• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • partyboy6686

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    95   0   0
    Oct 9, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Ive heard that most of your compact and shorter barrel 1911's have some reliability issues. FTF and FTE issues. Ive never expierenced these issues with the compact or shorter barrel 1911's Ive owned but I have only shoot maybe 100 rounds through them. But my brother had nothing but problems with his compact 1911.

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Ok.. nuff said. It'll be a trade deal. Really wanting a Glock 23 and was offered the 1911, I dont want to settle on anything either.

mrproc1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Indy
    Ooo for sure. But like I said, I have a non firearm trade and this cat offered the 1911, so I'd figure I'd ask for some info.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I've owned several shorter barreled 1911s and have found them to be no different in reliability than my full size 1911s. Even the Kimber Ultra with it's 3" barrel functioned flawlessly for me. I really like shooting 1911s, so they do get shot a bunch. My Ultra was at the low end of the round count with maybe 500 rounds through it but the others are pushing 1000 each. My other short 1911s are another Kimber and a RIA, so it's not just the higher end ones that work well with a shorter barrel.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I'd snatch up the Colt. Harder to find, can be made reliable if it is not presently.

Colts are always in demand; GLOCKS are common as dirt, at least in NORMAL times, if not now, good guns though they are.

I have a Kimber 3" that has been reliable as heck, and it is not one of their high end models.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've shot about a dozen compact and ultra carry 1911s without issue.
    I've got a buddy 6'2" and can't get his to cycle. I have NO problems with it working properly for me.
    Most issues are caused by grip issues (limp wristing) and ammo.
    I'd be surprised if the Colt didn't run and cycle great.
    Good barter gun and worth more than the Glocks.

alhambra lion

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    I know there are plenty of horror stories on this type of gun, but my personal experience has been great. I have a 3" S&W Pro Series. Love shooting that gun. One large hole in the center of the target every time. Have about 600 rounds through it. No issues. It even has the dreaded external extractor so I double dipped on the 1911 no no's and came out lucky. 10/10 would buy again

herby31

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2010
    fort wayne
    i have an officers model, series 90. good stuff, first handgun i ever owned. it's good gear. kinda sounds like a lot of folks (not everyone in the thread) without experience on these particular guns giving opinions. mine has NEVER malfunctioned on me. i bought it used in 2007 and have fired lots of cheap crap ammo through it with nary a malfunction, misfire,or stutter, the biggest problem i've had is some rusting around the stampings from carrying it in pretty deep concealment. i'd snatch it up if it was my decision to make.

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    I have a series 80 Officers Model. I bought it in the late Eighties. It was rough out of the box. I had the feed ramp polished and a trigger job it is now a great firearm. Granted, I should not have had to do that. Now, 30 years later, I will never sell it. I say buy it!

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have 2 officers frame 1911's. Both are just great guns and no reliability issues above any other piece I have ever owned.
    You have to hang onto the short barreled 1911's.
    Get the Colt. Worth far more than the plastic guns.

Johnny C

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    May 18, 2009
    Solsberry , In
    Years ago I had a colt officers model that stove-piped every other round.

New recoil spring and new mag springs and it shot great.

The shorter 1911s are also more sensitive to limp wristing than the full sized ones.

senork

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    NW Indiana
    I had a series 80 Colt Officer Model a few years ago. It was very accurate. After having the small tab on the recoil spring plug shear off and sending both the plug and the recoil spring downrange, I replaced the spring plug with a Clark drop-in. But, it repeatedly kept ejecting the brass into my forehead, once down behind my glasses, and that really smarted. So, be mindful, the little tab breaking off can cause some problems.

nucular

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 17, 2012
    Brownsburg
    I have a colt tactical officers lightweight - it did come from the factory with its share of feed issues but a ramp polishing and better mags cleared them up.

Top Bottom