• Colt Python vs S&W model 27

• Total voters

Fordtough25

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.1%
    110   1   0
    Apr 14, 2010
    Jefferson County
    I've wanted a Python for a good while now but you guys posts sort of confirms some of my thoughts about the Python. From my research on the net they seem to end up with issues, but man are they a good looking revolver!

charley59

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    In Carroll County
    I bought a 4" Model 28 NIB back in 1993 for $248. Last year they were made was 1986. Ugly mismatched standard grips, a spot of rust on the cylinder, gritty action, one plain homely looking gun. But I purchased a Hogue rubber grip immediately, and the gun cleaned up really well. Darn thing is accurate. Absolutely great SA/DA trigger pull. My favorite .357.

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    I have owned both.

I have owned a Python+several 27/28's.

I still have one 27-2 and two 28-2's

I do NOT think that I will ever wear out those Smith "N" Frames..Bill.

Bmrdude

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    I inherited a Python, that was made in the early '60's... 6" nickel plate. My father carried it as a service revolver when he was Chief of Police in Noblesville in the late '60's. Have hunted and taken two deer with it. I like it!

Indycar

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Birthplace of Steve McQueen
    I've had a Python and Mdl 27's and 28's. I've still got a 27 & aThe 28, so what's that tell ya?
    The vented full underlug barrel is what makes the Python unsual. The S&W 27 has a enclosed ejector rod and a checkered top strap that offered the choice of sights. The fit and finish between Colt and S&W's is a tossup. The balance of the gun is a personal taste. I also prefer the action of a S&W over a Colt and for sure the single action pull of a Smith

Sirshredalot

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Mar 15, 2011
    Muncie
    GYAR!...

Thats like asking what child do you love more...or what do you like better?... boobies or beer.

The python is iconic and cool and coveted and collectable...the smith is reliable, durable, beautiful, and affordable(more than the python).

I cant afford a python, but my friends that have them have "timing" issues and say theyre more finicky that the smiths.

+1 to the smith for saving me $1000 over the colt....paying for the "C" word.

BUT THEY LOOK SOOOOO COOL!

God bless
    -Shred

Last edited:

tgallmey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 11, 2011
    New Haven
    GYAR!...

Thats like asking what child do you love more...or what do you like better?... ******* or beer.

The python is iconic and cool and coveted and collectable...the smith is reliable, durable, beautiful, and affordable(more than the python).

I cant afford a python, but my friends that have them have "timing" issues and say theyre more finicky that the smiths.

+1 to the smith for saving me $1000 over the colt....paying for the "C" word.

BUT THEY LOOK SOOOOO COOL!

God bless
    -Shred
    This

kinda like women

My Python is beautiful, Classy, Iconic. With these great lines and sharp checkered grip. Ya shes finicky but your proud taking her with you for a good time (expensive fancy dinner was implied here).

My 28-2 is a slightly chubby yet great looking gal with her very attractive curves and pretty face. She too has great lines and a classier look but your not afraid of hurting her cause shes more robust than the Python. Cause of her weight advantage there is also less felt recoil. She is the kind who would be fine with having dinner eating coney dogs or a Tenderloin then going out with you in her own truck and mudding with you or going to the truck pulls. Shes also a bit more fun to shoot.

Either lady can make you happy so it really doesnt matter. I shoot my 28 more cause Im afraid of my python going out of time or wearing her out. I want my Python to last for ever. Plus my Python makes the palm of my hand raw after awhile cause of the sharp checkering. There guns not women though so theres nothing wrong with having both. By the way I think comparing a 686 to the Python would be much more fair cause they are more similar to each other than the 27 vs Python.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I did always like the full underlug barrel on the Python, but, back in the '80's when I was looking at Pythons and found some plastic parts (the plug at the end of the return spring for the cylinder latch) it just turned me off. When S&W came out with the 581, it was love at first sight. I still have the 581 and a 6-inch Mdl 28, which was the 2nd gun I ever bought, the first being a boat anchor S&W Mdl. 559. The L frames are my favorite all around service revolvers of all time.

(These two aren't mine, I'd have to dig them out, these are just for illustration.)
    291smithwessonmodel5814bbl.jpg

m28.jpg

Last edited:

dtkw

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2009
    Bloomington
    I had a nickel finish Python for a while. But I traded it for something I enjoy shooting more. The Python is a great gun. Too bad they don't make it anymore.

Top Bottom