• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    In a gathering of peers to complete a high stressed task, where there is no formal rank structure, what does the following statement communicate to the group.

1) "This is what we are doing, and its not up for discussion."

New variables... the person making the decision is least experienced in the field, has limited knowledge on the data used to make the decision/statement. Has demenstated in the past contemptness toward humility.

Next question,

2) How do you suggest the best way to communicate disapproval with a statement like that, both acutely and long term?

Signed,
    Sand in the undies

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Sometimes you have to let them take the reins and succeed or fail on their own merit. If he's decided to be (or was given) the leadership of the project, then maybe you should let him. You never know; he might surprise you. Or he might fall flat on his face. Either way, it will be a learning experience.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    Is this person in charge? You said there was no formal rank structure but yet someone is taking command.

I would ask that person for a private moment of their time and tell them they are wrong. If they scoff at you I would tell the whole group why that person is wrong.

popsmoke

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2012
    In my experience, things like this can't be addressed in the moment, and once they've committed themselves to the thought so obtusely, there's no hope.

The problem with leadership reaction courses is that you invariably get bad leaders reacting sometimes.
    I'd just make a mental note of it, and keep it in mind when it's time for evaluations in the after action report.

fallenangel1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 26, 2013
    Leaders don't have to be the best a given task or have the most knowledge of a subject or be the oldest and wisest. Some people regardless of age and experience are just better at handling other people.

Not really saying what to do one way or another, just something to think about.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    High stress, but low risk?
    "I think it is a terrible idea, but hey, it looks like you are in charge."
    Let this self-appointed leader shoulder the responsibility, and go along for the ride.

High stress, high risk?
    Well, after I get done laughing (to at least reduce MY tension):
    "Uh, no. I don't think so. Let's get some other ideas on the table and see what we have to work with."
    Diffuse, small challenge to the self-imposed authority, keep the group involved, and focus back on the issue.

High stress, low risk, and a group I know well?
    "Sit down, dip****."

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    No leader means no one person owning the result. I've been in situations like that and it seems like nothing gets done. He's probably just frustrated with a lot of talk and no action. Someone, somewhere needs to have ownership of it to make the final call. If you were left to do it without this structure, shame on your manager.

Be political about it. State why it's a good idea, why it's a bad idea, and then praise him for trying to get it done. +-+ usually works pretty well. But unless you have a good solution yourself, don't speak against his.

24Carat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 20, 2010
    Newburgh
    The natural leader will surface. The process may not be pretty but it happens more often than not given enough time to flesh out.

Top Bottom