• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • strokin7.3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 23, 2012
    Hancock County
    http://www.usconcealedcarry.com/ I'm lazy tonight and didnt really look at the page you posted so you'll have to compare them yourself. USCCA does do many drawings throughout the year where you can win guns (or the founders svt raptor) which I think is pretty cool. plus you get a magazine subscription to concealed carry magazine, and free online training. They also offer a lifetime subscription to the coverage which I'm going to look into when it comes time to renew. The coverage seems to be pretty good but I've never had to deal with anything that relates to it so I honestly do not know how much the lawyer and stuff would cost. But they do pay for lost wages that you may incur while being tied up in court/jail or any of the other BS that goes along with it, which I would think would be very handy. Check it out, and compare, It's always nice to have multiple options. I heard about USCCA through Armed American Radio and didn't do any shopping around so USCCA may not be the best option available. I do know that it is definitely better than nothing!

Last edited:

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    I have CCW Safe and Second Call Defense. Both companies are focused on protecting gun owners, the link in the OP looks like a normal insurance company that just tacked on carry insurance as a secondary business. CCW Safe is only for permit holders (for me) and Second Call protects anyone in a self defense shooting (wife doesn't have her permit yet).

All these companies are so new that I'll probably keep both of them since there might be gaps in coverage that the other picks up. They are cheap enough that it's worth the peace of mind to me.

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Wouldn't coverage E - Personal Liability from your renter's or homeowners insurance cover this already - unlimited defense costs included? You could also add a personal umbrella liability policy with a limit of $1,000,000 (including unlimited legal defense coverage) for less than one of these specialty policies.

Smells like a rip-off to me.

romad7

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 17, 2013
    Dayton, OH
    Wouldn't coverage E - Personal Liability from your renter's or homeowners insurance cover this already - unlimited defense costs included? You could also add a personal umbrella liability policy with a limit of $1,000,000 (including unlimited legal defense coverage) for less than one of these specialty policies.

Smells like a rip-off to me.

I called my insurance company and the liability protection that our homeowners and umbrella policies provide only cover civil lawsuits and not criminal cases. They used the example of the OJ Simpson trial, the criminal case would not have been covered but the following civil suit from the family would have been covered.

I used the Zimmerman example and she said that neither homeowners or umbrella insurance would have helped him at all. Now if the family sued him then they probably would have help then.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Something to keep in mind with a homeowner's liability limit: it only covers negligence. If you intentionally shoot someone, that is not negligence.

HuntingBear

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2013
    Greenwood
    If you ever have to use a firearm for defense, the firearm will make a sound you might never have heard before. The loud sound is not a bang but the firearm shouting LAWYER. I have always had insurance through my work but I also carry a personal liability policy for such an occurrence. Be careful as there are many scams out on the market for such insurance. The USCCA and NRA are both pretty good. I haven't looked at CCW Safe or Second Call Defense but I have heard of the companies. Read all the material (in print format not just on the internet) before you make any commitment. You don't want to spend a lot of dollars on a policy that will do nothing for you when you need it most. This is serious stuff & I am glad to see others are thinking of the "what if" situation. Bravo Zulu

kml

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 17, 2013
    United States
    I was told to get specific insurance and not to count on your homeowners insurance. As was mentioned above, homeowners policies have many exclusions and the insurance company's priority is protecting the POLICY from claims, not you personally. In many policies, you being found guilty of a crime removes their liability so their goals may not be the same as yours. It can be in their financial best interest for you to go to jail. Not very comforting!

Kart29

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 10, 2011
    Something to keep in mind with a homeowner's liability limit: it only covers negligence. If you intentionally shoot someone, that is not negligence.

the fact that it would apply only to civil actions and not cover defense against criminal charges is a very valid and worthwhile point.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom