• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • FatGeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    A friend's wife accepted a 2nd shift management position and is shopping for a carry pistol and the biggest problem is she cannot reach the trigger on 9mm and higher caliber pistols. Right now their top pick is the Bersa .380. I don't like .380, I have owned them, please don't try to convince me otherwise.

Do any of you or your wives have the same issue with grip size, and if so, which pistols 9mm and above did you choose for concealed carry? I recommended the lady smith or the older .38/.357 revolvers with the small wood grips, but revolvers are out because they haven't held any of the newer ultralights or polymers and assumed all wheel guns would be too heavy.

Suggestions? Please don't debate/defend .380 caliber and smaller, its a waste of time. Thank you.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Options:

1. Compact Glocks, 19 and 26, may work if you havent tried them.
    2. 1911 platform, maybe Commander sized, remove the grip panels and bushings and cover them in skateboard tape, perhaps install short trigger.
    3. Single stack Sig or Smith and Wesson, Smiths have a shorter trigger pull and reset I believe and they may fit her. Also some can have their grip panels removed which will dramatically change the feel and fit.
    4. Snubbie revolver. Save some money and get a steel framed one and it wont be too bad to shoot. Smith used to do a J frame with 3" barrel that wasnt too bad at all to shoot.

Last edited:

scottka

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jun 28, 2009
    SW IN
    Maybe try out the Ruger SR9 or SR9c as they are relatively thin and may allow her to reach the trigger. If they are too big, maybe the Taurus 709 Slim would be worth a shot?

Bflo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 2, 2010
    what guns has she tried already?
    The kel tec pf9 is rather slim, but she might not light the kick.

FatGeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Mike, the G26 came to mind also but Glock didn't come up in conversation and she has held 30+ guns in the past week. A 1911 officer with super thin grips came to mind, but with them being opposed to heavier units she will need to try one in person in a carry rig.

Scott, the Taurus 709 Slim came up when we talked this weekend but I don't remember if that one was out of reach also.

WeakerBrother, I think Kahr is out of their budget. He didn't give me a dollar figure but everything they mentioned was under $450.

Thanks for the quick responses. I just looked up the Ruger polymer .38+P 5 shot, I've held one in person, it is so light it is unbelievable, wouldn't mind making that a BUG myself, I'll ask him to see if the grip works for her.

LLDJR

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 2, 2009
    Southside/Southport
    As suggested, Kahr; especially the PM9.

Kahr PM9
    party.gif

FatGeek

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    PF9 was my first recommendation, she can't reach the trigger.

Kahr didn't come to mind, will recommend it next time I talk to them. Just looked up the dimensions on the PM9, that is sweet.

Thanks for the quick responses.

EPD1102

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Evansville
    There have been several good suggestions so far. Another possibility would be the Sig P250 Compact with the small grip module. I think the trigger would also be good for a new shooter.

jesse485

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 21, 2008
    La Porte
    Yep, Kahr PM9 or PM40. Thread over.

I'll agree with you on the 9, but have you shot the .40? I own one and it is a handful of fury. I would only recommend the 9 to someone who isn't very well versed with strong recoil. And yes, I own a PM 40 that has been a good gun, it's just a mean little bugger.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    If their budget is $450, then a Kahr CW-9 is right up their alley.

should be able to get the gun for $400-ish and then scour the 'net for an extra magazine or two.

How much experience does she have with firearms? Does she LIKE to shoot? Is she recoil sensitive?

-J-

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    The Kel Tec PF-9 would likely do very well for her, my ex has small hands and it fits her great and she shoots it well. Length of pull from the backstrap to the trigger face is just 2 1/2 inches.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I have a Khar pm9 and a S&W M&P specifically for the same reason. It isn't the width of the grip that gets me nearly as much as the distance from the back of the handle to the trigger due to my short fingers. I don't know where you are located but your best bet is to go to a well stocked store and get some in her hands. In my experience it is not entirely whether the handgun is full size or compact. Guys with big hands want concealable guns too so they make really small guns that my fingers can't reach the trigger on. My M&P is a pro series and with the smallest back-strap it is fine (if they ever make an even smaller one I'll buy it in a minute).

Top Bottom