• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ThrottleJockey

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Between Greenwood and Martinsville
    Okay, I'm at the point where I am so absolutely completely totally irreversibly DISGUSTED with the public school and how they teach (or rather don't teach) that I am pulling my 2nd grade daughter next week. I have no idea what we're going to do yet, we can't afford a private school even with the voucher program, and I absolutely don't care if they even try to charge me with anything or if they even can. The only thing I know for certain right now is that she WILL NOT be going back after Wednesday. Does anyone have experience with Connections Academy? I could really use some help here, any info or input will help. I'm begging anyone and everyone for any and all help I can get, PLEASE HELP ME ensure that my child does NOT become the brainwashed ignorant uneducated sheeple that they are trying to turn her into. Any info on other programs that may be useful is also appreciated. I don't know what to do.

Shelly1582

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Our kids do a virtual public school option through k12.com and Hoosier academy. They send supplies and provide structure at no cost to you. Until this Semester, our second grade daughter was still going to our local school. We tired of the sexual education she was receiving from fellow second graders. With HA you can either sign up for full online, or where your child attends a learning center two days a week paired with online. If you have any other questions I'll do my best to answer them.

donnie1581

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 5, 2011
    Elwood, IN

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Our boys did Connections Academy here in PA for three years. It was a good experience for us. It was online - guided by you, but with certified teachers for every subject. The teachers were great and they had a local coordinator to organize field trips and gym days. We often combined with local home schoolers to do activities ie. skiing, used local university for swim and gym weekly, field trips etc. You do have the option to do your own things as well. It has been four or five years however, since I have had any contact with them.

My only regret is that we did not start sooner. My boys were in 7-9th grades. My oldest wanted to go to public school for high school. It was a bad choice for him. We survived but, did not thrive.

I definitely think the sooner you make the change the better it works. Here in PA, Connections provided books and computer and prepaid envelopes for things we mailed in. They billed the local school district for everything - no cost to us). You can imagine how the school felt about that, and did we ever hear about it. I was always quick to point out to them that I paid my fair share of taxes and was choosing to exercise my choices. Still alot of fighting in state capital over this issue.

As we progressed they did more writing and classes online(which was cool - they could go back and listen to a session any time). When the boys wrote papers, the feedback was way quicker than anything they have received in public school. By the next day, if not sooner, they would have a note from the teacher.

I won't bore you with details, but if you want more feedback I am glad to help any way I can.

I would definitely check them out.:twocents: It is a great option for parents who may not want to shoulder the burden alone.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I know several high school teachers that have joined Connections and have talked with them about the format, the type/amount of interaction with their students, the lessons, etc. and I'm rather jealous (I teach at a private high school myself) of their setup. I know that Connections has quality teachers working there, and I'd say their students probably get a better education than they would in a regular public school. The only "downside" to a school like Connections is that the students ARE responsible for doing their assignments and asking questions when they don't understand or need something clarified. Their grades are posted real-time, so parents have a very easy time keeping track of where their kids are doing well and maybe not so well.

I will have to warn you though--at least for the high school grades, there is a significant wait list for kids to get in. At the moment, they just don't have the capacity to take in everyone who applies. I'd say that alone says something for their effectiveness and reputation right there...or maybe just how dissatisfied folks are with the traditional school systems, anyway.

Hope that helps!!

:twocents:

PAMom

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 5, 2011
    Okay, I'm at the point where I am so absolutely completely totally irreversibly DISGUSTED with the public school and how they teach (or rather don't teach) that I am pulling my 2nd grade daughter next week. I have no idea what we're going to do yet, we can't afford a private school even with the voucher program, and I absolutely don't care if they even try to charge me with anything or if they even can. The only thing I know for certain right now is that she WILL NOT be going back after Wednesday. Does anyone have experience with Connections Academy? I could really use some help here, any info or input will help. I'm begging anyone and everyone for any and all help I can get, PLEASE HELP ME ensure that my child does NOT become the brainwashed ignorant uneducated sheeple that they are trying to turn her into. Any info on other programs that may be useful is also appreciated. I don't know what to do.

If you didn't get my message let me know and I will try again. I screwed it up the first time and lost it.

Top Bottom