• Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I am considering getting a badge since I only Open Carry and have done so for years. I used to be a Fugitive Recovery Agent years ago and I had a badge next to my Glock. A friend of mine, who is a Police Officer, gave me a Fobus holster and is giving me his Duty belt so that I can carry more mags. I don't pretend to be a LEO and I used to turn down free soft drinks etc. when offered. As soon as I can comfortably wear a light jacket, I do. So far no one has said anything to me including Indianapolis City Police and State Troopers. I want to make sure people are comfortable when they see my weapon and that the Police don't shoot me if I have to defend myself or help an LEO who is in trouble. Thoughts? I am still in the thinking stage. I will ask my Pastor tomorrow, who is a City Detective, what he thinks.

why? Why do you need to project to someone that you are carrying a firearm lawfully? (hint: You don't.) Everything you need is in your wallet... the pink permission slip. Screw anyone who sees your gun and is concerned. Trust me, as someone who was once accosted for OCing its not worth it. Buy a concealed carry holster and be done with it. They arent THAT expensive. Only a couple boxes of defensive ammo. And you dont even need to hide the gun under a shirt. Most people are clueless and dont notice a IWB pistol against your body. Hell, I had a 10yo ask me what my Glock was. Since he couldnt see anything but the grip and the back 30% of the slide, he couldnt get a mental picture of a firearm.

Why wait for someone to gift gear to you that is unnecessary for EDC? All you need* is a concealment holster. Full stop. A duty holster, plus duty belt, plus mag pouches. plus a badge (regardless of the text) is a baaaaaaad idea IMHO. To me that screams "I want to look to an ignorant civilian that I'm LEO." After all, who else carries a duty belt with a badge? (honest question)

Take what others have posted as well. The path you are on is wrought with pitfalls. It could cost you your pink permission slip (or at least thousands of $$ for an attorney to dig you out of the legal hole you dug if you are lucky). Given the professional history you mentioned, I cant help but speculate as to whether you miss your days as a FRA and want to relive that era? No offense intended, just the vibe I'm feeling. And that is EXACTLY the vibe a juror would get if you got dragged into court for impersonating a LEO.

Rather than a badge, how about a sash instead? It screams "I'm a good guy" but doesnt try to look like a cop.
    ccwbanner.jpg

And if I may be so bold, please take some training classes. Your questions remind me of people who lack critical info on the laws of carrying a firearm in Indiana. Not "how to shoot better" classes, but classes on concealed carry, defensive use of a firearm, Indiana gun laws, etc.

OH, and welcome to INGO.

*And you dont necessarily need extra mags. The average defensive encounter is 3x3x3... 3 rounds, within 3 feet, in under 3 seconds. Notice a reload doesnt factor ANYWHERE into that most likely scenario.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    why? Why do you need to project to someone that you are carrying a firearm lawfully? (hint: You don't.) Everything you need is in your wallet... the pink permission slip. Screw anyone who sees your gun and is concerned. Trust me, as someone who was once accosted for OCing its not worth it. Buy a concealed carry holster and be done with it. They arent THAT expensive. Only a couple boxes of defensive ammo. And you dont even need to hide the gun under a shirt. Most people are clueless and dont notice a IWB pistol against your body. Hell, I had a 10yo ask me what my Glock was. Since he couldnt see anything but the grip and the back 30% of the slide, he couldnt get a mental picture of a firearm.

Why wait for someone to gift gear to you that is unnecessary for EDC? All you need* is a concealment holster. Full stop. A duty holster, plus duty belt, plus mag pouches. plus a badge (regardless of the text) is a baaaaaaad idea IMHO. To me that screams "I want to look to an ignorant civilian that I'm LEO." After all, who else carries a duty belt with a badge? (honest question)

Take what others have posted as well. The path you are on is wrought with pitfalls. It could cost you your pink permission slip (or at least thousands of $$ for an attorney to dig you out of the legal hole you dug if you are lucky). Given the professional history you mentioned, I cant help but speculate as to whether you miss your days as a FRA and want to relive that era? No offense intended, just the vibe I'm feeling. And that is EXACTLY the vibe a juror would get if you got dragged into court for impersonating a LEO.

Rather than a badge, how about a sash instead? It screams "I'm a good guy" but doesnt try to look like a cop.
    ccwbanner.jpg

And if I may be so bold, please take some training classes. Your questions remind me of people who lack critical info on the laws of carrying a firearm in Indiana. Not "how to shoot better" classes, but classes on concealed carry, defensive use of a firearm, Indiana gun laws, etc.

OH, and welcome to INGO.

*And you dont necessarily need extra mags. The average defensive encounter is 3x3x3... 3 rounds, within 3 feet, in under 3 seconds. Notice a reload doesnt factor ANYWHERE into that most likely scenario.

^^^^^THIS^^^^^

The whole Carry badge and OC screams nothing but "HEY. LOOK AT ME. I HAVE A GUN".

Fixer

Expert
    Rating - 96.4%
    26   1   1
    Nov 22, 2009
    Fort Wayne Area
    What you need to do is not worry about carrying a deadly weapon and just make your body into one. Look there on the you tube for some Diamond Dave school of ninja training videos. In a few short training episodes you to can be slanging some lethal Judy Chops. Just remember do not go ninjaing no bodies that do not need ninjaing.

Does it count that I have seen every Chuck Norris movie!!

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    153   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    WHO IS IT!? WHO DID THIS!? Got to be a long time posters fake account... I wish I had thought to bring this one back to the spot light.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    I'm not gonna go the make fun of route of the poster. Not sure if they are a vet given the SN or not. It will just suffice to say that the overwhelming consensus in this thread from the get go is that carrying and displaying a CCW badge is not a good idea.

(h/t Denny.)

Yup!

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    If you watch the video posted earlier with the guy actually pretending to be LEO you will pick up a very important line of questioning.

COP: Why do you have the Badge?
    Man with Badge: So I don't get shot?

COP - you mean you want people to think you're a cop so they dont shoot you?

I've paraphrased it, but the point is valid.

If you think the badge prevents you from getting shot, then your logic that has to follow is that they won't shoot you because they initially assume your LEO. That's gonna be a hard line to defend in court. Just like the dude stumbled on in the video.

JCSR

NO STAGE PLAN
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2017
    Santa Claus
    You guys are just messing with the new people. Everybody here gets their badge shortly after reaching 500 posts.
    Churchmouse will PM you for mailing info. I gotta say I love mine.:rockwoot:

ccw.jpg

Top Bottom