• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I picked up what's known as a New Navy 1889 and have it pictured with my civilian model 1889 which sports Ivory grips. Looking for some period grips for this Navy relic without much success.

This revolver like most was reworked by Colt after the 1892 modifications to the locking mechanism requested by the Army. The original design uses the hand to lock the cylinder much like the Colt 1878 does, the civilian model pictured was never reworked and doesn't have any of the modifications. The new Army/Navy revolver was the first swing out cylinder design, but the revolver design itself went through a number of changes to satisfy Army purchasing over it's lifespan. After the Philippine Insurrection and the Thompson LaGarde tests it was shelved as the Army turned it's attention to semi auto guns in 45 caliber.

One of the 1889s was salvaged from the Maine and presented to Theodore Roosevelt.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    I don't know if you reload, but 3F black powder in a 38 LC or special case with a Hornady 148 grain HBWC makes acceptable ammo for accuracy. Beats trying to cast, load and crimp the heeled ammo for it.

indyartisan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Feb 2, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    Thank you for the education.
    I thought it would have to be a black powder load but thought I would need a .38 long colt case and bullet.
    The hollow base wadcutter bullet is used to expand into the rifling when fired?
    You truly are a fountain of knowledge and a great asset to us all Leadeye.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Thank you for the education.
    I thought it would have to be a black powder load but thought I would need a .38 long colt case and bullet.
    The hollow base wadcutter bullet is used to expand into the rifling when fired?
    You truly are a fountain of knowledge and a great asset to us all Leadeye.

Exactly. The 38 LC is .375 bullet diameter as it was a heeled cartridge. Today when we talk "38" it's .357 as cartridge makers moved all the bullet inside the case itself. The skirt of the HBWC expands to give the bullet some grip on the rifeling. Colt did the same thing with the 41 Colt.

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Does the old 1860 Moore not count as the 1st swing out cylinder??

Well, it is Colt promoting the history.;)

Maybe they mean first regular cartridge revolver, I think the Moore teat fire was a cap and ball era gun and designed to get around an S&W patent.

Last edited:

ghitch75

livin' in the sticks
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    117   0   0
    Dec 21, 2009
    Greene County
    New Army D.A. 38 made in 1902....

SZKmDUv.jpg

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    Nice looking Army ghitch, as it's an 02 you can probabaly just shoot 38 special 148 grain HBWC smokeless in that. Good looking pearl!

indy1919a4

Master
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Well, it is Colt promoting the history.;)

Maybe they mean first regular cartridge revolver, I think the Moore teat fire was a cap and ball era gun and designed to get around an S&W patent.

The original swing out cylinder Moore revolvers shot 32 Rimfire. Made and sold at the start of the civil war.. Then were stopped by Smith & Wesson ... Well Rollin White.

2059-DMoore-7-shooter-7.jpg

Then the Moore Teat Fire were designed.. They did not have swing out cylinders. Did not need them..

2Q==

Best part of the Moore Swing out cylinder revolver history is it was the gun that Sheriff Grayson carried in the civil war and was used to save Tom Dula (of the Song Tom Dooley fame) from being lynched. The sheriff did not need the gun on Tom Dula to capture him, The sheriff threatened him with a rock. (But I think the gun in his belt helped).

[video=youtube;jP_vynIOxOU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jP_vynIOxOU[/video]

Top Bottom