• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rlspach

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 9, 2008
    I think school boards already have this ability in Indiana.

IC 35-47-9
    Chapter 9. Possession of Firearms on School Property and School Buses

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    At the same time states like CO and NY are going insane, it is good to see a counterbalance to the wave of hysteria. I'd much rather the full elimination of such "Gun Free Zones", but reverse progress is better--much better than progressivism that's killing the country for the last century.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    The could have put SB0097 through.

Slightly different (ok, significantly different), but I'm still miffed that one won't make it this session.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    It's already legal in Indiana with the superintendents permission and a LTCH. Not sure what else the legislature could do.
    They could make the school boards bring it to a public vote, like SD. I haven't met one SI who would put his job on the line by giving a person the OK. This needs to be implemented state wide, and let the school districts decide in a public discussion/debate.

sig-guy

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    How about a bill making it legal for anyone with a valid LTCH to legally carry in schools, on school grounds and to school activities that are off school property!

End the 'gun free zones' for all... not just teachers.

bft131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    As a pt teacher I am all for it...I am in class from basically 1030 till 3 when I'm not at the FH..our school resource officer and I have had a lot of good discussions as he is the ONLY one we have and he could be anywhere from 9 to 15 miles away from our HS if stuff would go down....

mrjarrell

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    They could make the school boards bring it to a public vote, like SD. I haven't met one SI who would put his job on the line by giving a person the OK. This needs to be implemented state wide, and let the school districts decide in a public discussion/debate.
    The last thing I want is for the public to get involved in the issue. That's a sure way to get guns banned from school grounds forever. The public at large is way too reactionary. The law is already in place to allow for armed teachers. It's just a matter of it being implemented by the powers that be. No public input, other than perhaps a few well written letters to your local superintendent are needed.

Last edited:

mlouisalbert

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 15, 2012
    Elkhart
    Like some of you have said this is already legal in Indiana. The only thing that needs to be done is to inform your local school board of this law and to "sell" them the idea that it will work and keep the school safe.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    Yes it is already legal....but what the SD law does is make it a public vote for the school board. Not all districts are going to vote for this, but there are some that will. The importance of the SD bill, in my opinion, is the fact that the board must vote in public session...not a closed one. I know it would make it easier for administrators to give the OK for carry to proper persons if they had the public support of the board. JMHO....that's where I think the Indiana law is lacking, unless I'm missing something...which may be the case.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    The last thing I want is for the public to get involved in the issue. That's a sure way to get guns banned from school grounds forever. The public at large is way to reactionary. The law is already in place to allow for armed teachers. It's just a matter of it being implemented by the powers that be. No public input, other than perhaps a few well written letters to your local superintendent are needed.
    I never said the public would vote on it...I said a public vote. Which means the school board would vote in an open session...not a closed one. Ultimately it'd be great if GFZ's didn't exist.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    The GA needs to take this out of the hands of the local school administrators. If the higher tier LTCH passes, make it such that if a holder of said LTCH is also a teacher, no action can be taken against them for CCW while on school grounds and on the clock.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    The GA needs to take this out of the hands of the local school administrators. If the higher tier LTCH passes, make it such that if a holder of said LTCH is also a teacher, no action can be taken against them for CCW while on school grounds and on the clock.
    I like that idea even better Cathy!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    Ummm, as others have said, we already have this for a couple of decades.

I'd like to see the pink card as an exemption to the ban on school property altogether.

But what would you have Indiana do, OP?:dunno:

If I may suggest:
    IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    Sec. 1. This chapter does not apply to the following:
    (1) A:
    (A) federal;
    (B) state; or
    (C) local;
    law enforcement officer.
    (2)[STRIKE] A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.​
    [/STRIKE]REPEALED.

(3)[strike] A person who:
    (A) may legally possess a firearm; and
    (B) possesses the firearm in a motor vehicle that is being operated by the person to transport another person to or from a school or a school function.[/strike] REPEALED.
    (4) Any person issued a license under this chapter.
    Preferable would be "Any person not incarcerated.", however we're being realistic here.

With respect, Cathy, why limit it to teachers and only when on the clock? Why not other school personnel or for that matter, parents or family members of students?

Better, I think, to change the law to end the prohibition on good people carrying and simply say that if a crime of violence is committed on school property, the surviving perpetrator will receive a sentence enhancement for so doing.

This mandates that the perp survive his crime and that he be convicted by a jury of peers; Someone showing up and being taken alive after attempting to take hostages might be shown little leniency, and I think that appropriate. A father showing up at school to address the problem of a molesting teacher might just pass muster, even if he was armed, but chose instead to handle the situation with (at most) his fists.

I'm thinking along these lines:
    2hsc4g0.png

Blessings,
    Bill

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    If I may suggest:
    Preferable would be "Any person not incarcerated.", however we're being realistic here.

With respect, Cathy, why limit it to teachers and only when on the clock? Why not other school personnel or for that matter, parents or family members of students?

Better, I think, to change the law to end the prohibition on good people carrying and simply say that if a crime of violence is committed on school property, the surviving perpetrator will receive a sentence enhancement for so doing.

Bill
    Bill,
    I think Cathy meant that the administration couldn't take action on the teacher for carrying. They do have the ability to make you very uncomfortable in your job if you go against the grain.

Top Bottom