• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Nothing wrong with different groups trying to develop smart firearms, including this youngster. It will likely suffer from all of the usual downsides of such firearm.
    • Technology will reduce reliability for gun owner- due to electronics problems, trouble recognizing fingerprints when needed, etc.
    • No apparent way to use it when wearing gloves.
    • Gun owner may have trouble sharing gun with others either during practice or under duress.
    • It may be possible for others to disable the firearm without the owners approval.
    Beyond the technical issues, the real thing holding back sales on any of these firearms is the New Jersey poison pill law that will require that only such firearms be sold. There already has been at least one gun pulled from the shelves because of this law. This firearm will fare no better.

In a free market, gun owners would purchase at least some of these smart guns and would encourage further development. In the current regulatory environment, good luck.

Last edited:

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    I'll pass.

You'd think the article would have mentioned where on the gun you're supposed to place your finger to scan the print. I'm guessing the trigger, which would pretty much force you to break one of the four rules every time you picked it up.

planedriver

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 20, 2009
    gone
    I'm glad to see a young guy who is able to think! I am also amazed that he was able to do anything with a gun and school. My son's school will suspend a student for drawing a picture of a gun, same with stories that involve guns. Who knows how they portray the revolutionary war.... Oh yeah now I remember, "you're OK, I'm OK, let's just talk this out."

As goes the gun if you have ever owned a late model Jaguar..... Well you get the idea.

avboiler11

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    New Albany
    It is very interesting technology; I'll consider purchasing a firearm with such tech just as soon as the US Military and state and/or federal LE agencies adopt it.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    I agree with all the above. It solves a problem I do not have; it creates new problems in addition to those I might encounter in the future; it adds cost -- no thanks.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Does it default to "locked" or "unlocked"?

If its unlocked with a fingerprint, how long does it stay unlocked? Do I need to unlock it as I draw, or do I unlock it in the morning and then relock it at night?

Power source?

At best, its a high tech replacement for a padlock with a cable. At worse, it'll get you killed. The above questions will answer which it is.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    Likely the same as any other electronics. Doubtful that hardening it vs. EMP would be a design priority.

That is the same reason some insist on having strictly mechanical locks on their gun safe.

Excalibur

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   2   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    I'm sure the college student means well like most of us when we went to college, but this guy needs to actually go shoot some guns and see the real world **** that can happen to just a plain old gun in the mud, dirt and safe, with blood and the violence around you and then think about an electronic device that restricts the gun.

Redhorse

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 8, 2013
    Sorry but I'll pass, this is a solution in search of a problem where none exists. There's no problem with firearms the way they are now and there's no need to add "smart" technology to them.

threedhuntr

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 25, 2011
    Howard county
    Not on mine !!!! Everyone keeps trying to"fix" the firearm ..... which is not the problem. It's the people that choose to use it wrong that need the fixin'.

On a side note .... good to see the young one putting forth the effort.

Top Bottom