Competition shooting instruction in indianapolis area?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Since I got my first rifle (Ruger 10/22, since joined by a Mosin Nagant 91/30), I've been very interested in becoming a better shot with it and with firearms in general. One of the things I have found myself thinking about is competition and seeing how far I can go in that route. Mind you, I seriously doubt that I'll ever really approach the top levels of competition but if Geena Davis can get as far as she did as a latecomer to archery, you never know.

One thing that was suggested to me in another forum is that if I'm thinking about competition, particularly if I'm thinking of even the possibility of competition at a high level down the road, then proper instruction/coaching from the beginning is very important. The specific example was that fine points of position and so forth are not something you can figure out on your own.

So, how does someone go about finding an instructor/coach in whatever it is that I have to do to avoid developing bad habits and to see just how far I can take this shooting thing?

Last edited:

BloodEclipse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    In the trenches for liberty!
    I would recommend you try an Appleseed. There is one coming up in June in Wabash. I went to the one in April in Freedom, In and learned that I didn't know much before. Good instructors and a safe setting. You will learn how to be a better shot with a rifle and the 10/22 is great to learn on.

Check out the schedule and the rest of the website to get an idea of what to bring. Any questions I can help you with I will.

Current Appleseed Schedule

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    Appleseed is an outstanding way to learn the basics of rifle marksmanship and the ways of a service rifle. I couldn't agree more with BloodEclipse on the value of the Appleseed program.

You say competition though. Do you have a discipline in mind that you would like to pursue? Its a big shooting world out there. Smallbore, (position and prone) highpower, long range, etc. Are you a member of the Indiana State Rifle and Pistol Association? WWW.ISRPA.ORG Lots of help available there. Also WWW.ODCMP.ORG Lots of good info there by USAMU shooters.

My home club, WWW.FWRR.ORG hosted a highpower clinic last Saturday. We had 24 new shooters learning the basics and we all had a great time. Other clubs have clinics also and experienced shooters are always willing to help the new guy with coaching or even loaning equipment at matches.

Good luck

Barry in IN

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 31, 2008
    I took an Appleseed last month. If you are interested in Highpower or Smallbore, an Appleseed would give you everything you need to know to get a really good start.

Early in in the season (approx March to May) some of the clubs that shoot Highpower matches hold clinics. I know Wildcat is having a multi-stage clinic now. Wildcat Valley Rifle and Pistol Club
    Central Indiana Highpower Shooters might also, but I haven't shot HP in a while so don't know what they do now.
    These clinics are usually inexpensive at 15-20 bucks for a one-day clinic, and are really geared toward getting people started/interested in competition.
    Generally speaking, most Highpower skills transfer over to Smallbore and vice versa. So if you want to shoot Smallbore but can only find a Highpower clinic, you would probably still benefit.

If you are interested in rifle/carbine competition that's more speed- or tactical-oriented like 3-gun, most usually just go to a match and learn on the run. But a good carbine class like an off-site Gunsite class or Pat Rogers class (either one held at the Boone Co Sheriff's Dept) would do wonders for that purpose, plus provide more practical defensive shooting instruction.

Top Bottom