• ...and so much more!
  • Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    We need more LEOs that think like this!
    OUR VIEW: Sheriff says he'll undermine gun ban | state, gun, - Opinion - Colorado Springs Gazette, CO

The Colorado State University Board of Governors voted unanimously Tuesday to place students at both of its campuses in harm’s way with a sweeping weapons ban law-abiding citizens will obey and criminals will ignore.
    Larimer County Sheriff James Alderden, outraged by the ban, told The Gazette’s opinion department he will undermine it in the interest of student safety.
    CSU-Fort Collins Police Chief Wendy Rich-Goldsmith, a relative newcomer to the campus, supports the ban.
    “I have told the CSU police chief I will not support this in any way,” Sheriff Alderden told The Gazette. “If anyone with one of my permits gets arrested for concealed carry at CSU, I will refuse to book that person into my jail. Furthermore, I will show up at court and testify on that person’s behalf, and I will do whatever I can to discourage a conviction. I will not be a party to this very poor decision.”
    (more at link)

infidel

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    Hopefully the majority of people in his county fully support him.

How can people look at a school shooting in the papers one day and the next say that people shouldn't be allowed to defend themselves at a school?

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Here's the sheriff's email if it matters.

I sent him a note of appreciation and a brief description of our joke of a mayor.

My letter to the Sherrif:

I just wanted to let you know that I support your decision not to support the Colorado State University Board of Governors gun ban. Even though I'm not from your jurisdiction it's nice to see someone in elected office supporting the right of individuals to self defense.

Ever considered running for president? ;)

indytechnerd

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Here and There
    read the article, voted in the poll next to it...

Should Colorado State students ignore the new weapons ban, as one sheriff suggests?
    Yes, they should ignore the ban - 84%
    No, they should obey the campus rules - 15%
    I don't know - 0%
    I don't care - 0%
    Total Votes: 630

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    College gun ban
    Poll Results
    Should Colorado State students ignore the new weapons ban, as one sheriff suggests?
    Yes, they should ignore the ban
    85%
    No, they should obey the campus rules
    14%
    I don't know
    0%
    I don't care
    0%
    Total Votes: 721

The comments are pretty interesting. Lots of debate about LAWS, even though this is a discussion about a UNIVERSITY POLICY. Even the poll is about ignoring their policy, not ignoring any laws (a few commenters are a bit confused on this point). The Sheriff is refusing to book them on weapons charges, and it sounds like he would be in the right. About the only law the school could enforce is trespass. Other than that, it is all disciplinary action within the school.

A big :yesway: to the Sheriff for standing up. He had some great quotes in that article!

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Reply from Sheriff Alderden to my earlier email:

President? No thank you. That would mean going to the dark side and becoming a politician.

I do appreciate you support.

Jim Alderden
    Sheriff

We've exchanged a couple of emails since (including one in which he gave me permission to repost the above). Nice man from what I can tell.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    I shot him an email and he got back to me and said I was the fifth Hoosier to contact him. He wondered if the story ran in an Indiana paper and I told him no, it ran on INGO!

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    I shot him an email and he got back to me and said I was the fifth Hoosier to contact him. He wondered if the story ran in an Indiana paper and I told him no, it ran on INGO!

That was fast. I just shot him a message as well, I wonder how many contacts he's getting.

Archaic_Entity

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    Same here, definitely showed appreciation. I think it's quite interesting and amazing how much word can spread on the internet. We have their local online newspaper and are able to send thanks to someone completely unrelated and unknown to us until now.

That's power of the people, I think.

Top Bottom