lawsuit from KFC).

Also keep in mind KFC uses pressure friers. I worked at one for about 3 months when in high school. They are basically a combination of deep fryer and pressure cooker. The oil is not at a steady temperature but follows a curve, taking 15 minutes to fry a basket under pressure, which forces the oil deeper into the chicken.

If I'm going to eat fast food fried chicken, Popeye's is the only game in town for me at this point.

Top Bottom