• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dieselman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 31, 2009
    Bloomington
    Going to be moving in about 10 days. TV options in the new apartment are U-verse or Comcast. Which one should I pick? I grew up with Comcast, but have heard awful things about them recently, dont really know much about ATT.

9mmfan

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 26, 2011
    Mishawaka
    I use ATT DSL here. Uverse not offered where I live. I can count the times it has went out on one hand in the four years I've had it.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    We always had issues with Comcast...and have never had issues with Uverse. Comcast seemed to find excuses to raise our rates and dump our channels on a pretty regular basis, and I've not experienced that with Uverse--yet.

I guess if you can put up with the Comcast ***tards, and want to download a gig/day or some extreme amount, their internet might be better... but I've never noticed Uverse being what I would consider "slow" and we have the middle-of-the-road speed, whatever that is.:twocents:

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    We use Comcast for internet only and have had no issues with them over the years. They've always been pretty fast to answer the phones and always helped resolve any issues that we did have, (even if it required a tech visit). The speed is excellent and much better than DSL. They also have obscenely high "data caps". Something like 250GB. We've never come close to it and we stream and do all sorts of stuff. Can't speak to their cable offerings for TV. We use Dish for TV.

As for Bob's assertion that they're leaving, that would only happen if they were to be allowed to go through with their proposed merger and that's far from a done deal. Not too many people are happy about that particular deal.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    I've used both and will say in my experience, customer service is equally horrible. Both will leave you on hold for and hour+ at times. Both outsource tech-support calls to India. Neither have ever successfully resolved an issue in one visit.

As much as I hate them both, Comcast is faster and more reliable. I'm still fighting with AT&T over service I canceled nearly 2 years ago yet they continued to bill me for 6 months later. :n00b:

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    I had Comcast a couple of years ago. It was plenty fast but inconsistent. I work from home most days and the Comcast connection would drop one side of the communications randomly for a couple of seconds. It was long enough for my connection to work to drop and I'd have to log in over and over. Sometimes, I could not go 5 minutes before it would drop. A couple of neighbors had VOIP and they experienced the same thing with their phone calls. One side of the conversation would simply drop for a couple of seconds at a time.

I abandoned Comcast and went with U-Verse at the earliest opportunity and have never had a bad connection. It's not as fast as Comcast, but it works reliably. I think we're running around 18mbs right now and it's fast enough for work and to stream movies in HD. Every once in a while, Comcast sales people come around asking us to give them another shot and will swear that there is all new equipment handling this part of the network, yet I still hear complaints from other neighbors who still have the same issue I had years ago.

Comcast sucks. AT&T sucks too, but at least they can deliver their service as promised. We don't do any cable now and just use an antenna and Tivo for regular TV. I pay Greenwood Sanitation to remove crap from our house, so why would I pay a cable company to pump more of it back in? Oh, beware of AT&T if you try to do multiple services from them. Family members have nightmare stories about how AT&T screws with them by mixing account numbers up and applying payments to closed accounts.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Go with cable, its the fastest. Comast over U-verse.

Also, weather has no impact on cable, unless your line gets ripped down. I've had no issues at all with my cable. Lightning storms can really screw with satellite signals. I rented a house for work a few years back with satellite, seems like the satellite got knocked out almost once or twice a week due to storms, or sometimes even with no storms.

Nothing more irritating than settling down to watch your favorite sports event, especially during the playoffs, and lose reception. ARRRGGGHHH!!!!

Service pretty much sucks no matter who you have, so go with the best performance. My provider is Comast. I have interent, cable TV and phone, and the phone signal is compatible with my home alarm system.

loudpedal

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Sep 9, 2011
    Parc Fermé
    We kicked Comcast to the curb after they left about 400' of bright orange cable laying in our yard for about 4 months. We switched to U-Verse and I have been delighted with their service, and support.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    evolevo
    Top Bottom