• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    Ive seen a lot of confusing fighting about this topic so I thought I'd go straight to the po-po and ask myself. As a student at IU, firearms of any kind are not permitted on campus. Indiana University has their own police department and if you are a student, your weapon will be confiscated regardless of whether you are licensed to carry it or not. A formal complaint will also be written to the deans office against you and go into your academic record. However, if you are passing through campus on a public street you are allowed to carry. You must simply be passing through though. Obviously this is only relevant for students specifically at Indiana University Bloomington. Smaller schools without dedicated police departments may be less harsh. Hope this clears anything up for any curious IUB gun owners.

kawtech87

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Nov 17, 2011
    Martinsville
    Always carry, never tell.

THIS^^

Deep conceal your pistol, and OC pepper spray.

My fiance is currently taking classes at IUPUI.

She does not carry anything other than pepper spray and a folding knife on campus right now, but Im hoping we can find a good sub compact 9mm she can both shoot well and deep conceal.

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I am thinking that it should be illegal for them to confiscate your firearm....because what LAW did you break carrying on a University campus? None...so what grounds do they have to confiscate your firearm?

Somebody needs to carry a Bryce/Jennings there, get it confiscated, and then sue the bejeebus out of them for illegal search and seizure...

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    I dont really understand the reasoning behind it. It's not a law persay but it is University policy and I'd rather not risk expulsion during my final year of college.

Lammchop93

Master
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Oct 23, 2011
    Floyds Knobs
    I've thought about CC'ing at UofL where I go, but I just do not want to lose my chance to get a degree. It's definitely a topic to think on. Especially with the increase in violent crimes throughout the country.

Indy317

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 27, 2008
    They have no basis to confiscate the firearm. They can tell you to leave the property though, and failure to do that could result in arrest. However, as a student, you have contractual interest, which would make for an interesting criminal case for sure. They may have to formally serve you a letter indicating your suspension from school, then they may be in a better case (court wise) with the trespass arrest (if it got to that point).

As far as the public street, they can't order anyone to leave. However, if one is in the street, blocking traffic, etc., that is different. They also can't order people not to carry if they are on public sidewalks adjacent to public streets. If they could prove that IU was responsible for the sidewalks and maintained the sidewalks, they would have a better argument though.

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    they actually said it would be confiscated until you could pick it up off campus. I had no idea what he meant. more confusion :rolleyes:

Sylvain

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 30, 2010
    Normandy
    they actually said it would be confiscated until you could pick it up off campus. I had no idea what he meant. more confusion :rolleyes:

You have to stand off campus and they throw it to you from the campus as you try to catch the gun with a baseball glove, maybe? :dunno:

Amac91

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 27, 2012
    NWI
    its probably a special easter egg hunt type thing. the more people who get their **** taken the merrier

BlueEagle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Southern Indiana
    I've thought about CC'ing at UofL where I go, but I just do not want to lose my chance to get a degree. It's definitely a topic to think on. Especially with the increase in violent crimes throughout the country.

I went to U of L for awhile. What's in your backpack is nobodies business but your own.

Just keep your backpack on you at all times; no exceptions. Good rule of thumb regardless of what is in it.

atalon

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 6, 2012
    Indy
    Best not to be asking the Po-Po for gun carry advice. They tend to get it wrong more times than not.
    Not only do they get it wrong a lot, depending on the location they have been told to out right lie to try to keep people from carrying. :xmad:

ZWolf

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 15, 2011
    I was told by one of the more conservative instructors here at IUPUI that since it is state property even if it doesn't fall in the legal definition of a school (for firearm purposes), but instead as that of gov. owned property thus making it illegal. Whether that's true or not I haven't been able to check yet.:dunno:
    One way or another it's quite annoying, but I guess it's my decision to come here.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I was told by one of the more conservative instructors here at IUPUI that since it is state property even if it doesn't fall in the legal definition of a school (for firearm purposes), but instead as that of gov. owned property thus making it illegal. Whether that's true or not I haven't been able to check yet.:dunno:
    One way or another it's quite annoying, but I guess it's my decision to come here.

Conservative =/= knowledgeable.

There is no statute that bars carry fro ALL "state property". Look up the I.C. show it to the instructor, too.

Top Bottom