• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Wow that's taking it super far! I'd be more than a "little upset" if I were that guy!

singlemalt

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2015
    Frankfort

From the article:
    “The way you have described it to me is that the officer by seeing the card, he would have the right to ask if there’s a weapon in the car,” Hudak said. “The other side of the coin is, if he leaves him in the car with a gun, is that ultimately optimum safety for the police officer? I believe the officer-survival skill is that he asks for the gun. The card is reasonable suspicion that a person inside the car may be armed, at which point the officer stays alive by the way he handled it. Based on the way you presented it to me, based on the officer seeing it in the wallet. It’s not a bad search.”

Now I have to ask in just how many instances has a licensed person drawn a weapon on a LEO? Seems to me the people who go to the trouble to get a Larry in the first place are some of the most peaceable, law abiding folks you are ever likely to meet.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    This police chief needs to lose his badge:
    Coral Gables Police Chief Edward J. Hudak, Jr. said his officer did nothing wrong.

“He saw the concealed firearms license, which led him to a heightened sense to know the driver was armed,” Hudak said. “Could there have been a more polite way to handle it? I would be more than happy to refer this to IA, and they would do an investigation from top to bottom before it comes to my level.”

The police chief said his officer was well within his rights and department policy.

“The way you have described it to me is that the officer by seeing the card, he would have the right to ask if there’s a weapon in the car,” Hudak said. “The other side of the coin is, if he leaves him in the car with a gun, is that ultimately optimum safety for the police officer? I believe the officer-survival skill is that he asks for the gun. The card is reasonable suspicion that a person inside the car may be armed, at which point the officer stays alive by the way he handled it. Based on the way you presented it to me, based on the officer seeing it in the wallet. It’s not a bad search.”

"Officer safety" canard. A concealed carry permit is prima facie evidence of being law-abiding, and non-dangerous. Illegal search. Illegal seizure.

If the police chief doesn't understand the fourth amendment protections he's sworn to uphold, he should be voted out of office.

Oh, wait a minute...

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Sadly the people who voted him INTO office probably don't even know what the Fourth Amendment is either, or think that it's whatever the Supreme Court says it is. Officer safety seems to overide the Bill of Rights these days.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    Whoops. I know a licensed concealed handgun carrier in Coral Gables. Dast I check the link?

OK not him. Whew.

As to the incident: disarming for officer safety simply because he saw the CC license is pretty shaky, but disassembling the gun and unloading the magazines into the trunk is just plain contempt of citizen.

Light

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 9, 2012
    Near Fort Wayne
    Although disarming is "understandable", although unnecessary, the rest of what the officer did is completely uncalled for.
    As long as the weapon was in the officers possession, there was absolutely no reason to do anything else to the weapon.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Although disarming is "understandable", although unnecessary, the rest of what the officer did is completely uncalled for.
    As long as the weapon was in the officers possession, there was absolutely no reason to do anything else to the weapon.

I fail to see how disarming was even "understandable". What reasonable suspicion did the officer have that the driver was dangerous?

Kutnupe14

Troll Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 13, 2011
    This is one the reason why I'm not so anti-permits. If constitutional carry was adopted nationwide, I think one would have a very difficult time justifying why an officer shouldn't disarm them during contact.

OutdoorDad

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 19, 2015
    Indianapolis
    When in Florida, I disarm police upon contact (for my safety).
    Statistcally, far more people in their line of work have shot innocent people than casual travelers through their state.

I think it's just prudent.

Top Bottom