• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    can someone please tell me whats the big deal about these ar15's. i have one i see them going for stupid money but what is so special about these that people go nuts for them? :dunno:

Opie

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Feb 2, 2013
    Evansville
    Colt is considered one of the better mass produced factory rifles out there. The bolts and barrels are MPI inspected and you know what you are getting when you buy one. I do own a Colt and it shoots like every other AR15 I have fired.

Now drink the kool-aid and accept Colt as the only worthy AR15 on earth!

Seriously, I think they are $1100-1200 rifles. LMT, BMC, and others produce guns just as good as the Colt in my opinion.

Last edited:

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Anticipated government bans caused a rush to buy before they became unavailable. That caused scarcity which drove prices which created a profit motive among....well let's call them entrepreneurs...and now $800 AR's are trying to be sold for $1000 premiums. The good news is that it looks like a ban will probably not happen, so now we have to wait for sanity and calm to return to spooked gun owners and for the pipeline to refill.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    Stooooopid money = AR15. Have you seen the DPMS in our very own classifieds for $1900.00? Other than that they are well built, reliable rifles that carry the Colt name.

dubsac

Master
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    May 31, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Colt is considered one of the better mass produced factory rifles out there. The bolts and barrels are MPI inspected and you know what you are getting when you buy one. I do own a Colt and it shoots like every other AR15 I have fired.

Now drink the kool-aid and accept Colt as the only worthy AR15 on earth!

I think they are $1100-1200 rifles. LMT, BMC, and others produce guns just as good as the Colt in my opinion.

Walmart in brownsburg sells them for 1079.99 when they get them.

nova512

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Jan 5, 2009
    west side of indy
    i heard a rumor that they are the only post ban ar that can be made full auto without major machine work , im asking cause i dont know so be nice to my lack of knowledge.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    i heard a rumor that they are the only post ban ar that can be made full auto without major machine work , im asking cause i dont know so be nice to my lack of knowledge.

LE6920s are no different, parts wise, than any other AR15 type rifle. All parts are interchangable.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    What you have in a 6920 is a Mil-Spec rifle. To some people, that makes a difference. (Like me). There are more expensive custom AR's that are clearly superior. But when the SHTF, give me a 6920.

Manatee

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 18, 2011
    Indiana
    LE6920s are no different, parts wise, than any other AR15 type rifle. All parts are interchangable.

Not true. Carriers are different. Buffer tube is not a commercial diameter. F front sight. Carrier key staking not done on all platforms. Barrels not inspected. Feed ramps...some I've seen done with a Dremel.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    can someone please tell me whats the big deal about these ar15's. i have one i see them going for stupid money but what is so special about these that people go nuts for them? :dunno:

I would rather have a 6721,6920 barrel has to be weaker,beings the setup.

jb1911

Expert
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Nov 21, 2011
    Dyer, IN
    Not true. Carriers are different. Buffer tube is not a commercial diameter. F front sight. Carrier key staking not done on all platforms. Barrels not inspected. Feed ramps...some I've seen done with a Dremel.
    I was referring to Nova512's post about the Colt being the only ar15 that could be modified to full auto.

Bonecrusher225

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2013

Just picked up one of these with the Magpul furniture for $1240 OTD at the Aurora Walmart. Fit and finish on this rifle are outstanding. I also own an LMT, but the Colt definately has the better finish. Colt rifles are subject to very stringent GC as mandated by their government contract. Every barrel and bolt assembly are proof fired using a high pressure round and then magnetically particle inspected. This will show any flaws or stress fractures in the metal. Most lower tier manufacturers ( whom I won't name) only batch test. They are also made to Milspecs which mandates what type of materials can be used. In short what you are getting might cost a little more, but it will be made to very high standards and with proper care will last a very long time. They also hold their value well. :patriot:

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    for the average civilian user, pretty much any brand is fine.

but for professional use, there might be a reason why people tend to prefer Colt, BCM, LMT, Daniel Defense, etc

flhultra

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    corydon area
    been years since I looked at a colt.
    but I do know that they put a block of steel behind the hammer so that you could NOT use a drop in to turn it into full auto.
    that was done during the last ban , I doubt if they have stopped doing it.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    CMT(Continental Machine&Tool) makes quite a few parts for Colt as they do for many others. What many people don't realize is that is very few manufacturers out there that produce the majority of the AR parts that get re-branded. My LMT & Noveske lowers are machined better than my Colt, Stag & Spikes lowers. The TDP isn't a big secret anymore so there are a handful of ARs out there are just as good if not better then Colt. Regardless they are a great rifle and I enjoy all my ARs! Right now they are getting a little expensive to feed :(

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's the name 'Colt' that sends peoples' imaginations into fantasy island. Admit it.

Same with the 1911.

I can't think of one single thing that Colt is best at in any of the platforms that they share market with other manufacturers. Not the 1911, nor their revolvers, and definitely not the AR.

sig1473

Master
    Rating - 100%
    100   0   0
    May 28, 2009
    The Greater Good
    Just because CMT may make a lot of the parts used in a lot of AR's doesn't mean they are all made to the same spec.

Properly staked gas-key, chrome-lined bolt carrier, MPI/HP tested bolts/barrels(with plus package), yada yada. All offered by Stag. The only thing I don't like is the 1/9 twist, lack of M4 feed ramps, and the semi-auto carrier. In the grand scheme of things, I HIGHLY doubt any on this board could tell the difference. Is it my number #1 go-to AR? No. That is reserved for my Noveske or LMT/Noveske but that is purely because of the way I have them set up. And I doubt any of us have been to Colt and have seen their operations.:cool:

Top Bottom