• ...and so much more!
  • femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    In public just remember;
    1) Never argue with a fool, onlookers might not be able to tell the difference
    2) As George Bernard Shaw said "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
    3) If you start slinging mud you're losing ground

If you get in a discussion with a member of MDA and it becomes heated then you've lost. They'll claim that the presence of the gun was intimidating and that you're a #gunbully, and as we all know they like to photograph gun owners to try and shame them. Be polite. Use facts. Use logic. Don't raise your voice.

Honestly I think the best thing you can do with "those people" is to politely wish them a good day and excuse yourself. There is n-o-t-h-I-n-g any of "us" can do or say that will sway them. Until they experience an epiphany such as a carjacking, home invasion, robbery, mugging, etc where they are completely helpless, they will never get it.

And then try not to strain your neck watching them back peddle it to the nearest LGS and instructor to come over to the dark side.

Sonney

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 24, 2012
    He chose to open carry let him defend it. What would you do if it got out of hand most people get passionate about their point of view. Remember the responsibility you have when you have a weapon on. Don't take it lightly or you might get yourself into a problem.

Sonney

OakRiver

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    IN
    Honestly I think the best thing you can do with "those people" is to politely wish them a good day and excuse yourself. There is n-o-t-h-I-n-g any of "us" can do or say that will sway them. Until they experience an epiphany such as a carjacking, home invasion, robbery, mugging, etc where they are completely helpless, they will never get it.

And then try not to strain your neck watching them back peddle it to the nearest LGS and instructor to come over to the dark side.
    Very true. As the old saying goes a conservative is a liberal who has been mugged. Some people can't listen to the wisdom of others, and have to experience things for themselves

TheSpark

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2013
    Let's say you're somewhere ( makes no difference I think), and you are CCing. You notice another person who is OCing about the same time that a soccer mom or dad also notices the OCer. To shorten the story here.. Soccer mom/dad begins to express stupid concerns verbally for all to hear which then the OCer begins to defend his/her right to carry. Let's say it ends up being a strong verbal exchange. Possibly multiple people involved. DO YOU .. Step in to help defend all of our rights to carry , which putting 2 & 2 together means you outed yourself , or continue to CC quietly. My vote is for the first option .

If a strong verbal exchange ensues then you are probably dealing with a die-hard anti-gun wacko who there will be absolutely no reasoning with. I do not believe joining in would be the best idea either. You don't really need to defend your rights to some soccer mom. Informing her is okay but defending, if she disagrees, is pretty much useless. Also, if the carrier is using strong language as well I believe he is actually hurting his cause and if you join in as well it will look like all carriers are that way.

If someone who open carries, or an outed concealed carrier, is ever confronted by someone like this (who is not the police, that is a different matter) they should remain calm throughout the encounter and realize that the odds they will ever change the indoctrinated ideology of the anti-gun individual is slim to none. If they make a scene of it then walking away or ignoring the individual is the best course of action.

Remember, the sheep don't see too many people open carrying or realize when they pass someone conceal carrying. When someone knows you are carrying you will have a great influence on what they think of carriers in general. Respect that "power" and take care to make sure you don't make bad impressions.

Last edited:

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    I would offer my argumentative skills for awhile, then I would offer anal bleaching coupons to lighten the mood. Nothing gets people together faster then Midget Strippers performing random anal bleaching on angry soccer moms!!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I would cross mountains, rivers and deserts to get some of that argument. :):

YOU??? Say it ain't so, ATM! ;)

Someone mentioned something about my OCd revolver. A LOT of people showed her their concealed gun. There were a dozen or so.the look was priceless.

While I'm not one to use my gun as a prop, or for any other reason other than the defense of life and/or property, I can see the humor in this: "Can you believe he's carrying a GUN? HERE???"
    "What, like this one?"
    "And mine?"
    "And ours over here?"
    "And this one?"
    "And this?" etc...
    Priceless.

That's your reasoning for CC? I'm a horrible arguer, just ask INGO, so I'd probably just walk away otherwise they'll get pissed for all of the sarcasm thrown their way. I'm a straight up kinda guy, I tell it how it is and don't care what people think about it.

Know the whole "catch more flies with honey" thing? While most of us don't want any flies, the point is a good one. When you ridicule them, they just dig their heels in and fight harder and dirtier. You don't care what they think, no, but would you care to make a "convert", that is, someone else who carries and votes our way? That, and doing likewise for onlookers from "on the fence" or even those on the MdA side who, like many here, wouldn't get into someone else's argument, but are watching.... THAT'S the real prize here.

In public just remember;
    1) Never argue with a fool, onlookers might not be able to tell the difference
    2) As George Bernard Shaw said "I learned long ago, never to wrestle with a pig. You get dirty, and besides, the pig likes it."
    3) If you start slinging mud you're losing ground

If you get in a discussion with a member of MDA and it becomes heated then you've lost. They'll claim that the presence of the gun was intimidating and that you're a #gunbully, and as we all know they like to photograph gun owners to try and shame them. Be polite. Use facts. Use logic. Don't raise your voice.

This, exactly. Calmly, rationally asking them, "Why are you becoming so excited about this? I haven't raised my voice, and I haven't moved, other than to turn to politely look at you as you're speaking." puts them on the defensive, and those watching will see that you're the calm, cool, collected person, and that they are losing, not only the argument they started, but their own composure. One thing I won't do is apologize for carrying. I'm doing nothing wrong, and was peacefully minding my own business when someone got their knickers in a twist. That's not my fault, that one's on them.

One example I used in an open forum at our local library one time was in response to the "he'll just take the gun away from you!" argument. I picked up a TV remote control and stood maybe 10, 12 feet from the person making that claim, and said, "OK, let's test that. Imagine this is a gun. Now take it away from me." She didn't move. I continued, "Sure, it's possible someone could do that, if you, the person defending yourself, do not have the will to pull the trigger." and went back to the rest of the presentation I was making. I don't know if I changed her mind, but I gave her something to think about. Another demonstration like that is to hand the remote (or any other simple, harmless object) to the person sitting next to them and say, "OK, he's assaulting you. What are you going to do? Call 911? Sure, when it's all done, if he hasn't taken your phone. There aren't any cops here to stop him, just you. You can give in, and hope he's not also a rapist or hope he doesn't believe "dead men tell no tales", or you can do something to stop him, here and now. Wouldn't that be more effective?"

To the OP: Would I get involved? Maybe. Depends on the situation, as others have said, but if we're going to win hearts and minds, we're going to do it one at a time, since we don't have the media on our side. If we don't try for those, one at a time, who will show them the truth?

Blessings,
    Bill

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I would be interested to see the anti-gun MDA type who would verbally accost an OCer out "in the wild". I'm not sure such creature actually exists - certainly, not in great numbers.

If it did, I would, in a civil manner, join in the conversation. One of the first curiosities I would request to have answered is, if the challenger is so deathly afraid of the mere sight of a holstered firearm, how and why did that person escalate the situation by confronting the person carrying that firearm?

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I would be interested to see the anti-gun MDA type who would verbally accost an OCer out "in the wild". I'm not sure such creature actually exists - certainly, not in great numbers.

If it did, I would, in a civil manner, join in the conversation. One of the first curiosities I would request to have answered is, if the challenger is so deathly afraid of the mere sight of a holstered firearm, how and why did that person escalate the situation by confronting the person carrying that firearm?

Warthog had an incident where a guy and wife laid on the ground acting scared.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Warthog had an incident where a guy and wife laid on the ground acting scared.

Yes, but that's something completely different, that would elicit a completely different response. It also helps prove my point: the old codger didn't confront the OCer, he freaked out in a panic attack and probably almost injured his wife in the process.

LockStocksAndBarrel

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    I had a lady tell me that it was inappropriate for me to be OCing in a Martin's grocery store a couple of months ago. She said it was rude since a customer and an employee were killed in a Martin's store 20 miles away about a year ago by a nut job that walked in and started shooting.

I asked her if I understood her correctly in that she was saying it was a bad idea for me to be armed because a nut job might walk in and start shooting???

She stood there gaping at me. I thanked her for her input and walked away.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I had a lady tell me that it was inappropriate for me to be OCing in a Martin's grocery store a couple of months ago. She said it was rude since a customer and an employee were killed in a Martin's store 20 miles away about a year ago by a nut job that walked in and started shooting.

I asked her if I understood her correctly in that she was saying it was a bad idea for me to be armed because a nut job might walk in and start shooting???

She stood there gaping at me. I thanked her for her input and walked away.

These people have no clue what illogical bullies they're being, do they?

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Would depend upon the circumstances, but if the OCer was being reasonable, I would speak up on the pro-carry side. Whether I am carrying or not is irrelevant and none of her business.

Informed Decision

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 11, 2014
    Evansville
    My train of thought here is that too many times the all mighty dollar affects our lives. I would not want an OCer to be standing alone in an establishment with many people sitting around listening to this go down. Now the manager sees one person with a firearm & 15 others that don't. Dollar bills say he's better off to lose 1 customer than the 15 that aren't carrying which I am part of that group since I'm CCing. Calm conversion is the right way but also strength in numbers against a public that isn't used to having firearms around them can show them it's more common than they realize. I still think I would assist.

Top Bottom