• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Im planning a hiking trip through the smokies with a friend. I have been trying to figure out all the little details so I dont end up in jail.

Tennessee and North Carolina are both ok with an Indiana LTCH. However, I have read carrying into the buildings in the park is in some sort of grey area.

Also, as per http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf and http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

Both states are must inform officer and no handgun signs carry the weight of law. Both states are also much more restrictive than Indiana in where you cannot legally carry.

Any other hot spots and grey areas I need to know about?

I think this is ridiculous. Its like they try to make the laws so convoluted that regular joe doesnt have a chance to be in compliance.

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Im planning a hiking trip through the smokies with a friend. I have been trying to figure out all the little details so I dont end up in jail.

Tennessee and North Carolina are both ok with an Indiana LTCH. However, I have read carrying into the buildings in the park is in some sort of grey area.

Also, as per http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/tennessee.pdf and http://www.handgunlaw.us/states/northcarolina.pdf

Both states are must inform officer and no handgun signs carry the weight of law. Both states are also much more restrictive than Indiana in where you cannot legally carry.

Any other hot spots and grey areas I need to know about?

I think this is ridiculous. Its like they try to make the laws so convoluted that regular joe doesnt have a chance to be in compliance.

It isn't a grey area:
    You can not carry into any federally owned buildings in National Parks/National Wildlife Refuges as other federal laws ban the carrying of firearms in federal buildings.

As I understand the law, even the rest rooms or outhouses are federal buildings.

mrortega

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Jul 9, 2008
    Just west of Evansville
    I guess i just wont take a **** in the park then.
    Not unless you're a bear or the Pope. :D

At Klingman's Dome the parking area has new restrooms, although they're just glorified out houses. No problem using them. (Just don't drop your piece into the hole that goes we know not where.) The old bathroom building about 50 yards up the trail toward the observation tower has been turned into a gift shop. There is a "no firearm" sign there. Rest rooms should be okay throughout the park unless they are in a building like a visitors center, gift shop or park offices.

I don't think there is any Cherokee land in the park on the N.C. side of the border but if so some Indian nations have their own laws.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Be careful... carry in NC state parks is against the law. Be sure you know where you are and don't inadvertently enter a bordering state park.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    Be careful... carry in NC state parks is against the law. Be sure you know where you are and don't inadvertently enter a bordering state park.

What he said. NC is/was a pain in the ass. No carry in restaurants that serve alcohol either. Actually just checked and it appears that you can now carry in state parks? I was just there in June and swear it was a NO?

subtlesixer03

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 22, 2010
    It isn't a grey area:
    You can not carry into any federally owned buildings in National Parks/National Wildlife Refuges as other federal laws ban the carrying of firearms in federal buildings.

As I understand the law, even the rest rooms or outhouses are federal buildings.

This is correct. I carried when there last year. There were a few of us guys that stopped just at the door and saw the signs. It was kinda funny Because a ranger saw me stop dead in my tracks and tell my wife I couldnt go in. He just Kinda smiled and chuckled. As I was told be some many of the rangers think its stupid also.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Shooting a bear in the national park is a world of crap I dont ever want to deal with. I am hoping like the last time I went every bear we came across was accompanied by quite a few spectators that I knew I could out run.

Never had a bear in camp. I pray I never have to deal with that.

Gary Slider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Any federal owned building is off limits. Federal Law states it must be posted. So if it is posted it is no carry. If it is not posted then you can carry there.

Some of the federal parks are posting outside areas like where a Park Ranger gives a talk etc. This is the gray area. But if you see a no firearms sign don't carry there.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    This is correct. I carried when there last year. There were a few of us guys that stopped just at the door and saw the signs. It was kinda funny Because a ranger saw me stop dead in my tracks and tell my wife I couldnt go in. He just Kinda smiled and chuckled. As I was told be some many of the rangers think its stupid also.
    I did the same thing in Cades cove. We went with some friends, and the guy happened to be a Minister, They wanted to check out the old churches in the cove, so we'd park, get out, and I'd stroll around outside while my wife and the other couple went in a looked around. At the third church we stopped at, I looked in the door and saw our friends leaning in close and whispering to each other, and then say something to my wife in a whispered tone. When they came out, they were all grinning, my wife had explained I was CCing and could not enter any buildings, and Chuck came over to me and said "I really didn't know what was going on, but I know now, and feel a little safer knowing we have an armed guard with us"! :): After that, when hiking some of the trails, I got volunteered to take the point every time.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    HEH

Literally just got back from there last Friday. As stated in previous post, Clingman's Dome gift-shop is marked no firearms, that was the ONLY no firearms sign I saw my entire week down there (I didn't visit any of the parks visitor centers). Was in TN and NC for the record, no issues, no one bothered me at all, I let mine print so I know people knew I had it but not a word from anyone. Also, since you're probably passing through KY, keep their laws in mind as well if you stop at any attractions there.

note: The no-handgun signs in TN must have verbage a picture of a gun with circle and line through it is not sufficient, but again, didn't see any signs anyhow.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Also, just because a building is IN the GSMNP doesn't automatically mean it's owned / administrated by the GSMNP.

Think there's a working grist mill just off of 441south of Gatlinburg that's owned / operated by a historical society.

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    From the National Parks Web Site...

As of February 22, 2010, a new federal law allows people who can legally possess firearms under applicable federal, state, and local laws, to legally possess firearms in this park. It is the responsibility of visitors to understand and comply with all applicable state, local, and federal firearms laws before entering this park

1forguns

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Sep 29, 2011
    I guess that you could always do your business leaning on a tree next to the building right.....laws, some are great and others....well

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Ok 1 more question? My carry gun is chambered in 9mm. If a bear does decide that I look tasty should I just put my head between my legs and kiss my ass goodbye?

What ammo should I be packing. My initial thought was 147gr. FMJ +p

Top Bottom