• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cwillour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    90   0   0
    Dec 10, 2011
    Northern Indiana
    whats the advantage to free float or moe?

MOE = light & relatively inexpensive (add rail pieces where you want/need them)

for reference: https://www.primaryarms.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=moe+hand+guard

Free float = isolates the barrel from forces exerted on the handguard (sling tension, bipod loading, etc.)

TTAG on free float: Ask Foghorn: What Does a "Free Float" Barrel Do? - The Truth About Guns

Most free float rails require the disassembly of the upper to replace the barrel nut, while a few more only require the delta ring to be cut off. The ones I mentioned above utilize the existing barrel nut & delta ring assembly, so no cutting is needed and the original handguards can be re-installed at a later time.

Last edited:

Shooler12

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 15, 2014
    Plainfield
    Probably going to go with the dd omega 7.0. One more newb question. If I switched out my buffer tube for a mil spec would it cut down on the loud spring sound?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Your 6920 already has a milspec tube. Switching to a different one won't change the spring noise. That noise is caused by your buffer and spring cycling back and forth. You could try swapping out to a different buffer or spring, but I wouldn't be overly concerned about the noise. It's part of the system.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Probably going to go with the dd omega 7.0. One more newb question. If I switched out my buffer tube for a mil spec would it cut down on the loud spring sound?

Your 6920 already has a milspec tube. Switching to a different one won't change the spring noise. That noise is caused by your buffer and spring cycling back and forth. You could try swapping out to a different buffer or spring, but I wouldn't be overly concerned about the noise. It's part of the system.
    My Spikes lower has the ST-T2 tungsten heavy buffer and it does not make that spring sound. They are on sale right now for $27.99 at Primary Arms (my favorite credit card eater).
    Spike's Tactical ST-T2 Heavy Buffer - SPKSLA00T2 - Primary Arms

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Maybe, I still have 6920s with stock handguards.

I think, and just my $.02, new shooters should have a threshold test before they drag their AR through the Brownell's catalogue. "Does this solve a problem for me?" should be the controlling question.

Jeremy1066

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 25, 2011
    Ft. Wayne
    Maybe, I still have 6920s with stock handguards.

I think, and just my $.02, new shooters should have a threshold test before they drag their AR through the Brownell's catalogue. "Does this solve a problem for me?" should be the controlling question.
    Soooo are you saying that we shouldn't waste money on things that we don't even need? But I have 60 linear inches of rail space to use!?

Add purple where necessary.

As to your original question, I think the DD Omega is a solid choice. It is a free float tube and you won't even need to take your delta ring or FSB off to instal it.

tradertator

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Jul 1, 2008
    Greene County
    Daniel Defense makes an awesome rail, excellent choice. In regards to the noise your hearing in the receiver extension, swap out your factory spring with a chrome silicone one. Cheap fix, and much better product. Damage Industries makes one, and they're currently running a sale.

Top Bottom