• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ChalupaCabras

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    LaPorte / Kingsbury
    Never knew about these. Cool. Kinda looks like a cross between a 1911 and a 3rd gen S&W.

MO_0074.jpg

I remember seeing the CZ version in a gun shop years ago, for a very fair price. I intended to buy it, but it was sold before I got the money together.

When I do an image search, I see it looks like all of the Colts are DAO? (I'm assuming that from the lack of a safety lever) And I see images of the CZ version that looks to come in both DAO and DA/SA configurations?

I assumed they were all DA/SA with a thumb safety. IF they were made in DAO I will have to add that to the list of metal frame DAO pistol I must have before I croak.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    I remember seeing the CZ version in a gun shop years ago, for a very fair price. I intended to buy it, but it was sold before I got the money together.

When I do an image search, I see it looks like all of the Colts are DAO? (I'm assuming that from the lack of a safety lever) And I see images of the CZ version that looks to come in both DAO and DA/SA configurations?

I assumed they were all DA/SA with a thumb safety. IF they were made in DAO I will have to add that to the list of metal frame DAO pistol I must have before I croak.
    My cz was double-single. Upon further research, it looks like 75b mags do work. Wish I knew that while I owned it.

Last edited:

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello

Believe it or not the Z40 was Colt's response to the Glock. Glock was making major inroads into the U.S. LE market and Colt wanted a piece of the pie. Of course at this time Colt was teetering on the brink of insolvency so they couldn't invest in retooling for a non-traditional Colt model. So, they contracted with CZ to develop/design this gun. Colt's requirements were for a full size, alloy framed DAO that resembled, as much as possible, the traditional Colt 1911. Their belief was that the DAO without a safety would be close enough to the striker fired Glocks and that U.S. LE agencies would much prefer to have Colts over the Austrian brand. What they didn't take into consideration was that Glock was making really sweet deals with LE agencies to get them to switch (mostly from S&W). Glocks marketing folks knew that if they could get their guns into as many LE agencies as possible that the civilian market would soon follow. This turned out to be a brilliant strategy that they are still reaping benefits from. Colt, of course, isn't big on offering discounts on anything and couldn't really afford to after giving CZ its cut. The other problem is that a DAO isn't really competitive against a striker fired trigger. Also, the Colt roll mark didn't hold the same cache when people realized the guns were being produced by a, at that time, relatively unknown company in the Czech Republic. Shortly after this deal, Colt was forced to declare bankruptcy. That's why only 800+ guns were produced with the Colt roll mark. After that CZ was left with a lot of pieces and parts from this failed venture. So, CZ, in an effort to salvage what they could from this goat rope decided to change the guns to DA/SA, rebrand them as the CZ 40B and sell what they could. They absolutely did not want to produce any more of these frames so, when they ran out of frames they transitioned to the P01/P06 frame and changed the designation to the CZ 40P. This continued until the slides were all gone. Once that was over they simply transitioned to a standard compact slide and sold them as the P06. That, boys and girls, is the history of the Colt Z40, CZ 40B and CZ 40P.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Wow, BA, I wish the rep system weren't broken. That was a great post. It's been a while since I saw a really informative gun post.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Don't believe so, they were proprietary if I remember right.

I didn't buy any more mags for mine but there was a couple of CZ mags that would work in the CZ40. I got the info from one of the INGO CZick guys to a site that carries lots of mags for them. I think BA sent me the link for mags for it.

Top Bottom