• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    I carry a 5" 1911 in a Milt Sparks (Summer Special II) in a a suit.

Holster AND belt. Some guys always want to be cheap bastards and not get a proper belt. Get a proper belt.

Ensure that your tailor knows you are carrying and how.

dmbowditch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013

Holster AND belt. Some guys always want to be cheap bastards and not get a proper belt. Get a proper belt.

Good call Kirk Freeman, never crossed my mind when buying new digs, or having things fitted at tailor. I need to look into a good tuckable holster.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Have a variety of holsters, depending on the firearm carried, all OWB. Carrying IWB just isn't my 'thing'.

Absolutely agree with Kirk, a good belt is a must. And with the vast array of choices today, it's easy to buy a good belt that's as 'dressy' as anything from the suit shop.

Just my personal experience and preference, but for 'suit or tuxedo' carry, I tend to go with leather holsters (for OWB, as noted), rather than 'hardshell' (Kydex, etc.) types. Leather holsters seem to lie a bit flatter and closer to the body. For me, YMMV.

Just FYI, my coats (suit, sport, tux) are one size larger to accommodate carrying OWB. And I buy 'Classic' or 'Standard' fitting coats rather than 'Slim', 'Fitted', or 'Modern' designs, which drape tighter to the body. This helps preclude printing while moving. It should be noted that I also tend to carry at least 1 extra mag or 2 extra speedloaders, as well as a cell phone case on the opposite side of the body. This sort of 'balances' the look, and I just look a bit 'heavier' than my actual body type. Since I guess I would fit into the 'slender' category (5'11" 155# - 160#), this isn't much of an issue.

The size of the gun hasn't really seemed to matter, as I've carry everything from a smaller than a full-size 1911 to larger than a full-size 1911.

It's not so much 'what' you carry as 'how' you carry it, and 'carry' yourself while wearing it.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    I carry a G19 in a Supertuck under my sportcoat, and if I am concerned I move it a little closer to my 6 than normal. You dont see it. If I'm REALLY concerned, I switch to my G43 in the same type holster/location and possibly use the tuckable feature in case I expect to have to remove my coat.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000

All good points.

Depending on how much you carry in dress clothes I'd be careful about which IWB holster you want to go with. I quit carrying IWB unless absolutely necessary when my Crossbreed supertuck wore a hole right above my rear jeans pocket! That can get pricey real fast. The exposed portion of the gun rubbed against chairs and whatever else I was sitting/leaning on and wore through. I even noticed it rubbing on my dress pants and I only wear them a few hours a week!

Ever since then I've been almost strictly OWB even when I carry concealed. For dress clothes a leather pancake holster brings it in nice and tight and doesn't show through much even if you haven't specifically tailored for it (yet).

OWB pancake with a quality belt and proper tailoring and you'll barely notice it and no one else will know unless you want them to.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I'd start here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories-gear/229983-review-gun-belt-comparison.html

A gun belt makes everything easier. Once you've got the foundation of the belt you can decide what type of holster you want. This is akin to asking "what car should I buy" as every holster has trade offs in terms of comfort, concealment, speed, retention, looks, longevity, price, etc. I'm finding Bladetech to make a nice jack-of-all-trades holster at a fair price.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    Never liked hip carry.. Even with expensive belts/holsters. Its a pita to me... Ankle is much more tolerable .. Just gotten use to it.

rosefarm10

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 4, 2015
    Milford
    I assume you are not wearing the jacket at all times. My preference in that situation is a Smith and Wesson PD40 with the pocket sleeve. Very light and doesn't yank your pants off!

oldpink

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2009
    Farmland
    If you're wearing the suit coat at all times and seeing to it that you don't allow it to open up past your hip, the world is your oyster, far easier than if wearing more casual attire.
    As Kirk points out, get a quality holster and belt; no Uncle Mike's or the like.

Ryno300

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 5, 2009
    Fly over country
    I wear a suit or sport coat every day, but I rarely have my jacket on all day. Ankle carry is not the most comfortable or accessible IMO but that's my go to in dress clothes.

Nam1911

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 8, 2015
    Evansville
    I say go with a tuckable iwb holster. I just went to a wedding last night. Dress pants and a fitted shirt tucked in. My 1911 commander at 5 clock. I am 5'6" 130lb. I wear nothing baggy. No one noticed besides a few friends who felt the gun during hugs. All that was said was "right on" and " I had no idea". I even danced all night as well as got drunk.

It's not that hard to conceal

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 11, 2012
    01001111 01001000
    I say go with a tuckable iwb holster. I just went to a wedding last night. Dress pants and a fitted shirt tucked in. My 1911 commander at 5 clock. I am 5'6" 130lb. I wear nothing baggy. No one noticed besides a few friends who felt the gun during hugs. All that was said was "right on" and " I had no idea". I even danced all night as well as got drunk.

It's not that hard to conceal

I'm not going to tell you when and how to carry but you may want to consider the ramifications of actually using your gun while drunk. Get drunk, have a good time (if that's your thing), but please give serious thought about not carrying whilst doing so.

Personally, if I drink whilst carrying, it's no more than one and even that one gets nursed.

To the OP:
    What holsters do you currently own? Wearing a suit gives you a wide range of options because of the jacket generally being fairly thick and the multiple layers available to cover an IWB handgun. I've already given my opinion on what I do when I wear a suit but I'm curious as to what you already have.

Last edited:

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    I use an alien gear for my ppq, and tuck my dress shirt over it. I had someone ask what the clips were one time. If people know, they don't say anything. If I have a jacket on, I don't bother with tucking. One thing I like about the alien gear, is that the clips are so far apart, they make belt choice a little less critical, IMO. If I wear a jacket with a more slender cut, I'll move the holster around to 5:00, and you can't tell at all. I carry every Sunday. As the Pastor, I figure a good shepherd has to be prepared for the occasional wolf. Haven't had any come around, thank goodness.

dmbowditch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    Thanks for the direction on the Belt Review BehindBluei's....much appreciated

I'd start here: https://www.indianagunowners.com/forums/accessories-gear/229983-review-gun-belt-comparison.html

A gun belt makes everything easier. Once you've got the foundation of the belt you can decide what type of holster you want. This is akin to asking "what car should I buy" as every holster has trade offs in terms of comfort, concealment, speed, retention, looks, longevity, price, etc. I'm finding Bladetech to make a nice jack-of-all-trades holster at a fair price.

dmbowditch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    Rosefarm10, if i am in front of a customer, my shirt sleeves are covered (meaning i have a sport coat, or dress sweater over a shirt and tie). I want to be very concealable as i am relatively new to carrying (not 100% of the time just yet, but been carrying for approximately 6 months).

I assume you are not wearing the jacket at all times. My preference in that situation is a Smith and Wesson PD40 with the pocket sleeve. Very light and doesn't yank your pants off!

dmbowditch

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2013
    Maximinus Thrax, The only holsters i currently have are Fobus paddle holsters, as i carry often in the deer woods, or just when out and about in the field (shed hunting, mushroom hunting, etc., easily concealed under a hooded sweat shirt or similar large shirt).

I have a Ruger LC9 and also a Ruger LCP of which they are both outfit with a "Techno-Clip". Both are easily concealed, but sometimes in the summer, or warmer weather i worry about condensation or sweat.

I haven't taken the plunge as i was obviously looking for info on investing more money in a good holster. Thus the post.

I'm not going to tell you when and how to carry but you may want to consider the ramifications of actually using your gun while drunk. Get drunk, have a good time (if that's your thing), but please give serious thought about not carrying whilst doing so.

Personally, if I drink whilst carrying, it's no more than one and even that one gets nursed.

To the OP:
    What holsters do you currently own? Wearing a suit gives you a wide range of options because of the jacket generally being fairly thick and the multiple layers available to cover an IWB handgun. I've already given my opinion on what I do when I wear a suit but I'm curious as to what you already have.

Top Bottom