• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • PowderMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2013
    Mishawaka
    So I'm at wits end trying to figure out what kind of holster to order. I've probably spent the past 2 weeks scouring the ends of the internet to find the best holster for my needs. I was planning on purchasing a OWB kydex holster but I started thinking about it and where I would be carrying I would need something with more concealment then just a t shirt covering it up which means I need an iwb holster. I think. Now theyre are SOOO many options out there its not funny. So my question is, is an all kydex holster that much more uncomfortable then a hybrid. I like the idea of an all kydex because the ease of getting it on and off. I can carry at work but what I do will no way allow me to be able to keep the gun holstered on my body (i do powder coating. So a metal gun+powdercoating would equal me having to throughly clean my gun every night.) So the ease of just being able to unclip and reattach the holster to my belt would be fantastic but I don't want to be spending my hard earned money on something that's going to be a pain in my side. So basically is an all kydex holster uncomfortable/comfortable and whats the difference between it and a hybrid

Sheepdog Gear

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 2, 2014
    Jasper County
    All kydex IWB is pretty darn uncomfortable. I'll give you the best advice I possibly can. Get the Crossbreed Supertuck Deluxe and don't look back. I promise you won't be disappointed. It has all the features you're looking for in a holster and more. It's the best of both worlds.

Slow Hand

Master
    Rating - 99.3%
    146   1   0
    Aug 27, 2008
    West Side
    I wear a kydex IWB I made for my Glock 19 with a TLR-3 and it's very comfortable. I've worn it while doing all kinds of activities and have not had an issue. I know the hybrid style is popular, but I don't see how having that huge chunk of leather against your skin is comfortable. I would think you'd sweat like crazy with it and then the leather wil absorb the sweat, and that sweat will be on your gun. Call me crazy, but I prefer to have minimal contact and bulk when carrying IWB. Kydex doesn't absorb sweat, holds its shape when the pistol is drawn and a high rise back will protect your gun from your skin and vice versa.

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    PowderMan, I've spent lots of time wearing holsters of both types-- hybrids, and OWB styles carried IWB. Comfort level depends on your build, clothing, and what gun you're carrying. Guys who want to carry a full size pistol and don't like to wear undershirts and have some extra around the middle... will usually find an all-kydex OWB holster to be uncomfortable when worn IWB. The only time I've ever found OWB/IWB carry to be uncomfortable was when I was packing a G17 w/ X300 Ultra all day. By the end of the night, my hip would be tender where the light bezel hit it.

There are tradeoffs to the Crossbreed/MTAC hybrid style that uses a single sided kydex shell against a leather backer. Retention is one--you don't get the same consistency of retention as you would in an OWB/IWB holster. Also, reholstering requires more care, especially after you've had the holster for awhile and the leather backer has softened up. The mouth of the holster won't collapse, but the leather will deflect inwards once the gun is drawn.

One other option to consider-- Appendix Carry. It doesn't require a hybrid, it's very concealable, and easy to get on and off.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    With a good holster I have no comfort issues with kydex. I carry a G19 w/RMR or a G17 daily all day AIWB. I won't say I don't notice it is there, but I have no comfort issues running, fighting, driving, you name it. Sometimes I even lay down and fall asleep with it on and have no problems. Yes, the Hybrid holsters are comfortable but I don't care for them, mainly for the reasons amhenry mentions. I do always wear an undershirt of one type or another.

rbMPSH12

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 29, 2012
    I've found that kydex IWB is usually uncomfortable at first, but gets better as you get used to it. I used to carry my Shield at 4oclock in an IWB kydex holster made by amhenry, who posted above me. It was uncomfortable at first, but was fine after I got used to it. Then I switched to carrying appendix like he suggested to you and I prefer that. That, too, was uncomfortable at first, but now is fine. Since I haven't worn the IWB at 4oclock in a long time, it's very uncomfortable now when I do. But I'm sure if I did it for a few weeks it would be much better. That said, I do prefer the Henry Holsters hybrid that I have for my M&P9 full size, which has kydex on both sides with a leather backer against the body. It's more comfortable than just kydex.

PowderMan

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2013
    Mishawaka
    I'll be carrying my FS m&p9 and I have the tactical advantage of being in decent shape and I have a 30" waist. so I don't have any sort of extra cushioning on my body. I like the idea of a hybrid with the leather backing cause it just sounds like it would be more comfortable. but at the same time I need something that is super easy to clip on and off. ugh. I'll probably just end up ordering an hybrid and an IWB and hope the wifey doesn't find out haha

GIJEW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    I'm currently using a BladeTech IWB to carry my 'officer's model' 1911 (it's a govt mod size, so I can carry either one). As far as comfort goes, I find it's just as comfortable as any leather holster I've had, it's faster to draw from, AND it won't absorb sweat that I have to clean off my pistol! btw does anyone want a nice 'Ayoob-rear-guard' by Mitch Rosen? :-D

BJones

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Aug 26, 2009
    Noblesville/Westfld
    I have used a crossbreed supertuck with a Glock 26 everyday for years. It is very comfortable and easy to re-holster. The comments that have been made on body type are accurate. If a person is thick in the middle the comfort level will vary. The longer I use my crossbreed the better it gets. I have also heard good reports on the MTAC, but I have no experience with the Comp TAC holsters.

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    It would be ideal if you could try on a few different holsters. If you have friends who carry, ask to test drive. I never would have imagined an IWB Kydex holster could be comfortable for anyone but when a friend let me try his on, I found it was extremely comfortable for me. I wear a Low Rider from Kee at http://www.rmholsters.com/, IWB at 4:00, with no comfort issues. If you're still looking for a maker I highly recommend Kee. He worked with me individually via e-mail to customize his original design to fit my desires.

Top Bottom