• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For those playing at home, rice futures are down in the US. The 52 week high was $19.92. It's currently at $15.65 and trending down.

Not pricing that indicates the people who do this for a living see any impending shortage or price hikes.

Remington 90T

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2023
    Brodhead Wisconsin
    20 billion pounds

Industry Facts
    • The U.S. rice industry produces 20 billion pounds of rice annually.
    • There are 5,563 rice farmers throughout the country that grow rice across a collective 2.8 million acres.
    • Most of the farming is done by family farms across six major rice-producing states of Arkansas, California, Louisiana, Mississippi, Missouri, and Texas.
    • On average, each rice farm contributes $1 million to their local economy.
    Thats the reason I read the labels -- I support U.S. Farmers --

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I noticed two different Qudoba restaurants were out of brown rice this week. I'm not sure if this is related to the 'crisis'.
    Not unusual. Usually its fajita veggies, in my experience. Its just **** poor management.

Ive lost track of how many times I've been told "Sorry, we are out of veggies".

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Not unusual. Usually its fajita veggies, in my experience. Its just **** poor management.

Ive lost track of how many times I've been told "Sorry, we are out of veggies".

I honestly think this is usually just shorthand for "we don't want to prep anything else for the rest of the day, everything's clean and we're leaving on time."

On a recent trip, we stopped at a chain restaurant with 45 minutes to close and the guy didn't even say hello or how can I help you before rattling off all the things they were "out of". We just walked out and Googled up a local place instead.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I honestly think this is usually just shorthand for "we don't want to prep anything else for the rest of the day, everything's clean and we're leaving on time."

On a recent trip, we stopped at a chain restaurant with 45 minutes to close and the guy didn't even say hello or how can I help you before rattling off all the things they were "out of". We just walked out and Googled up a local place instead.
    Sometimes. Both times for me it was during dinner hour. And the last time I said "Its OK, I have an errand to run across the street. How long will it take? 20 mins?" "Sorry, we are literally out. Wont have any until Friday." (It was Monday :facepalm: )

I did what you did and just moved on.

Yeah, I know, first world and all. Not complaining, just observing. The replacement meal was probably better.

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    Decades ago, when I was young and poor, rice was a staple in my diet because it was cheap.
    I've never forgotten the lesson that cheap, bland food, is better than no food, so I never run out of rice.

When my house burned two years ago I lost most everything.
    Pretty much starting all over.
    One of my first purchases after the fire was a 50lb bag of rice.
    It's still unopened, but it's there, if I get hungry...

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    One of my earliest long-term food storage projects includes three 5-gallon plastic buckets of rice with mylar bags and O2 absorbers that I put up in 2012. If the price goes way up, I could pull those out, re-package in smaller bags for street sale, and rake in the cash.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For those playing at home, rice futures are down in the US. The 52 week high was $19.92. It's currently at $15.65 and trending down.

Not pricing that indicates the people who do this for a living see any impending shortage or price hikes.

3 months in, prices still stable at around $16. Another crisis that didn't.

Seems like all major grain/bean commodities are down. I've no idea why. Wheat, for example, is back to early COVID numbers. Maybe inflation starting to ease on the bottom of the supply chain?

KomboJoe

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 28, 2013
    Paragon
    3 months in, prices still stable at around $16. Another crisis that didn't.

Seems like all major grain/bean commodities are down. I've no idea why. Wheat, for example, is back to early COVID numbers. Maybe inflation starting to ease on the bottom of the supply chain?
    We are a net exporter of rice. That is likely why nothing changed. As far as other commodities we won't see prices change much from the cost on the market. It really comes down more to the cost of transporting to a local store. We should see another rise since oil is going back up. Although, I don't think it will be that bad of a jump.

Top Bottom